2011 262 RLX holding tank questions - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2015, 01:43 AM   #1

Ontario
2011 262 RLX holding tank questions

Like most I have just bought my RV, in this case it a 262 RLX, the manual is very close to useless when it come to the holding tanks. My control panel shows one black tank, and 2 separate button for gray water holding tanks. common sense would tell me this means I have 2 gray tanks, this assumption is conformed by three drain valve handles under the fifth wheel, two are on the wheels side of the drain pipe and one is on the front side of the pipe, again common sense tells me that the two together between the wheels and the drain are most likely the gray tanks and the one on the front side of the drain pipe should be the black valve. (please correct me if my assumptions are incorrect).
My fifth wheel has one bathroom up the stairs next to the master bedroom. my questions are as follows: what drains into what when if come to the gray tanks, does everything drain into one and when that tank is full than that tank overflows into the second tank? or does the bathroom drain into one while the kitchen sink get the whole other tank to it self? or maybe the shower get a tank to it self and the bathroom sink and kitchen sink get the other tank? which valve does which gray tank?and finally how big are all the tanks?
thank you for getting through the long read.

drogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:26 PM   #2

Montana
I have no idea what would drain into what, but I would doubt that they took the effort to design a tank to overflow to another tank once full. I'm guessing you have two dedicated gray water tanks that operate completely independent of each other. There isn't any chance that they represent a gray water tank and the fresh water tank is there?

The black tank drain valve will have a larger diameter pipe leading to it.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:48 PM   #3

Tennessee
You should be able to google your year and model to find the capacity on the tanks, every model is different...

Old 07-30-2015, 04:47 PM   #4

California
Looks like 52 gal fresh water, 33 gal black, & 77 gal total for the grays. Kitchen would be by itself. Once gray in bathroom fills it will back up in the shower. That gray SHOULD be larger then the kitchen but who knows.
Oh fresh water wouldn't include the hot water heater. Standard hot will be 6 gal., optional will be a 10 gal if it was offered as a option.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:55 PM   #5

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
I have no idea what would drain into what, but I would doubt that they took the effort to design a tank to overflow to another tank once full. I'm guessing you have two dedicated gray water tanks that operate completely independent of each other. There isn't any chance that they represent a gray water tank and the fresh water tank is there?

The black tank drain valve will have a larger diameter pipe leading to it.
I would agree it wouldn't make alot of sense to have one drain into the other but it was a thought, as for the larger pipe being on the black water side, unfortunately the fifth wheel has an enclosed under carriage so all I can see is the drain pipe hook up and the valve handle to open and close the drain valves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
You should be able to google your year and model to find the capacity on the tanks, every model is different....
Have tried google search with little success, was hoping to find someone here with the same trailer who could tell me what was what, unfortunately I would fill and drain the different tanks to figure out what is what but I have the dreaded full tank all the time on all three tanks that I'm trying to rectify, so even when I drain things I'm not sure what is coming out of where.

I have had the black tank sitting for almost three weeks now completly full with 3 cups of dawn dish soap mixed in, with an enzyme add to hopefully wash the tank, loosen the toilet paper and rinse of the grime from the walls of the tank, I will drain the tanks this weekend after adding 3 bags of ice to the black tank before I drive the 10 km to the sani dump to again help clean the walls, hopefully all this works and I get some reading down a bit so I can begin to figure out what is what. I have added the dish soap to the gray tanks as well, but only a few days ago to hopefully get the grease of the walls. We'll see if this works or not.

If anyone has more info or suggestions PLEASE feel free to jump in, looking for all the help I can get.

Next step "Horst miracle probes"
Old 07-31-2015, 04:26 PM   #6

California
Having all your readings at full is nothing new. If the gray tank in the bathroom is full water will be backed up in the shower. Kitchen sink would be backed up if that tank was full. Black tank full just open the toilet foot valve & look down it with a flashlight. If full you wouldn't need the flashlight.

I've had a black tank full a couple of times while boondocking for a week at my inlaws. Had bathroom gray backup into the shower just this past vacation. Forgot to open the gray valve while connected to sewer. Not a big deal just opened the valve & drained the tank.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:53 PM   #7

Ontario
After using the method recommended on this site of using Dawn dish soap in the Black and gray tanks with a full load of water and allowing it to soak as long as possible in my case three weeks, I took the Fifth to a sani dump this weekend and all three sensor are now reading empty. I will fill them up again with both soap and water and allow them to sit again for a couple of weeks just to clean any remaining sludge from the tanks. Now that the tank reading move I was able to figure out which drain does what. working from the front of the trailer back, the fist handle drains the Black tank, the next handle drains the kitchen gray tank and the last handle does the bathroom sink and shower gray water tank. I still don't know how big the tanks are though, anyone with that info?
Old 08-03-2015, 07:21 PM   #8

California
Looks like 52 gal fresh water, 33 gal black, & 77 gal total for the grays. Didn't find a break down on the sizes for the gray tanks.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:20 PM   #9

Ontario
Thank you Desertrat, I sure those number are close enough, I would think I could probable just divide the gray water total in two and be close enough