Black water filling up pipe - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2014, 10:59 PM   #1

Utah
Black water filling up pipe

I have a 2012 Razorback toy hauler. Every time I go to empty the holding tanks when I remove the cap a lot of black water is filled up behind the cap (luckily not leaking out of cap). I'm not talking a little bit I am talking enough to fill a 5 gallon bucket. The valve is definitely closed all the way is there a way to tighten it up so it doesn't leak? Its embarrassing when I pull up to a waste station and s$%^ goes flying everywhere before I attach a hose.

devind33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:20 PM   #2

Nevada
Sounds like your gate valve is not closing all the way. Some thing might be obstructing it.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:32 PM   #3

Utah
Great cant wait to dig around the poo pipe to see
devind33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:27 AM   #4

Alberta
If you have valves that are remote cable controlled the cable conduit may not be cut short enough and not allowing the vale to completely close. I had the same problem, dropped the belly off and removed the valves and checked the movement and they where not closing far enough.
D and C 12 voltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:33 PM   #5

Texas
I had that same problem on an old TT and temporarily attached a Flush King to control until I could replace the waste gate.

Flush King - Valterra FK-01 - Sewer Flushing - Camping World

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:09 PM   #6

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by D and C 12 voltage View Post
If you have valves that are remote cable controlled the cable conduit may not be cut short enough and not allowing the vale to completely close. I had the same problem, dropped the belly off and removed the valves and checked the movement and they where not closing far enough.
what is the fix for this? My Black water tank has the same problem, and the t handle is pushed in all the way.

I saw that some sellers have a motorized valve that is supposed to alleviate this issue. Anyone with any experience with the automated valve?
jdmedhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:16 PM   #7

Arizona
H&H makes a replacement. Here is the link. Let me know if anyone has this.

http://www.barkermfg.com/autodrain.html
jdmedhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:58 PM   #8

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmedhurst View Post
what is the fix for this? My Black water tank has the same problem, and the t handle is pushed in all the way.

I saw that some sellers have a motorized valve that is supposed to alleviate this issue. Anyone with any experience with the automated valve?
Recently there was an excellent post that answers your question...

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...lves-2682.html

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:33 PM   #9

Wyoming
I had this happen once and it was just crap (no pun intended) caught in the gate preventing it from sealing even though the gate seemed to be fully closed. I have a clear fitting with a hose connection which I put on so I can see when the tank drains clear. I hooked up a hose to the fitting and flushed water into the tank which cleared the obstruction.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:20 AM   #10

Colorado
Mine is the post on installing electric valves to prevent the exact problem being discussed.

As a quick fix, look at the Valterra site for the "Twist On Waste Valve".

It mounts right at the end of the drain piping where the cap is located. You simply move the cap to the outlet side of the Twist On Waste Valve.

Less than $30 each, and I just leave them on. When twisted on to the waste pipe pins, you can rotate the valve body to make it easy to pull the valve handle.

So just make sure the valves are closed when you leave home.

Remove the cap and attach your drain hose...then open the valve...no mess!!!

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:14 PM   #11

Oklahoma
Barker Autodrain valve not working

OK, I had posted earlier about my black valve leaking as well. Finally this weekend, I did the electric valve install. I can't say it was as easy as pirate implied, but at the same time, I have to say I got 'er done. (the wife had compassion and came out and helped). I decided to put the Barker auto drain because it could install on top of the 1.5" instead of cutting pipe or installing flanges to expand it to three inch and hanging pipe. After installing the Barker version, I realized that was a really short electric extension to the switch. At the location of the valve install back behind the axle, I felt it would be tough to drill through the floor, so I went backwards to the gas station which I knew would have power. I placed the switch in this department (hopeful for no sparking) and ran the power wires to the bundle where the pump switch is located. I thought I found a white/ white and red wire that was the same colors as the power tapped into the light in the wet cabinet so I went for it. No go. …or no action when power turned on. Just to check if I did something weird, I turned on the gas pump and tried it again and no go.

So there is the question. anyone know what power I should use. Planning at present to run some wire front the wet cabinet light switch down the side of the trailer to the switch unless someone has a suggestion of power where it is currently located. There is a green and green/white white wire by the same one I tapped into.
hullflyer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:09 AM   #12

British Columbia
Problem number one is trying to "tap" into an existing circuit, you never really know what you could be tapping into.

Try running power directly to the valve and see if it opens.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:12 AM   #13

Colorado
Wil,

When I installed my electric valves, I too was looking for power. Turns on, on my 3800, the power wires to the light fixture in the wet cabinet are the only ones I could find on that circuit.

So I tapped into them. Bearing in mind the electric valve load is not that much, and only for a second or so, I didn't figure they would overload a lighting circuit. And if they did it would be easy to find. Have had no problems at all.

I tapped into the light fixture wires an ran three separate sets of wires, one to each of the valves. I do that by cutting the light fixture wires, strip and stick on of the original wires in the end of a crimp butt connector and crimping it. Then twist on of my new wires with the other end of the original wire and stick that into the other end of the butt connector and crimp. I feel this is better than the other type of "tap in" connector. And I use shrink wrap over each of the connectors. So I have three of them in a row, all crimped solidly and covered.

I then route each set to an electric valve. I wound up cutting three sides of a 4 inch square hole in the belly cover. Leave the front side uncut so the wind won't pull it down when on the road. With cut holes every 2 ft I was able to reach in and grab the wires and pull them to where needed.

Just my process,

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:54 AM   #14

Oklahoma
light fixture tap in

yes, that is where i am heading tomorrow. picked up some preinsulate 14/3 at lowes. i have used heat shrink but am not familiar with the shrink wrap for wires. assumming it is the same thing but must be slightly bigger caliber than what I have seen and used before, but Ill look for it. Hate going back to store at this point. thanks again for the input.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:58 AM   #15

Oklahoma
and another gotcha is the switches were sent upside down (the electric valterra that I installed on the front two valves) on the switch plate as far as I can figure as when I turned the power on, following instructions on the install, they were automatically turned on and open instead of closed. Figured I would turn them around or switch the wires on the back side if it came to it.