Solar batteries - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-13-2016, 04:50 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
hddecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: kamloops
Posts: 2,152
British Columbia
Solar batteries

A little pricey like all first generation technology, but when they get the weight and size down to RV size they could be a winner.

https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/powerwall
__________________

__________________
Jim

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:37 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,817
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
A little pricey like all first generation technology, but when they get the weight and size down to RV size they could be a winner.

https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/powerwall
Yep, buy a truck load!! Should impact my TESLA stock when they become available.
__________________

__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:55 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
hddecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: kamloops
Posts: 2,152
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Yep, buy a truck load!! Should impact my TESLA stock when they become available.
Why do you think I brought it up.

Actually, I was standing in front of the camper and the contour of the the nose cone caught my attention. One of them Tesla batteries would fit into the contour of the nose cone quite nicely, if there was there was suitable framing for it.

If they get the weight down closer to 4 golf cart batteries, give me the reserve they are claiming and the ten year warranty. I could see it coming close to the same money I would spend on AGM or Gel Cell batteries.

I bet there are a few guys running lead acid setups that are already close to the weight already.

And how cool would it be to plug into your camper when there is a power outage.
__________________
Jim

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 03:13 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,817
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Why do you think I brought it up.

Actually, I was standing in front of the camper and the contour of the the nose cone caught my attention. One of them Tesla batteries would fit into the contour of the nose cone quite nicely, if there was there was suitable framing for it.

If they get the weight down closer to 4 golf cart batteries, give me the reserve they are claiming and the ten year warranty. I could see it coming close to the same money I would spend on AGM or Gel Cell batteries.

I bet there are a few guys running lead acid setups that are already close to the weight already.

And how cool would it be to plug into your camper when there is a power outage.
If I remember correctly the deep cycles I had a few years back weighed in at 68 pounds for a six volt, each. So a FLA battery bank could easily come close to the TESLA battery.
__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:03 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
hddecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: kamloops
Posts: 2,152
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
If I remember correctly the deep cycles I had a few years back weighed in at 68 pounds for a six volt, each. So a FLA battery bank could easily come close to the TESLA battery.
Your right, when I read the specs, I mixed the pounds and kilos together. It lodged in my mind as 297 pounds, not the 214 that Tesla states.
__________________
Jim

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:37 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 64
Ontario
These are very cool, they're getting very close with the solar technology for it to be affordable and practical for use by the masses. It will be a game changer for society.
WoodlawnDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:20 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
hddecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: kamloops
Posts: 2,152
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlawnDon View Post
These are very cool, they're getting very close with the solar technology for it to be affordable and practical for use by the masses. It will be a game changer for society.
I'm ready for them, our stick house is perfectly sited for a solar setup on the roof. The only thing that has held me up from building one is the storage. I never liked the idea of having batteries spewing the gas that has to be vented to the exterior.

I'm kind of gun shy when it comes to lead acid batteries, ever since I had one blow up on me. I nearly lost an eye and I have no idea what cause the spark that made the battery blow.
__________________

__________________
Jim

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Popular Tags
#coleman 5th wheel 12vdc power connection 255bhsl kodiak 2003 35bh 2018 atlas 3818 aerolite air conditioning alabama battery battery charging bike rack black water tank size buying cable hookup canvas charge controller coleman condensation converter denali lights diagrams drain dutchmen dutchmen classic 28bh electric conversion elyectrical floor four winds frame fresh water tank furnace gen hot water heater hydraulic interior international inverter inverter kodiak lippert lost voltage panel modification pilot. sway presidential rain ram 3500 recommended refrigerator repair replace replacement roof build rubicon sandwich floor sensot slide out solar stove structural fault switch t@da tank guage thermostat tires toyhauler toyhauler dust rampdoor tub water heater wiring diagram
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Dutchmen RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT. The time now is 06:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.