Wiring Diagram for Older Trailer - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #1

Wiring Diagram for Older Trailer

Just purchased an older 93 Dutchmen/Four Winds trailer. Want to make some wiring changes and looking for a wiring diagram for the trailer. Anyone know if anything like that exists? I have a wiring diagram of the DC converter but not much else. If there is no such diagram, is there any other diagram of that era that might be useful. The trailer was in excellent condition being under cover for the last 20 years and had little usage. Everything seems to work well. Only thing I have done so far is to install a new battery box with two new 6 v golf cart batteries as old battery and battery wiring were toast. Some of the issues I am looking at are interesting. According to a sales brochure on the vehicle I found it is supposed to have a hot water tank with both propane and 120 v power. Works great on propane but can not find how to turn on the 120 v power for the water heater. The DC converter/breaker box has one breaker labeled by factory for both the microwave and the hot water tank, so there should be some way to switch on/off the 120 v hot water tank so as not to blow this breaker.

mickeyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:43 AM   #2
Community Founder

Re: Wiring Diagram for Older Trailer

Hi mickey,

Welcome to the group.

I doubt you'll find a wiring diagram on that trailer. What brand Water Heater do you have? The two basic brands are Suburban and Atwood. If it is indeed a gas & elec., the Suburban switch is in the lower left corner behind the outside cover.

Atwood water heaters usually has a switch somewhere on the wall that looks like one of the photos below.

There is also a switch on the rear of the water tank. See switch # 26 below.

eRVm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:50 AM   #3

It is an Atwood heater. Rear switch is on. Everything on heater looks like manual says it should. Got it to run on propane, flame was weak and yellow. Overtemp link blew. Cleaned out burner tube and new over temp link has not blown again. Flame now all blue. No switches inside trailer except a center off double throw 120 volt light like switch. Up the microwave turns on. Center position, microwave is off. Could down be hot water tank 120 volt on/off?
mickeyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:57 AM   #4
Community Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyboat
Center position, microwave is off. Could down be hot water tank 120 volt on/off?
You've got me. Try it, see what happens.

Also, check the voltage at the heating element. If the element was powered ON with no water present in the tank, the element is fried.
eRVm is offline   Reply With Quote