Atwood Hot Water Heater Circuit Board - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2018, 11:08 PM   #1

Georgia
Atwood Hot Water Heater Circuit Board

I just recently purchased a new Coleman travel trailer with an Atwood Hot Water Heater. The very first trip the water heater would not ignite. I took the camper in to my dealer. They said the circuit board was faulty; so they replaced it. I took the camper out on our second trip and the igniter worked and we had hot water. I turned it off since we would be gone for the day. That evening decided to fire it up again...would not ignite...same exact problem as before. It is now back at the dealer; they have decided that the circuit board is faulty again. I am concerned that maybe there is something else that is causing these circuit boards to go bad. Anyone else having or had issues with these circuit boards going bad?

Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:04 AM   #2

Illinois
Not a big fan of coincidences. If that many boards are bad, Atwood would be out of business. If youe board is indeed bad, they need to find out what is causing it. Just my opinion.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:40 PM   #3

Colorado
You can contact Atwood. You can purchase everything on Amazon for an Atwood RV hot water heater.

You need to get your hands on the manual that shows every part in the system and use this forum and good ol' YouTube to learn about troubleshooting.

Not that complex of a system, and thus not hard to figure out what's really going on and fix it.

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:05 PM   #4

Arizona
Water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
I just recently purchased a new Coleman travel trailer with an Atwood Hot Water Heater. The very first trip the water heater would not ignite. I took the camper in to my dealer. They said the circuit board was faulty; so they replaced it. I took the camper out on our second trip and the igniter worked and we had hot water. I turned it off since we would be gone for the day. That evening decided to fire it up again...would not ignite...same exact problem as before. It is now back at the dealer; they have decided that the circuit board is faulty again. I am concerned that maybe there is something else that is causing these circuit boards to go bad. Anyone else having or had issues with these circuit boards going bad?
Hi. Have them check your gas regulator. I had the same issue for almost a year on my Coleman lantern. Finally a savy tech figured it out. They replaced the regulator & I've enjoyed hot water ever since.
Campingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:53 PM   #5

Maryland
I have a new coleman 202RD now just a year old. My circuit board failed the first time out and was replaced under warranty, was intermittent the 2nd time out and now the 3rd time out doesn't work again. Replaced the gas valve and every thing else in there and now must take it back to get another of the faulty boards because that is all they will cover under warranty and not the dinosaur board that fixes the problem.
hdrider1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:19 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrider1965 View Post
I have a new coleman 202RD now just a year old. My circuit board failed the first time out, was intermittent the 2nd time out and now the 3rd time out doesn't work again. Replaced the gas valve and every thing else in there and now must take it back to get another of the faulty boards because that is all they will cover under warranty and not the dinosaur board that fixes the problem.

So why don't you get the Dinosaur board and stick it in yourself and be done with pissing with the dealer?
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:36 PM   #7

Maryland
because its still free under warranty, I am purchasing a dinosaur to have on hand. Plus I want them to make sure there isn't a power issue or anything else causing the board to go bad before I put mine in...lol.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:48 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
because its still free under warranty, I am purchasing a dinosaur to have on hand. Plus I want them to make sure there isn't a power issue or anything else causing the board to go bad before I put mine in...lol.
Did you look for dirt dobbers in the intake or exhaust?
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:20 PM   #9

Maryland
yep...the entire system is clean. The 2amp fuse on the new board blows as soon as you flip the switch. The problem is probably in the high quality wiring in the unit or the new board is defective again.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:51 PM   #10

Maryland
Update, new board installed again free of charge. This time Dometic (Attwood) covered it and the cost was nothing. Going out next week so we will see if the 3rd time is a charm!
Old 06-07-2019, 11:29 PM   #11

Oklahoma
Quote:
Update, new board installed again free of charge. This time Dometic (Attwood) covered it and the cost was nothing. Going out next week so we will see if the 3rd time is a charm!

Hope it works for you
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:07 PM   #12

Ontario
Having a similar issue with a new coleman camper... Our dealer, no longer is in the camper business, but I have looked up Dutchmen authorized centers, would I take it there, or do I have to go through warranty for the Atwood water heater itself.
Was hoping it was something I could figure out, rather than towing the camper around. But I guess that is the business of owning a trailer.
jmatteis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:11 PM   #13

Florida
I know of two boards that failed early on, mine and a friend. Both Attwood WH. Had to be a bad batch that were being included for the same models. Both were G6A-8E.
Jimmygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:45 PM   #14

Ontario
Meant to come back here and update a while back, so it turned out, ours was also the control board. The authorized repair shop is about an hour away from me, so I called them to book it in to be checked and he was great about just attempting to just put the claim in for a faulty board, and he said, if it wasn't that, then I'd have a spare anyhow, so they honoured that, went and picked up the new board, put it in and it fired up instantly... no issues...

The thing that bothers me the most I think is that a PDI was done (and paid for as part of the deal) and somehow this was missed...
Old 05-14-2020, 07:52 PM   #15

Florida
The PDI probably consisted of someone sitting in the RV with the AC on and checking off the boxes!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:06 PM   #16

Ontario
Oh I don't doubt that, I was so ticked off, we took it on it's maiden voyage, end of September, and had to heat water for dishes on the stove. Not a big deal, as the we had showers at the campground.
There are other little things that in my opinion should have caught their eye, but the authorized service guys are saying they will go over it and submit it all through warranty when we bring it there this year.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:57 PM   #17

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatteis View Post
Oh I don't doubt that, I was so ticked off, we took it on it's maiden voyage, end of September, and had to heat water for dishes on the stove. Not a big deal, as the we had showers at the campground.
There are other little things that in my opinion should have caught their eye, but the authorized service guys are saying they will go over it and submit it all through warranty when we bring it there this year.
We had the exact same experience on our maiden voyage.

Jimmygator is offline   Reply With Quote