Why would I need a surge protector??? - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2015, 02:03 PM   #21

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwelsh View Post
We had a lighting hit somewhere near the campground we were staying at in New York. It hit while we were in town, when we got back, power was out on our rig. Apparently the surge protector did its job. It got fried, but everything inside was ok. I have the progressive industries brand that is made in the USA. Has a lifetime warranty and they repaired it for me for free. Here is the link Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea to their web site. 1st class customer service.
-Jeff
Appreciate the link to Progressive Industries. After reading this thread, and doing some research, I've decided to get more than a surge protector, which protects only for surges, not high/low voltages. I decided to get the Progressive EMS-PT50C. It protects against surges, high/low voltage, miss wiring, etc. It happens to be on a post Christmas 20% off sale until midnight 1/1/16. Thanks for everyone's input!

Old 12-31-2015, 04:36 PM   #22
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonoghu View Post
Appreciate the link to Progressive Industries. After reading this thread, and doing some research, I've decided to get more than a surge protector, which protects only for surges, not high/low voltages. I decided to get the Progressive EMS-PT50C. It protects against surges, high/low voltage, miss wiring, etc. It happens to be on a post Christmas 20% off sale until midnight 1/1/16. Thanks for everyone's input!
I think when most of us talk about a RV surge suppressor we actually mean the full system. I know I do. It is easier to just say suppressor rather than Portable Electric Management System. There are several different ones on the market, but I do agree that Progressive is probably the best one. I have a TRC 30amp, the only reason I bought it was because it was open box and 50% off at CW. On my next trailer I plan to go with hard wired from Progressive.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:08 PM   #23

North Carolina
we have a voltage 3970 on order... in has 3d a/c witch means it'll come with "power management system". anyone know if this option has a surge protector in it? i think its main purpose in life is to allow all 3 a/c units to run at the same time.
I will buy a surge protector if I need one.
hopkins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 04:30 PM   #24
Site Team

North Carolina
Unless Dutchmen has changed the load management system on the Voltage does not provide any type of power protection. It is strictly to keep from overloading the on-board electrical system. So yes you will need some sort of protective device. My recommendation would be the hardwired Progressive Industries one.

Aaron
Old 01-01-2016, 04:36 PM   #25

North Carolina
i checked them out, looks like they have a sale right now... I will look into getting one, thank you aaron

( we get out that your way every now and again, " goose creek)..
Old 01-01-2016, 04:50 PM   #26
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkins44 View Post
i checked them out, looks like they have a sale right now... I will look into getting one, thank you aaron

( we get out that your way every now and again, " goose creek)..
I would spring for the remote display panel too, unless you plan to mount it where it is easily seen. By Goose Creek, I assume you mean Goose Creek State Park? That is a fair bit east of me. I live right on the line between the Sandhills (Southern Pines) and the Coastal Plain. My property backs up against the NE side of Fort Bragg.

Make sure you post pictures of your new unit. I want to see the orange paint job!

Aaron
Old 01-01-2016, 04:57 PM   #27

North Carolina
ok i will. we can't wait...same floor plan as what we are in now. just hoping to get ourselves in something thats built better.

no, goose creek is a campground, near bragg. (not more than 5 miles)
Old 01-01-2016, 06:03 PM   #28
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
ok i will. we can't wait...same floor plan as what we are in now. just hoping to get ourselves in something thats built better.

no, goose creek is a campground, near bragg. (not more than 5 miles)
Never heard of it!

We usually go to Jordan Lake, Kerr Lake or down to the coast around Myrtle Beach, Charleston or in the cooler months Carolina Beach State Park. We do make occasional trips to the mountains. Spent a week up above Wytheville, VA.

Aaron
Old 01-01-2016, 08:05 PM   #29

North Carolina
lol well, I just stuck my foot in my mouth... its near camp lejuune...and not bragg. sorry.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:56 PM   #30
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
lol well, I just stuck my foot in my mouth... its near camp lejuune...and not bragg. sorry.
That makes sense. That is the one I am familiar with. I have been wandering all over eastern NC for the past 30 years for work and been some places that I don't think I could find again if I had to.

Aaron
Old 01-03-2016, 06:48 PM   #31

Florida
Interesting to read these responses. We were at a KOA near Orlando for Christmas, and the couple who hooked up next to us was using one on 50 amp....... their on board power management system had a fit, trying to go from Gen to Shore and back over and over. Maintenance came over to check it out, and being the nibby nose I am, got involved. Good voltage, proper polarity, good connections and so on. They removed the surge protector, and the issue went away and never came back. Maintenance guy told me they run into this frequently with surge protectors,,,,,, says they're more trouble than they are worth. Curious if anyone had seen this either. BTW, I did a voltage check on my tower before hooking up.
2016 Dutchmen Denali 287RE "The Dog House"
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:26 AM   #32
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
Interesting to read these responses. We were at a KOA near Orlando for Christmas, and the couple who hooked up next to us was using one on 50 amp....... their on board power management system had a fit, trying to go from Gen to Shore and back over and over. Maintenance came over to check it out, and being the nibby nose I am, got involved. Good voltage, proper polarity, good connections and so on. They removed the surge protector, and the issue went away and never came back. Maintenance guy told me they run into this frequently with surge protectors,,,,,, says they're more trouble than they are worth. Curious if anyone had seen this either. BTW, I did a voltage check on my tower before hooking up.
I have not, sounds like there might be an issue within the onboard power management system. I have not dealt with those recently so I don't know what they have in them. For a basic RV electrical system you won't go wrong with the plug in surge protector/EMS, and it may just save your bacon.

Aaron