3990: Plumbing Leak Under Shower in Master Bath - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2015, 12:28 PM   #1

Illinois
3990: Plumbing Leak Under Shower in Master Bath

While "exploring", it looks like I have a small leak coming from a feeder line in my master bath. Thanks to the Forum, it looks like you access the area via removal of the fireplace, which I know is only held in by four screws. My question is, what next? Most of you guys sound like engineers; installing flux capacitors (LOL) and the like. I'm not the handiest guy in the world, with most of my repairs being directed by my wife (LOL). Is the fireplace just something I can unplug and move to the side, or am I marking and cutting a wire harness? Also, again thanks to the Forum, I guess the plumbing is "PEX"? Never installed or used it. Simple? Do I continue to use it with the repair or is there a better way. I don't want to go back to the dealer for warranty work, and besides, I'm going to have to learn sooner or later. Always, thanks in advance for the help.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:48 PM   #2

Saskatchewan
In my 3895, it was the 4 screws and was plugged in. came out easily. Im a plumber and Pex is easy to use, just have to make sure u have the correct crimping tool, and make sure the fitting is in the pipe all the way before crimping and ur done, its not rocket science, youll be fine.

walleyesb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #3

Illinois
Went to Home Depot. They have "Sharkbite" as well as Pex. No tools needed with Sharkbite so I don't need to buy the Pex crimper. Is it as good or should I stick with the Pex?
Old 06-10-2015, 03:09 PM   #4

Saskatchewan
shark

i think they are ok and do in a pinch. If your travelling lots id recommend the pex. if your sitting more than moving the shark bite should be fine. they just push on and ive seen them fail with movement. So if your doing the work and want to do it right, im my opinion, id use pex and never worry about it again.
walleyesb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:24 PM   #5

Illinois
Pex it is. Thanks for the advice.
Rusty
Old 06-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #6

Nebraska
Probably a good choice Rusty. I'd rather do it right once than semi right once and then have to repeat. I would also think if you plan on letting the dealership winterize you would want the crimped PEX. I am sure mine was high pressure air treated instead of liquid. I'm just waiting to see what leaks now.
Chaz Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:34 PM   #7

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz Drago View Post
Probably a good choice Rusty. I'd rather do it right once than semi right once and then have to repeat. I would also think if you plan on letting the dealership winterize you would want the crimped PEX. I am sure mine was high pressure air treated instead of liquid. I'm just waiting to see what leaks now.
If your dealer used high pressure air, which I seriously doubt, you would see the results of blowing water with high pressure air.
You'd see water marks all over the inside of your RV. There'd be water spots on the ceiling and walls and floors.

If the dealer did this to ensure future business from you concerning water leaks, I'd think the clean up would be more time consuming than a possible return customer service charge.

Other than the big mess I don't think a mechanic in his or her right mind would flush a water system with high pressure air.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:32 PM   #8

Illinois
I agree Chaz. Better to do it once right. With any luck, I won't ever have to winterize. I've been retired for almost 9 years and the wife just retired in March. That's why we held off purchasing our unit until 8 weeks ago. Come November 1st thru April 15th, Florida and Arizona baby!
Old 06-11-2015, 08:37 PM   #9

Nebraska
I like the idea of flying south for the winter Rusty. Sundancer, I'm not sure what my dealer did. It just stated it was "winterized yet when I flushed the lines there was nothing in them. It was a new camper but I'm sure water had to be present at some point. Either way back to this thread.

Chaz Drago is offline   Reply With Quote