Black tank questions - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2014, 02:07 PM   #1

Ontario
Black tank questions

This spring we pick up our 2014 kodiak 291 resl. It will be our first trailer with a sewage system. This has lead me to have concerns over odours. I've seen in the rv stores products to put in your tank to control odours. Are they used all the time, just when using the black tank or when storing the trailer. Any help would be appreciated.

Adair1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:02 PM   #2

Texas
I drop in one if the chemical packs when I first hook up. I usually leave a little water in the black tank after dumping. I've never had an odor problem inside the trailer.

soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:55 PM   #3

Wyoming
I almost never use the chemicals. The only times (twice) that I have was when I was in one place for an extended time and the weather was very hot. It was just to stop any small amount of odour that we could smell once in a while.

The big thing with black tanks is to fill them and then dump and flush. Do not free drain if you're at an RV park.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:55 AM   #4

Florida
Here in Florida you better drop in one of the pouches as it gets hot in the summer and it will smell. I usually drop 1-2 in for even a weekend trip. They are reasonably priced so you will benefit from "no smell".
Old 02-21-2014, 07:38 PM   #5

Colorado
We add a packet (or 2 oz of fluid depending on what we have) everytime. If we dump the black tank and are still traveling in goes another dose of deodorizer. It's pretty cheap and easy to do so why risk not using it!
We do not store it with deodorizer, after a trip we flush the tank 3 or 4 times and it sits until next time.
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:33 PM   #6

Ontario
Thanks everyone, this info will help. I'm comfortable with everything but the sewage system. This calms my nerves.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:59 AM   #7

Colorado
I was the same way. We went from a VW van( no black) to a pop up (cassette toilet) and now our Kodiak with full black tank system. I can honestly say it is super easy to deal with. I will say (as others told me) the key is water. I stressed out when dry camping about flushing to much water in the toilet, for good reason of course. In the end it just causes problems. Use water (flushing) liberally to prevent clogs and other problems.
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:14 AM   #8

Arkansas
I usually dump when the tank is about 3/4 full. When I dump I use a clear elbow inline with the dump hose so I can see what's coming out of the tank. Then I:
  1. Connect a water hose to the San-T-Flush and turn on the water.
  2. Open the dump valve and wait until the flow slows and clears up a little.
  3. Close the dump valve and wait for San-T-Flush to fill a couple minutes.
  4. Open the dump valve and wait until the flow slows and clears up a little.
  5. Close the dump valve, wait for the San-T-Flush to fill the tank nearly full.
  6. Open the dump valve and wait until empty. Flow should be clear now.
  7. Turn off the water to the San-T-Flush and finish draining the tank.
  8. Close the dump valve.
  9. Add a couple capfuls of Calgon to the tank. This keeps things slick.
  10. Add a couple cups of washing detergent to a gallon of hot water.
  11. Add the mixed hot water and detergent to the tank.
  12. Add 2-3 gallons of water to the tank.
slb5146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:37 PM   #9

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by slb5146 View Post
I usually dump when the tank is about 3/4 full. When I dump I use a clear elbow inline with the dump hose so I can see what's coming out of the tank. Then I:
  1. Connect a water hose to the San-T-Flush and turn on the water.
  2. Open the dump valve and wait until the flow slows and clears up a little.
  3. Close the dump valve and wait for San-T-Flush to fill a couple minutes.
  4. Open the dump valve and wait until the flow slows and clears up a little.
  5. Close the dump valve, wait for the San-T-Flush to fill the tank nearly full.
  6. Open the dump valve and wait until empty. Flow should be clear now.
  7. Turn off the water to the San-T-Flush and finish draining the tank.
  8. Close the dump valve.
  9. Add a couple capfuls of Calgon to the tank. This keeps things slick.
  10. Add a couple cups of washing detergent to a gallon of hot water.
  11. Add the mixed hot water and detergent to the tank.
  12. Add 2-3 gallons of water to the tank.
That is the perfect routine. Thanks for sharing. I do about the same including the Calgon or Borax and Dawn dish washing detergent.

I have had a problem though. Under the bathroom sink there is an black water air check valve. If I use the San-T-Flush and let the tank get to the full point. I get a leak of clear fresh water out of the valve. I have looked locally for a replacement but have not been able to find one. I don't think it leaks until the water is almost to the point of coming up into the toilet so perhaps I am over filling. Will have to investigate this further
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:09 PM   #10

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
That is the perfect routine. Thanks for sharing. I do about the same including the Calgon or Borax and Dawn dish washing detergent.

I have had a problem though. Under the bathroom sink there is an black water air check valve. If I use the San-T-Flush and let the tank get to the full point. I get a leak of clear fresh water out of the valve. I have looked locally for a replacement but have not been able to find one. I don't think it leaks until the water is almost to the point of coming up into the toilet so perhaps I am over filling. Will have to investigate this further

That's your vent valve under the sink. Those are used instead of penetrating roof lines for vent pipes. Probably have one under the kitchen sink as well.

The vent will leak if the water level gets up to the level of the ports on the side of the valve. Nothing particularly faulty with the valve, just too much water in the pipe it sits on.

I've found them at RV repair shops in the past.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:25 PM   #11

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
That's your vent valve under the sink. Those are used instead of penetrating roof lines for vent pipes. Probably have one under the kitchen sink as well.

The vent will leak if the water level gets up to the level of the ports on the side of the valve. Nothing particularly faulty with the valve, just too much water in the pipe it sits on.

I've found them at RV repair shops in the past.
This is the item I am talking about. One side has a PEX line hooked to where the water comes in from the San-T-Flush the other side has line going to the black water tank.

JR Products 571-Vac-Chk-A Flusher Vacuum Breaker/Check Valve : Amazon.com : Automotive

I do have a vent under my kitchen sink as you stated.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:47 PM   #12

Oklahoma
Isn't the check valve a lot of folks have found to be installed backwards?
I have one under the garage sink and I think it might be backwards as I don't think the flush water goes through it. I've only flushed that tank once so I don't know for sure. The flush didn't seem to work correctly so I left it for another day. I don't use that head back there so there's not much need to empty and flush.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:59 PM   #13

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Isn't the check valve a lot of folks have found to be installed backwards?
I have one under the garage sink and I think it might be backwards as I don't think the flush water goes through it. I've only flushed that tank once so I don't know for sure. The flush didn't seem to work correctly so I left it for another day. I don't use that head back there so there's not much need to empty and flush.
Funny you ask that. Mine was working properly. I could hear the water hitting the inside of the tank. When about 1/2 full I no longer heard it and when almost full it starts making a different sound. It is a different sound even when flushing so you know when you have about 5 gallons or so left.

Now a far a being installed backward. Yes, if it were installed backward it should not work at all. I removed my check valve to take it to the RV shop and when I was re-installing it I wondered if I was doing it correctly. The valve has flow direction indication on it. So with the hose hooked to the San-T-Flush and the valve removed I had my wife just crack the hose bib for an instant. Allot of water shot from the hose so I knew I was installing it the correct way.

Thinking about it now. I don't feel that using the San-T-Flush to completely fill the tank is necessarily the right thing to do. Perhaps partially filling is the best route.

I am going over to rvnetwork.com Escapees Discussion Forum and check around. There is a ton of information over there.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:47 AM   #14

Arizona
Here is a really good read on black tank care and also dumping into your own home septic systems. I don't think you need to be registered on the site to view topics. But this is a great forum to join to gain general RV knowledge.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:47 PM   #15

Ontario
Talking

Big RV show in Toronto this coming weekend, Feb 27-mar 2. That's where I'll get the treatment packs. Thanks for all the info everyone. Lots of great advise. Now I'm not so nervous about using the toilet. Lol
Old 02-23-2014, 04:56 PM   #16

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adair1965 View Post
Thanks for all the info everyone. Lots of great advise. Now I'm not so nervous about using the toilet. Lol
That's good. You sure get a crappy feeling when you're afraid to use the toilet!
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:37 PM   #17

Ontario
Well said. Lol