Cleaning Gray Water Tank - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2019, 10:19 PM   #1

California
Cleaning Gray Water Tank

Hi

We have a 2014 276RBS Dutchman trailer and need to flush out the grey water tank. It is full of nasty gunk we need to flush out, it has got so bad that we can only take 1 or 2 showers before it needs emptying again.

A while back we had a similar problem with the black water tank so bought one of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BUQOCC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_uQ-NCbRZPTYSG attached a hose and stuck it down the toilet. That really worked and the black tank can now got a couple of weeks between needing to be emptied.

Unfortunately I don't know how to get it into the gray tank, this isn't a convenient hole like the toilet.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

N3vik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:06 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
No easy way to get into the gray tank. I use the Geo-Method and have never had a problem in over 30 years.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 03:24 PM   #3

California
Best way to take care of the grey tank is to use Happy Camper. When you are ready to move to next site drain only half of the tank, drive to the next stop with the chemical in it. The trip will slosh around the "stuff" in the tank and clean it. Dump when you are at the next park etc. If this does not get all of it repeat for the next trip.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:16 PM   #4

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
No easy way to get into the gray tank. I use the Geo-Method and have never had a problem in over 30 years.

Aaron

Been using this method from day 1. I use liquid water softener and Dawn Green Apple dish soap. Leaves smelling a lot better than what it normally does. I also use bleach tabs so no liquid to splash around. Both my tanks drain clean, the black tank has mostly clear to cloudy water and you can see the chunks flow out. I'm a believer.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:41 PM   #5

Texas
“Recipe” for the All Pro Water Flow Tank Solution
Mix up a gallon of this solution to use in both your black and gray tanks while you are RVing. It will keep the internal surfaces of your RV’s holding tanks slippery (reduces build-up), sanitizes the tanks, and has a nice, fresh smell.
Start with an empty gallon jugPour 1/4 cup (4 ounces) of Calgon Bath Beads (or liquid) into the gallon jugFill the jug 1/2 full with water. Shake well.Slowly pour 40 ounces of Pine-Sol into the jug. Shake well.Top off the gallon jug with water. Shake well.
Use 8 ounces (one cup) in your black tank(s) and 4 ounces (1/2 cup) in your gray tank(s) each time, after emptying and backflushing.
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:31 PM   #6

Illinois
Hmm, I personally have to avoid pine smelling cleaners in the RV. Brings back a horrible memory from my youth.

We were camping in a 1973 Champion 24' motorhome. My dad didn't empty the tank before the trip, and back then everything went into one tank. Well, it was hot out, and during our drive home it all came to a head, literally, the aroma escaping the head was horrible, and my mom and dad tried to cover it up with pine scented air freshener.

Didn't work.

So now when I smell pine scented anything, it reminds me of that trip. That's why I selected Green Apple Dawn. LOL
Old 04-01-2019, 06:37 PM   #7

Arizona
What in the world are you putting in your gray tank besides shower water and sink water? This is the first I've heard of a gray tank having issues.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:40 PM   #8

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
What in the world are you putting in your gray tank besides shower water and sink water? This is the first I've heard of a gray tank having issues.

Sounds like maybe food grease got washed into it. It was one of the first things I made sure that whoever was washing dishes did not do.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:46 PM   #9

California
Yes, I'm afraid it is probably food grease.
N3vik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:48 PM   #10

Illinois
That can be some nasty stuff. I should post a picture of my ejection pump for my kitchen and how bad it gets with food grease.

You might want to dump a small bottle of Dawn down the sinks and fill the tank, let it soak for a while to help break down the grease.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:27 AM   #11

Arizona
That sux about the grease. All our grease gets poured into a coffee cup until it cools and then gets dumped into the garbage. Well two coffee cups, we cooked a pound of bacon over the weekend. Yum.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:46 PM   #12

Tennessee
I would try a scoop of Oxiclean or any other Sodium percarbonate. Premix it in a gallon of warm water then pout it down any drain, fill the tank up and let it sit overnight, then drain.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:18 PM   #13

Wisconsin
A large solid pile in your gray tank is a serious problem, especially if it is primarily food grease. Soaking with anything is going to take a long time. Think weeks or months. There won't be enough mechanical stirring to dislodge the stuff. There are some septic tank concoctions, but they take weeks or months to work.
The driving with one of the concoctions posted above in a half full tank may be enough, but it will take time (repeat fill, agitate, empty) to dislodge all of it. Large chunks may block the drain. Possibly a short flexible plumbing snake can keep the drain open.
If it is mostly grease, you need to get the temperature up above 99 degrees F to soften or melt it. Half filling with chemical and hot tap water plus driving may accelerate the process. I would keep a plumbing snake handy.
Do you know any plumbers?
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:44 PM   #14

Illinois
Alternately there is Yeast and Enzymes that will eat the grease, https://www.amazon.com/Crud-Chuggers...gateway&sr=8-5

Like what is used in a Septic tank, can be done in the holding tank to help break down the crud, but the tank needs to be nearly full for it to work and will take time.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:54 AM   #15

Texas
If you really want to cure your tank, cast, you can call the best: All Pro Water Flow, nationwide network of holding tank cleaning companies that is what they do and I have heard great results and some folks use them annually just to keep clean. I have not had the need but have them in my list just in case. Good luck, keep us posted.
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:10 AM   #16

Colorado
Geo-Method

Hey Wahoonc,

Thanks for the Geo-method link. I found it to be very interesting and informative.

-Lee

leisuresolar@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote