So, what does the battery cutoff switch really do? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2015, 10:43 PM   #1

Florida
So, what does the battery cutoff switch really do?

Dropped my 3950 off at my service center AGAIN! at 5 a.m this week on my way to work.
After disconnecting from my truck I started to drive off and remembered that I didn't turn off the battery switch. Opened basement door and turned on light above battery disconnect so I could see to make sure I moved it to off. Turned battery switch off and light in basement stayed on. Turned off basement light, not really thinking too much about it until I started to get in my truck and noticed that my docking lights were also on!
Went back and rotated switch a couple of times with no change.
Had to get to work so I didn't have time to mess with it as I am used to my battery always being dead when I pick it up. Have to jump battery every time I pick it up just to start the genset so I can hook up.
Anyway, I know about several items causing parasitic drain (which is what I always attributed dead battery to upon pick up) but now I wonder if anyone else has lights that stay on when battery switch of off?
Do I have a bad disconnect switch too? (won't surpise me!)
The embilical cord was disconnected from truck so that is not the cause.

Any ideas?

P.S. I was not on shore power either

The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:12 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
No telling. I am the firm belief that a battery disconnect switch should do just that. Apparently Dutchmen seems to think differently and has all sorts of things wired in front of the switch. It is possible to have a bad switch, but I would bet on screwed wiring. I usually put my disconnect switch right at the battery. About the only thing I would allow in front of the switch might be the breakaway switch, but I am not sold on that either. If someone pulls the pin, it can drain a battery pretty quickly.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 01:14 PM   #3

Florida
I guess since it at the dealer, I may as well ask them to check it out but I am sure Dutchmen will say it is the way they intended it to work. Or they may find that Dutchmen forgot to add the sticker that says "switch for decoration only, not really for battery disconnect".
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:18 AM   #4

Montana
The only disconnect switch that I would trust is one that I install myself right on the negative battery terminal.
Either this style,http://www.amazon.com/Post-Battery-M...connect+switch

Or a blade style.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:45 AM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
I have used the Perko switches in the past. I usually mount them inside the storage compartment. Occasionally on the battery box. Marinco makes a pretty decent one too.

Currently I just pull the cable off the battery if the trailer is going to be parked for a long period of time without being plugged in.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote