Solar batteries - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2016, 04:50 PM   #1

British Columbia
Solar batteries

A little pricey like all first generation technology, but when they get the weight and size down to RV size they could be a winner.

https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/powerwall

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:37 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
A little pricey like all first generation technology, but when they get the weight and size down to RV size they could be a winner.

https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/powerwall
Yep, buy a truck load!! Should impact my TESLA stock when they become available.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:55 AM   #3

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Yep, buy a truck load!! Should impact my TESLA stock when they become available.
Why do you think I brought it up.

Actually, I was standing in front of the camper and the contour of the the nose cone caught my attention. One of them Tesla batteries would fit into the contour of the nose cone quite nicely, if there was there was suitable framing for it.

If they get the weight down closer to 4 golf cart batteries, give me the reserve they are claiming and the ten year warranty. I could see it coming close to the same money I would spend on AGM or Gel Cell batteries.

I bet there are a few guys running lead acid setups that are already close to the weight already.

And how cool would it be to plug into your camper when there is a power outage.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:13 AM   #4

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Why do you think I brought it up.

Actually, I was standing in front of the camper and the contour of the the nose cone caught my attention. One of them Tesla batteries would fit into the contour of the nose cone quite nicely, if there was there was suitable framing for it.

If they get the weight down closer to 4 golf cart batteries, give me the reserve they are claiming and the ten year warranty. I could see it coming close to the same money I would spend on AGM or Gel Cell batteries.

I bet there are a few guys running lead acid setups that are already close to the weight already.

And how cool would it be to plug into your camper when there is a power outage.
If I remember correctly the deep cycles I had a few years back weighed in at 68 pounds for a six volt, each. So a FLA battery bank could easily come close to the TESLA battery.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:03 AM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
If I remember correctly the deep cycles I had a few years back weighed in at 68 pounds for a six volt, each. So a FLA battery bank could easily come close to the TESLA battery.
Your right, when I read the specs, I mixed the pounds and kilos together. It lodged in my mind as 297 pounds, not the 214 that Tesla states.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:37 PM   #6

Ontario
These are very cool, they're getting very close with the solar technology for it to be affordable and practical for use by the masses. It will be a game changer for society.
WoodlawnDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:20 PM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlawnDon View Post
These are very cool, they're getting very close with the solar technology for it to be affordable and practical for use by the masses. It will be a game changer for society.
I'm ready for them, our stick house is perfectly sited for a solar setup on the roof. The only thing that has held me up from building one is the storage. I never liked the idea of having batteries spewing the gas that has to be vented to the exterior.

I'm kind of gun shy when it comes to lead acid batteries, ever since I had one blow up on me. I nearly lost an eye and I have no idea what cause the spark that made the battery blow.