TV sound not coming thru the surround sound speakers - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #1

TV sound not coming thru the surround sound speakers

This was a problem I solved and thought it would be nice to share the solution. This may only apply if your Dutchmen came with an included TV (Haier) and builtin DVD/Radio/Surround Sound mini-deck.

THE ISSUE: The mini-Surround Sound built-in deck only has one INPUT using a pair of analog RCA-type R/L jacks for an external sound source to input. Sound Output from the deck is not an issue, just input is. The DVD sound goes to the ceiling speakers as does, FM radio etc. When you are watching a DVD, the video goes to the TV but the audio goes to the ceiling. But when you play the TV say for a local channel, the TV's sound only comes from the built-in TV speakers, not the ceiling speakers. This is fine if the A/C isn't running full blast. If it is, even having the TV turned up full volume can make it difficult to hear. If you look at the back of the Haier TV, the audio out is limited to either a headphone jack or the digital port labeled 'Coaxial' (don't confuse this port with the antenna coax, Coaxial looks like a singel RCA-type jack).

TECHNICAL NOTE: You will need to be able to get to the jacks at the back of the mini-deck. For my Kodial 242RESL, this was a simple when I removed to screws to get to the access panel. For others, you may have to slide the deck out to the front (see the manual).

SOLUTION 1: You can get a simple converter cable at Radio Shack for Headphone mini-plug to Analog RCA R/L and use that to connect the Haier to the audio INPUT jacks at the back of the mini-surround deck. Downside for this is that the TV's internal speakers are disabled and you will only get sound from the ceiling and not from TV itself. Depending on where your flat panel is mounted, this may not be comfortable to listen that way.

SOLUTION2: Purchase a DAC converter on Amazon for $16. This litte unit is about the size of a small cell phone. It comes with a 12v power adapter that will plug in where your TV is plugged in. The unit has a 'Coaxial' port on one side and 2 RCA R and L on the other that you will use to connect the DAC's R and L to the mini-deck's INPUT R and L. Do it this way and you get sound from both the TV speakers and the ceiling speakers. The only downside is if you want to watch TV inside while piping music to the outside. If that's your desire, then TV sound will be TV only, while you will select something else besides mode AUX on the mini-deck to feed the ceiling and outside.

LAST COMMENTS: When I picked up my Kodiak, the dealer had connected the TV's Analog RCA inputs to the mini-decks inputs. Connecting Input to Input didn't cause any problems, it just didn't provide any funtionality.

hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:08 AM   #2
Hut

North Carolina
We just picked up a new 24resl yesteray. I'm pretty critical of anything audiophile.... Not happy! We have the same issues you have listed, but the sound quality also is pitiful, it's not "surround" (only two speakers), and there's no sub. A trip to the Bose store is in my sights .

Our Jayco had a pretty thumpy system. I expected as much with the Kodiak....

Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:30 AM   #3

These posts had me going back to look at my owner's manual and factory brochure for my 263RLSL and there is no mention of "surround sound" or having a sub. The mini-deck and tv are both stereo and referred to as such in all the factory literature. The sound from our speakers are certainly not Bose but are not pitiful either; in fact, we were pleasantly surprised as to how good they sound. I do agree the A/C and heater fan is so loud you can hardly hear when they are on but just make sure they are on the auto setting and at least they turn off fairly frequently. My biggest issue is that with the volume on its lowest setting on FM, it is still way too loud. The problem doesn't exist on CD's or DVD's so not sure what is going on there. Frankly, we spend most of our time listening to nature or reading and only occasionly use the sound system or tv.
BigBoyjack b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
Hut

North Carolina
Hbillsmith: I just crawled up under my TV and it was hooked up the same way.... Evidently there are no RCA audio outs on it. Bought the RadioShak cable and now in business. Still don't like the sound, but at least it's working through the top speakers.

We are nighttime movie watchers.... I gotta get it right!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #5

Texas
Our Komfort has the Sony surround with sub woofer and a Haier TV with the same results. no surround with TV only with the DVD will try the above method, Thanks
aapcon131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:19 PM   #6
Hut

North Carolina
Ok, didn't make it to the Bose store (well, I made it but couldn't justify the price), but did make it to Best Buy for a sweet little Samsung surround system. Speakers and sub are all very compact. I will secure the speakers into their new home tomorrow, but have already got to enjoy a couple movies with much better sound. Ahhh..., it's the little things in life!

An interesting note: the unit that came in the trailer is 12 volt! I'm going to have to make a couple mods to get ac to the new system. Can do!