Broken Water Pump? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2015, 10:58 PM   #1

New Jersey
Broken Water Pump?

The only time I use my water pump is to winterize the RV once a year. I ran through 2 gallons of antifreeze today. When I went to switch out for the third gallon, it was not pumping. I turned the pump on and off a few times, opened a faucet and just dribble, no antifreeze, no air hissing. I tried turning the pump on and off a few times. Each time, I could hear the pump running. I was able to get it to pump for a little bit, but then it quit pumping again, even though I could hear the motor running.

Does this mean my water pump is bad, or do I have some other kind of problem?

Anyone know where the water pump in a Voltage V 3105 is? From the motor sound, it sounds like it's behind the panel with the water line connections. I assume it's accessible from the front storage compartment, by removing the wallboard between the storage compartment, and the panel with the connections.

Any recommendations on a reliable water pump if I need to replace it? Any tips on how to replace it, or should it be a straight remove and replace?

Thanks!

Old 11-22-2015, 11:55 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
There is an inline filter, could be plugged up. The diaphragm could be bad too. Shur-Flo makes good pumps. No clue where it is, but you description sounds about right. Swapping them them out isn't hard... once you find the sucker.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:46 AM   #3

Wyoming
Winterize? I take it you're back in Jersey now.

Anyway, can't help ya with that Paul... don't know anything about it. But when you tackle the thing, take photos and let us know. Just in case I gotta do mine at some point.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:53 AM   #4

Tennessee
I replaced mine because it was making a funny noise and started blowing fuses. Mine is right where you described. I didn't have to remove the wall board. Just took several screws out and pulled it back. I went with a shur-flo. Lot quieter than the factory. Dutchmen should have used a good quality pump to begin with. The place I ordered the pump from also had the factory pump. The shur-flo was around $15 more. I guess dutchmen couldn't afford it.
2012 EZ-GO 2FIVE LSV 2014 Gem E4 LSV
3wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:17 AM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wheeler View Post
I replaced mine because it was making a funny noise and started blowing fuses. Mine is right where you described. I didn't have to remove the wall board. Just took several screws out and pulled it back. I went with a shur-flo. Lot quieter than the factory. Dutchmen should have used a good quality pump to begin with. The place I ordered the pump from also had the factory pump. The shur-flo was around $15 more. I guess dutchmen couldn't afford it.
Profits baby, profits!

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:39 AM   #6

New Jersey
Tom,
Back in NJ. 29 degrees this morning. Brrr
Old 11-23-2015, 12:03 PM   #7

Iowa
The pump may have lost its prime. I've had to hold the rv suction hose higher than the pump and pour rv antifreeze into it using a small funel, with the pump running, then when it starts pumping quickly shove the hose into a full jug of rv antifreeze. Mine will lose its prime when I first start pumping because it takes a couple jugs just to get the lines full and when a jug runs empty the pump sucks air and sometimes loses its prime. Next time I'm going to fill a clean 5 gal bucket with rv antifreeze and pull out of that. It still could be a bad pump I have replaced mine.
dougs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:37 PM   #8

Oklahoma
12 volt demand pumps don't need to be primed to start pumping. They can be run dry, as in running out of water, and then pick right back up. The normal placement of the pump is above the water and is able to pull the water from the tank to the pump and through the system without a prime.
Anytime a demand pump such as ours needs to be primed it has a problem. Might be sucking air, damaged or worn out seals or diaphragms.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:37 PM   #9

Iowa
In theory you are correct, he probably needs a new pump. I've had a lot of these 12 v pumps on sprayers and I've never had one that was perfect or the plumbing was perfect so usually a little help by priming is all it takes when it won't pick it up on its own.
dougs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:32 PM   #10

Nevada
sounds like the pump went bad, mind was doing the same thing, wouldn't pump, but made all the noise, so replaced it and all is good, very easy to replace and mind was just behind the wall...good luck
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:21 PM   #11

Ohio
I just winterized mine this past weekend and had the same issue. I use a short hose and a 5 gallon pail. Turns out the connection was not tight enough and it was sucking just enough air not to let the pump prime. Another tip: I use the outdoor facet to make sure the pump is working well and just shoot the antifreeze back in the bucket. That way I know the pump is working well and I never forget that facet.
-Jeff
Old 11-24-2015, 03:07 AM   #12

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNevada View Post
sounds like the pump went bad, mind was doing the same thing, wouldn't pump, but made all the noise, so replaced it and all is good, very easy to replace and mind was just behind the wall...good luck
I appreciate everyone's input. I let the pump run a bit before I realized it had run out of antifreeze in the jug. What I find interesting is the intermittent failure. Pump was defiantly running, but not pumping, got it to work a bit, and then it would not pump again. The jug was below the compartment with the fittings, pretty sure hose was tight, as it pulled 2 gallons of antifreeze before failing. At this point the RV is winterized, and I won't likely need the pump until next year to winterize.

I'm curious what the winterize white lever on the panel does. I assume it switches the pump to pull from the winterize port, and not the fresh water tank?

I looked at SHURflo pumps. Looks like there are two models, 3 GPM and 4 GPM. The 3 GPM pump is cheaper, and draws less wattage. Since we don't dry camp, I was thinking that would be a good bet. Looked on Amazon.com, they have two models of the 4008-101. It comes in 2 flavors. A65 & E65. The E65 is $8 more. According to SHURflo, the A65 is only sold to OEMs with a 1 year warranty. The E65 is the same pump, sold aftermarket, with a 2 year warranty. Not sure how OEM versions are available on Amazon. Guess it's worth $8 for a 2 year warranty.

Is the 4008 a direct replacement for what Dutchman installs? Has anyone added the twist on pipe strainer? Should this all be direct plug an play?

Thanks again for everyone's great input!
Old 11-24-2015, 04:59 PM   #13

Ohio
Pump Install

The Shurflo 4008 has similar specs to what is there. Unfortunately when mine failed, Camping World was the only place open on Sunday and they were out of stock, I ended up getting the 4048 which is the 4GPM pump. It comes with the strainer and is very simple to put in. I can't see much difference when running the facet, so for me the 4048 was not worth the extra cost. The hoses are flexible and the connection is a screw on. The pump itself on mine was just screwed to the floor. Its pretty much plug and play, you should have no problem. The only thing you may want to have that is not in the box is a couple of zip ties to secure the wiring. Mine was zip tied to the old pump.
-Jeff
Old 11-25-2015, 01:09 AM   #14

Maryland
When I winterized mine on Sunday I poured 4 gallons into a bucket just like the guy at the dealer told me to, hooked up the hose and turned on the pump. Pump came on and nothing coming out of faucets. I had to prime it to get it to pump. After I got done I noticed a small puddle in the front compartment coming out from under the wall. I will deal with that when the weather gets much warmer.
hilbilydavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:35 AM   #15

Ohio
I had the same problem last year. The fitting behind the winterize connection was loose.
-Jeff