Black Tank sensor "Full" - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2014, 05:10 PM   #1

Colorado
Black Tank sensor "Full"

Hi all, the past 2 places we've camped my tank is going from "Empty" to full within a day. Yesterday we arrived at a new site, I emptied and flushed it 3 times and I was on empty. We used the toilet yesterday and today and now it shows full.
I understand things can get caught on the sensor but it seems to be happening everytime we use it now. Could there be another problem?
Thanks,

rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:25 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcharrette View Post
Hi all, the past 2 places we've camped my tank is going from "Empty" to full within a day. Yesterday we arrived at a new site, I emptied and flushed it 3 times and I was on empty. We used the toilet yesterday and today and now it shows full.
I understand things can get caught on the sensor but it seems to be happening everytime we use it now. Could there be another problem?
Thanks,
Does it go straight to full or do you get any intermediate readings?

Has it ever worked properly? Or has it always done it?

If it has always done it I would wager something is wired wrong.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:50 PM   #3

Colorado
No it has worked correct in the past or at least not gone straight to full. As i said, it was empty yesterday and full today. I guess I'll empty the tank, start over and monitor the level everytime we use it.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:55 PM   #4

California
I agree sounds like it's wired wrong. What model you have ? We can go over a week on our black tank before needing to dump it.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:27 PM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
A wire may have gotten damaged where it runs in the wall between the panel and the sensor. However it still sounds like a miswire or trash bridging a sensor.

Aaron
Old 10-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #6

Tennessee
One good think about starting out with on old camper, I got real good at guessing tank levels because the gauges never worked. I think most campers have or get wonky readings eventually. I don't think i've ever even hit the buttons on our new camper.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:32 PM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
Black tank is usually pretty easy to check... just look down the toilet with a flashlight

If you can get access to a bore scope it might not hurt to take a look and see if the sensors are fouled. We used our camper on a site with no sewer twice before we got a sewer site and I was amazed at how much extra trash came out when I flushed the tank two or three times after dumping.

As far as the wiring being damaged, I have seen screws run through wiring where it never caused a problem, but with just a bit of motion it would. Wires get pinched, or chafed all the time. Unfortunately proper wiring is pretty low on the install/QC list.

Aaron
Old 10-10-2014, 10:08 PM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcharrette View Post
No it has worked correct in the past or at least not gone straight to full. As i said, it was empty yesterday and full today. I guess I'll empty the tank, start over and monitor the level everytime we use it.
Empty as per gauge or empty by emptying the black tank? There is no way the black tank could get full with one days of use.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:39 PM   #9

Oklahoma
Hi, I have purchased a clear adaptor to attach to the drain. That way when I flush I can see if there is anything solid left in the tanks. It helps to see how clean the tanks are when I flush. I also flush out the black tank at least every other time I drain it.
Grdrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:48 PM   #10

Colorado
This is one of the reasons I went to the SewerSolution set up for draining the tanks. And I'm very glad our 2014 Voltage Epic came with the black water tank spinners.

Due to leakage of the black water tanks valves...going electric when they come in...I added a Valterra valve right at the cap.

So I can remove the cap, connect the SewerSolution, then open the Valterra valve, then the black water valve. Then I use the spinner and the SewerSolution to thoroughly rinse the tank and the drain piping until I get clear water. Then I feel good that the black water tank is empty and there is nothing building up on the level indicator instrument inside the tank!!

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:50 PM   #11

Colorado
This is one of the reasons I went to the SewerSolution set up for draining the tanks. And I'm very glad our 2014 Voltage Epic came with the black water tank spinners.

Due to leakage of the black water tanks valves...going electric when they come in...I added a Valterra valve right at the cap.

So I can remove the cap, connect the SewerSolution, then open the Valterra valve, then the black water valve. Then I use the spinner and the SewerSolution to thoroughly rinse the tank and the drain piping until I get clear water. Then I feel good that the black water tank is empty and there is nothing building up on the level indicator instrument inside the tank!!

Pirate
Old 10-12-2014, 11:06 PM   #12
Site Team

North Carolina
I use a Sewer Solution too. Had to add a 6" clear extension to the Y to get it to fit though. I use the low tech washer wand in the toilet to rinse the tank. I guess at my price point and size (16') you do what you gotta do.

My tank gets a good rinse when we get home. I have a dump port on my septic tank lead in line. If we just go for a weekend I seldom dump the black until we get home, get to bypass the dump station lines. If we have sewer hookups I will do a heavy rinse and dump prior to leaving, then add a bit of water, bleach and dish detergent to both tanks and let it slosh on the way home, then dump again when I get home, keeps things nice and clean.

Aaron
Old 10-13-2014, 03:05 AM   #13

Colorado
wahoo,

Interesting on using the clear for the extension. Where can you get that? I'm going to move both of my dump connections to get one out from under the living area slide and to get the other a few inches higher off the ground.

I also want to bring both a little closer to the exterior of the trailer and not 10 inches back underneath. I know I'll have to add some support, but that's no problem with the shop tools I have!

Thanks,

Pirate
Old 10-13-2014, 08:09 AM   #14

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post

Pirate
I like the idea of adding the Valterra valves at the termination end - seems like a cheap and reliable solution to that hated "surprise" when you remove the caps!
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:40 AM   #15
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
wahoo,

Interesting on using the clear for the extension. Where can you get that? I'm going to move both of my dump connections to get one out from under the living area slide and to get the other a few inches higher off the ground.

I also want to bring both a little closer to the exterior of the trailer and not 10 inches back underneath. I know I'll have to add some support, but that's no problem with the shop tools I have!

Thanks,

Pirate
Valterra makes a whole range of them. I bought mine at Camping World. I leave mine in place and while I was at it I added a cap with the small port for a garden hose.

I have not had any issues with valves leaking, but then again mine are right there on each side of the wye.

Aaron
Old 10-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #16

Colorado
I just ordered the Valterra end valves from them on-line.

Between Canon City, Pueblo, Colorado Springs and Windish RV in Denver...not one place as any of this kind of stuff in stock...so...in the internet era...I just order everything I can on-line. The shipping is cheaper than gas or diesel!!

The end cap valves were in place and drove from home to Albuquerque...everything in place...so they are going to become permanent on my Voltage!!
Old 10-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #17
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
I just ordered the Valterra end valves from them on-line.

Between Canon City, Pueblo, Colorado Springs and Windish RV in Denver...not one place as any of this kind of stuff in stock...so...in the internet era...I just order everything I can on-line. The shipping is cheaper than gas or diesel!!

The end cap valves were in place and drove from home to Albuquerque...everything in place...so they are going to become permanent on my Voltage!!
I order a lot of my stuff on line too. Nothing aggravates me more than to walk into a brick and mortar store that SHOULD have something in stock only to find they only stock one and I need three or it was sold that morning and it will be another week before it comes in.

I travel a lot for a living and can stop by several RV places as I go, I pretty well know which one has what in stock.

Haven't been in the Canon City area since 2009, but do want to head back out that way one of these days. My brother lives in Highlands Ranch.

Aaron
Old 10-13-2014, 04:07 PM   #18

Colorado
Aaron,

Highlands Ranch is a long way from Canon City...but Canon is not a bad place to leave your trailer when you head to Highlands Ranch!

We left Littleton in 2009 for our home here. Wife has three children in the Denver area....every time we go back the traffic gets worse!! So glad to be out of there!!

One interesting note...talk about how time flies...I was working for Public Service Company of Colorado and as part of the Engineer In Training I worked with Right of Way for three months. In the Summer of 1979 there was nothing, but nothing, South of Arapahoe Road. There was a barbed wire fence with signs saying the land belonged to Mission Viejo.

WOW!!

Pirate
Old 10-13-2014, 09:30 PM   #19

Colorado
SO now I'm thinking it could be wired wrong. We moved sites today so I flushed it 5 times and the level showed "E" on the read out. Got to our new camp, 2 of us took a pee in there and now it show's 2/3 full!
Old 10-13-2014, 09:36 PM   #20

California
Still should show "E"