Thermostat gives an E4 error - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #1

Montana
Thermostat gives an E4 error

Hi. My 2012 Aspen Trail travel trailer is flashing an E4 error code on the thermostat. This wall mounted thermostat controls the furnace and A/C. I have a 13.5 kBtu Dometic A/C unit and an 18 kBtu furnace. While working in the TT last weekend the furnace worked fine even though it was flashing the error. I have not tried the A/C. Last fall when I purchased the TT, the A/C and furnace worked fine and there was no error code. I've done some internet searching and it seems like this error code is common and often associated with an A/C that is not working, so I'll have to check if mine is working. The TT is plugged into shore power, but I have been doing some plugging in and unplugging while doing some mod work on it this spring. I also blew a DC fuse for the 12V power outlet by doing a bonehead move of hooking up a small inverter to it with the power wires hooked up in reverse polarity. During that trouble shooting I removed another 10A fuse without paying attention to what it controlled. All fuses have been replaced and all 12V power seems to be working fine. Does anyone here have any suggestions?
Thanks.
Thermostat looks like this, but without the "Heat Pump" part.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:34 AM   #2
Community Founder

Re: Thermostat gives an E4 error

Remove the A/C fuse for 1 minute. Reinstall and try the A/C again.
Note: Fuse is behind the converter door and should be labeled.

If that doesn't work, there is a possibility the Freeze Sensor is bad.
Or, the partition between the Evaporator and Condensing unit is not sealed properly, causing the Evaporator to freeze up.

Below is a list of ERROR Codes.

E1 Loss of communication between the CCC 2 thermostat and all system power module boards. System will shut down.
E1 Loss of communication between the CCC 2 thermostat and an individual system power module board. The LED will display error code EI and the zone number that lost communication. Any additional zones that loose communication will blink in addition to the current zone.
E2 Open circuit or out-of-range indoor temperature sensor. All heat , cool, and dehumidify operations will be locked out. Manual fan operation will continue.
E3 Shorted Indoor Temperature Sensor. All heat, cool, and dehumidify operation will be locked out. Manual fan operation will continue.

E4 Open circuit or out of range Outdoor Temperature Sensor (select models). Heat pump and dehumidification operation will be locked out. Air conditioner, furnace, heat strip and fan operation can continue to operate.

E5 Open circuit or out of range Freeze Sensor. Air conditioner and dehumidification operation will be locked out. Heat pump, furnace, heat strip and fan operation can continue to operate but displays the last temperature set-point.
E6 Open circuit Humidity Sensor (Select Models). Air conditioner and dehumidification will be locked out. Heat pump, furnace heat strip and fan can continue to operate.
E7 Loss of 120 VAC power to all power module boards on the system. The system will shut down.
E8 Invalid zone configuration. The heat pump and heat strip DIP switches are both set to the ON position in one zone. Heat pump, heat strip, air conditioner, and dehumidify operation will be locked out in the affected zone.
E9 Invalid zone configuration. The dehumidifier DIP switch and either the heat pump or heat strip DIP switches are set to the ON position in one zone. Heat pump, heat strip, air conditioner, and dehumidify operation will be locked out in the affected zone.

eRVm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:01 AM   #3

Montana

Thanks, I'll try pulling the fuse. I did confirm that my AC is still working fine.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #4

Montana

Update. Pulling the fuse for at least a minute cleared out the error. The fuse was labeled "furnace." Thanks for the help.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
VIP Member

Now that is the value of this site. Thank you and I don't even have that type of thermostat.
2010 Dutchmen Lite 25C-GS[/left:3djbo713]
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote