Denali 289RK water pump - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2015, 02:41 PM   #1

Illinois
Denali 289RK water pump

During the last trip of last season, my pump stopped pumping water when there was about 17 gal of water still in the fresh tank (52 gal cap.) filled it up, and it would work again until it got lower. I was ready to just replace the pump and hope that was the issue. As I was getting the TT ready for this season, the furnace wouldn't ignite. Soooo, thinking I was still under warranty, I pulled it to my local dealer and told them about the pump issue also. The furnace needed a new board ($325, not under warranty) and they said that they dropped the underbelly, looked, filled the tank and the pump pumped out the tank a few times. I was shocked. Then, this past Tuesday, we started our first trip.filled the fresh tank and guess what happened??? Air, water, air, water, air, air, little bit of water, air. I looked into the filter housing and very little water. Seems the pump isn't priming itself. I ordered a ShurFlo pump to have when I get back. I researched the existing pump and all indications are it won't last a year. I am hoping it is just the pump, I don't feel like trying to get at the underside and removing the cover. And thoughts?

cmarkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:08 PM   #2

Missouri
You know, mine started doing the same thing last weekend. I thought the water was about empty, the indicator had one light, so I filled up the tank. Then again at the end of the trip it started sucking in air. The water level was low, but I didn't think I used all of the 52 gallons, should have been at least a quarter tank.
Let me know if the sureflow pump fixes the problem. I may have to do the same thing. We don't camp for two more weeks so I wont be able to investigate until then.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:26 AM   #3

Illinois
EricNSTL, this is wierd. Last August, I sent you some pics because you were having the same issues with your plumbing that I had and you wanted the pics to show the dealer/factory. Now you are having the same problem with your pump. I think the same drunks made your trailer and mine on the same Monday. And they must have been inspected by the same quality assurance people too.
I will be putting in the new pump this coming week then leaving for another week's camping the week after next. I'll let you know how everything snakes out.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:20 PM   #4

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarkj View Post
EricNSTL, this is wierd. Last August, I sent you some pics because you were having the same issues with your plumbing that I had and you wanted the pics to show the dealer/factory. Now you are having the same problem with your pump. I think the same drunks made your trailer and mine on the same Monday. And they must have been inspected by the same quality assurance people too.
I will be putting in the new pump this coming week then leaving for another week's camping the week after next. I'll let you know how everything snakes out.
I bet our trailers were made around the same time. My VIN last 5 digits are 33154, I'm guessing yours is close to that.
Your pictures did help me with my black tank valve, but I still had to pay $200 to get it plumbed properly. (This was the only issue I had with my dealer, they said that Keystone would only pay them to investigate the valve issue, and Keystone deemed that it was done correctly. So the dealer worked it out to add the black valve, but I had to pay some.)
Other then these issues we have shared, I am still pleased with my TT, and really haven't had any major issues.

As for the water pump issue. I was thinking that I need to figure out were the air is coming from, and why only when the tank gets low. I don't have any leaks that I have noticed, so I am assuming that the piping is good.

2014 Denali 289RK
Old 05-01-2015, 11:52 PM   #5

Missouri
I went ahead a bought a shurflow 4008 pump. I was sucking air before replacement, just like you mentioned, and now it pumping the way it was supposed to. I did find that the strainer screen had a lot of stuff in it. I don't know I this could have been the cause, but I cleaned it out and reinstalled.
The new pump seemed a little quieter. I only ran the pump a little by flowing water in the sink to test, so I cant say anything about the pressure.
I figured that for $69 buck, it was worth the upgrade, since my next two trips are electric hook ups only and I didn't want to have the problem get worse.

2014 Denali 289RK
Old 05-03-2015, 01:51 PM   #6

Illinois
I installed my new ShurFlo the other day and was going to call it good. I cleaned out the filer (screen) from the original pump and put it on the new pump. My wife was adimit about me checking out the pump because we are leaving in 2 days for another trip. I put some water into the fresh tank, turned on the pump and low and behold, same problem !! Pump wasn't priming most of the time ! I sat back and thought a bit, I was ready to start tearing into the underbelly but thought I would try one more thing (something I should have tried before I replaced the pump). I looked under where the pump was and there was now a puddle under the inlet side of the pump. I pulled off the strainer and hooked the water line directly up to the pump. Tada! Primed right up, tons of pressure, and the pump stops almost immediately after closing a tap. Quiet as can be compared to the original pump! As I think back, there has always been a bit too much air in the lines since I bought the TT. I think there was always a hairline crack in the screen housing that just got worse over time. I hope everything is back to normal now.