Xantrex SW2000 Inverter - Reverse Polarity Fried! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2019, 07:48 PM   #1

California
Xantrex SW2000 Inverter - Reverse Polarity Fried!

Has anyone else screwed up and fried their $400 Xantrex inverter by hooking up the battery in reverse polarity by accident? It was very brief, but now the Xantrex is dead! Can this be fixed by replacing an internal fuse?

2015 Voltage 3800 w/ Epic IV, Int&Ext, Garage Pkgs; 8x100W Solar, 2x Xantrex C35 Charge Controllers, SW2000 Inverter & Monitor; 2005 Chevy Duramax Dually 3500 w/Banks; Kawi KFX700 & Polaris Scrambler 500 ATVs.
VCToyhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:39 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCToyhauler View Post
Has anyone else screwed up and fried their $400 Xantrex inverter by hooking up the battery in reverse polarity by accident? It was very brief, but now the Xantrex is dead! Can this be fixed by replacing an internal fuse?
It probably can. I would think it has a reverse polarity protection diode in it to prevent this problem.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:57 PM   #3

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCToyhauler View Post
I hope it is just an internal fuse but I have repaired a few that have destroyed mosfet transistors. I think the fuse doesn't always protect the sensitive electronic devices.
EVguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:05 AM   #4

California
I hope it’s just the fuse.

I want to get an inverter but I’m puzzled on how it’s wired? Should I get one that is also a automatic converter battery charger,? If it doesn’t have a charger built in, then when on the inverter it will power converter that is also charging battery? That or I need a transfer switch? I would like to have a 2,500 watt inverter is I can make coffee and watch tv at the same time. I understand that wattage requires battery storage etc, I just can’t figure out the mechanics of the inverter, converter, plus house or gen power. I want as much auto mystic as possible. I guess I need transfer switch and relays etc.
larrypride is offline   Reply With Quote