Another outstanding install by the mental midgets of Dutchman - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Plumbing, Water and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #1

Oklahoma
Another outstanding install by the mental midgets of Dutchman

This was a project that had been bugging me for some time now.

The mental midgets at Dutchman apparently decided two extra couplings to offset the kitchen drain pipe just wasn't cost effective. So they used the drain pipe to support the water heater. Keep in mind water weighs 8.35 lbs/gallon so 10 gallons of water is heavy.

I guess a warranty claim for a punctured drain pipe wasn't worth the two couplings. I guess a warranty claim for a new floor wasn't worth the two couplings either. I have a little understanding of CBA, or Cost Benfit Analysis when it comes to manufacturing or construction or any type of business for that matter. The CBA of two couplings and 30 minutes of labor has to be much lower than a warranty claim for replacing a drain pipe or replacing an entire floor and adjunct materials.

The photos show where the swivel fitting on the water heater has been resting on the drain pipe. Two things could have occured, the drain pipe could have been punctured by the swivel fitting or the swivel fitting itself could have been broken off allowing an unknown amount of water to fill the the living space between the garage and the bedroom to include the livingroom slide.

What I had to do was remove the damaged drain pipe and install two couplings to offset the drain where it connected to the tank. Even the elbow going into the tank is incorrect because it raises the drain pipe. They could have used a shorter elbow to allow for a more natural flow of water into the tank.

I was able to align the elbow to the now offset drain pipe so the water heater no longer rests on the drain pipe.

5 bucks worth of ABS pipe fittings and a can of ABS glue and 90 minutes of labor was all it took to avoid a potential disaster that probably would have been on my dime.

It's unbelievable what passes QC at Dutchman and more unbelievable that someone couldn't see a potential, expensive problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00134.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	833   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00140.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	834   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00141.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	835   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00137.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	836  

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:07 PM   #2

Nevada
The hurry get it done no mater how bad it is mentality hard at work.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:55 AM   #3

California
Same exact issue on my 2012 Voltage 3200... Except mine leaked while on a trip... Nothing that a little Wedi caulking couldn't fix temporarily. Same solution for permanent repair...
BigBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:39 AM   #4

Tennessee
I'll be looking at mine. Thanks for sharing. I guess this is what its all about.... customer spends the bigs bucks and fixes his own stuff... I get it.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:47 AM   #5

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper2b View Post
I'll be looking at mine. Thanks for sharing. I guess this is what its all about.... customer spends the bigs bucks and fixes his own stuff... I get it.
In the RV World that kinda is what it's all about. Unless you are the kind of person that can't do and don't mine dragging your rig back to the jerks that you bought it from.

I need to have my slide looked at. I will not take it back for warrantee work. I will pay a local shop as I don't have a clue how to work on the slide. Other stuff I can do most work myself.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:31 AM   #6

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper2b View Post

Sad but true. I couldn't imagine owning one of these and not being mechanically inclined and/or being without some level of handyman skills.
soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonernation View Post

Sad but true. I couldn't imagine owning one of these and not being mechanically inclined and/or being without some level of handyman skills.

Dutchmen owners are not the only ones having this issue it seems. Thankfully, my wife and I are both well seasoned mechanically inclined people.

When I take delivery of my 3605, I am sure my dealer will get a huge list of fix it items.

Thanks for sharing this particular problem with the water heater fittings.
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
Alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:08 AM   #8

Wisconsin
When your first trip is back to the shop to have the Lippert, leveling controller replaced, you quickly evolve the attitude that you're basically on your own regarding routing maintenance, care and feeding. Have you seen your belly insulation? Mine consists of a sheet of plasticized aluminum foil, called a "Radiant Barrier". And my 2013 unit (manufactured in July of 2012) has notable underside rust and dry-rot shock absorber bushings. And I'm trusting that the empty, orange soda can was placed on the frame above the kitchen gray water tank to enhance the structural integrity of the unit. Or something like that.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:48 PM   #9

Ontario
They left an orange soda can behind? Lol. Although that reminds me of when I had my first house built and I showed up the day before they poured the basement by surprise, only to find the builder having a pig roast for his workers in the pit.
Adair1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:03 PM   #10

Arizona
I'm on the shake down trip on my 3200. How do I access this area to take a look? I want to avoid a leak!
Old 05-24-2014, 09:13 PM   #11

Oklahoma
On my 3800 the plumbing and the back end of the water heater is under the refrigerator. Four screws (maybe), hold the wooden vent panel to the base of the refrigerator.
Remove the screws and panel and be amazed. While there screw on two hinges to the panel and create yourself another place to keep stuff.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote