Camping at near zero temps - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2019, 02:38 PM   #1

Alaska
Camping at near zero temps

Voltage V3005 toy hauler
Currently in park city Utah. This morning 9 degrees and water is not working. Have put two electric heaters in the plumbing heating area and that has helped some but not this morning. Seems if I were to insulate front compartment from heating plumbing area that could be helpful

Has anyone made any updates

Tank heaters on My initial issue was kitchen water wouldn’t work but with cold this morning nothing.

It seems to me with a little bit of working on these issues could be resolved

Other than that trailer has been wam and comfortable

Bill

Wbgran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 03:19 PM   #2

Wyoming
Ok, you didn't mention other factors... so I'll bring them up, just in case:
  • Your water hose... is it heated, and/or insulated?
  • What about the city-water tap itself? Has it frozen up, or is it protected?
  • Has the RV park itself turned off the water supply to protect their own equipment? Some campgrounds do this.
  • Do you have water in your fresh water tank... and if so, are you able to move water via the water pump? This can help you determine if it's your RV pipes are the issue.

The coldest I ever endured was over-night temps in the mid-20s, but rose above freezing by mid-morning. All of my plumbing still worked, but I swore I'd never voluntarily test it again. I can't imagine enduring single-digits.

You mentioned heaters in the plumbing area. Not sure exactly where you meant there... but if you didn't mean your pass-thru storage / basement area, here's what I did.

First, I use these small electric ceramic heaters to keep my rig warm. I have 3 of them, and using them is much cheaper than using my propane furnace (especially when campground electricity is free!). They have adjustable thermostats, so you can set as desired & leave them on continuously... and are safe for use, even when away from the rig.

I use 2 in the living area... and when I know temps may possibly go below freezing, I use 1 of them in the basement.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pelonis.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	6011

In the kitchen area, some of my plumbing runs along the bottom of the cabinets (under the drawers)... so I open the doors, and the bottom drawers so the heat from the interior gets to those spaces.

In the basement, I have a hole cut into the wall where I place one of those heaters to blow continuous hot air into that cavity where the plumbing below the floor is. Not only does it keep those pipes warm, but has the added benefit of keeping your interior floor warmer for walking on too (especially the bathroom!).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement Hole 1.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	6012 Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement Hole 2.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	6013 Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement Hole 3.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	6014

Other than that, I dont know of anything else one could do without insulating each & every pipe on your rig.

Anyway, good luck... let us know what you find.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 03:58 PM   #3

Alaska
Not using city water. Filling tanks and draining every few days. Yes I have two heater in the pass through area but inside where water pump, heater and many plumbing lines are located. Like your idea of having heater coming up from bottom keeping lines to kitchen warm. Have been using electric heater and electric water heater for a week now more than enough heat. One of these would like to do more week so we can camp in cold cold weather
Thanks
Bill
Old 12-02-2019, 11:37 PM   #4

Alaska
Think this year wilpull bottom and start figuring what can be done to get rv to perform in low temps. Everything else worked plenty warm etc.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:52 PM   #5

Arizona
You have the less expensive V-Series and I don't think it has the insulation package the regular Voltages have. At least the brochure doesn't list an all-weather package. My 3600 has been in sub-freezing temps many times and never had an issue with water lines freezing. Check your basement for heater vents.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:27 PM   #6

Florida
I used the heated hoses, wrapped water heater insulation around the park's faucet as well as pipe heaters around the faucet. I put a heater in the bathroom since all my water pipes were located there. There is nothing you can do with the gray and black dumps and the hose except to go on internal until you can drain the tanks when it warms up. I made the mistake of leaving the gray tank open and the sewer hose froze solid. If I keep this RV and intend to go back, I will definitely add tank heaters.

it was negative 6 degrees with a 50 mph wind in the carolina mountains.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:30 PM   #7

Alaska
When I purchased I was told it had additional insulation. Certainly as cold inside as other rv’s. When I get a few days of good will pull down bottom covering and see what I can do. Mine does have heated tanks. Called Dutchman after I purchased he said it had extra insulation. Maybe just maybe he was fibbing. Think I can make into a cold weather rig.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:44 PM   #8

Wisconsin
Truth in Advertising

There is no "Truth in Advertising" in the TT industry. "All Season", "Enclosed and Heated Underbelly" does not mean plumbing will not freeze. My Kodiak TT was advertised as above. Extra insulation does not mean plumbing will not freeze.

Buried in my Kodiak owners manual is a short statement that says winterize the plumbing when temperatures will be below 32 deg. F. The owner can still use the TT in freezing weather, just not the plumbing.

Pipes under the floor freeze first. Pipes running past uninsulated steel wheel wells freeze next. Water pump in closed plumbing space inside the cabin freezes next. Water tanks freeze last.

Since you are not using your propane furnace, there is no hot air being blown into the underbelly. I presume it actually has ducted hot air to the underbelly. Mine had a 2 inch round duct from the propane furnace to the floor. It looked OK. The hole through the floor was not drilled through.

Even when the hole was later drilled through, there was so little air blown into the belly that it made no difference. The pipe from the pump to the kitchen ran under the floor and froze quickly.

It took a lot more to protect plumbing from freezing. Mine only works when using the propane furnace. Three electric tank heaters are not enough to keep the plumbing from freezing.

Note: PECS water tubing usually does not break when water freezes in it. Fittings may or may not burst. Most types of valves and faucets will burst or be damaged. Water pumps will burst.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:01 PM   #9

Alaska
Afraid you are right.