Schwintek slide power - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2014, 03:16 PM   #1

Florida
Schwintek slide power

Our 330RLS has 3 slides, 2 of which are Schwintek. These slides are large. Galley is probably 15 feet long and contains fridge, kit counter, fireplace, and 40" TV. Bedroom is king and a closet beside it. Unit is less than 6 mo old and I have had problems with the galley not driving. Dealer said never run them part way. Always do a full drive, but this is not always easy. Had to push on it once to close it (an almost impossible job with 14 screws in my back). Dealer also said use shore power only. And I always level the unit first. But the converter can't keep up with the 12 volt requirements of those motors. I did find a loose connection at the 12 volt disconnect. And now I am considering a second battery in parallel. ( Went to electric and electronic school in 1967. Retired as an industrial electrician.)
Anyone else fighting these slides? I'm scared when the warranty runs out. We use this unit every 3 weeks or so. Any thoughts?

GGreGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:22 PM   #2

Maryland
You are on the right track. You have hit everything I have been told:

1. Level the trailer
2. Run complete cycles. If stop partially, try to run the shortest distance to restart the sequence. It is my understanding that the motors are sequenced and counts are done by the control box.
3. Always run with shore power or generator.

With that said, I do have two batteries to ensure the power for the slides will be forever present. Knock on wood, I have been good so far.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:46 PM   #3

Indiana
I've had my fair share of problems with both of my Schwintek slides. Bedroom/closets slide and like you galley/entertainment.
My question, do you have your refrigerator full of stuff? This can have an adverse effect on the slide moving and dragging on the floor (even though you may not hear it). That was one of the things that my tech discussed with my DW and I. I lightened (took beer out) this solved my galley/entertainment slide issue.
You should also check to see if you actually have a deep cycle marine or RV battery in your rig. The Dutchmen idiots have been selling these units with a car starting type battery. They have stud terminals to make it look like its a deep cell. That's why these techs are always saying to be plugged into shore power. They're actually promoting the lie. Remember a tech is employed by the dealer. Their loyalty is where their check comes from.
Hope this helps. Good luck!

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:50 PM   #4

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinityrver View Post
I've had my fair share of problems with both of my Schwintek slides. Bedroom/closets slide and like you galley/entertainment.
My question, do you have your refrigerator full of stuff? This can have an adverse effect on the slide moving and dragging on the floor (even though you may not hear it). That was one of the things that my tech discussed with my DW and I. I lightened (took beer out) this solved my galley/entertainment slide issue.
You should also check to see if you actually have a deep cycle marine or RV battery in your rig. The Dutchmen idiots have been selling these units with a car starting type battery. They have stud terminals to make it look like its a deep cell. That's why these techs are always saying to be plugged into shore power. They're actually promoting the lie. Remember a tech is employed by the dealer. Their loyalty is where their check comes from.
Hope this helps. Good luck!
Deep cycle battery or not....those little motors are high torque and extremely power hungry. Watch the lights for battery charge in your switch panel. When the slides are actuated, they go to empty....a weak battery will have a hard time providing consistent power for high torque. Plug it in or run the generator to be safe.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:03 PM   #5

Arizona
It is my understanding that many Schwintek installations were poorly done, which causes most of our problems. I've seen 45' Class A monsters with 25' full-wall slides operating without any problems so I don't believe size or weight is an issue. It takes more time to properly install Schwintek systems and it seems trailers suffer as a result poor jobs being done.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:51 PM   #6

Florida
I do have a deep cycle battery. But this unit has spent more time at the dealer than with me. The last time i picked it up, the battery was down to 3v because they had not used the disconnect when they parked it. It had to be jumped to activate the leveling computer. It has to go back again. The Quick Camp handheld remote was not delivered in Aug. After 2 months of disagreement over the fact that it was "included" with the 330RLS, the reciever was changed and a remote delivered only to find out the wall mounted controller wouldn't work. Am now waiting on a new 3 piece system. Thanks for the input, I'm going to install a second battery for sure.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:33 AM   #7

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGreGG View Post
I do have a deep cycle battery. But this unit has spent more time at the dealer than with me. The last time i picked it up, the battery was down to 3v because they had not used the disconnect when they parked it. It had to be jumped to activate the leveling computer. It has to go back again. The Quick Camp handheld remote was not delivered in Aug. After 2 months of disagreement over the fact that it was "included" with the 330RLS, the reciever was changed and a remote delivered only to find out the wall mounted controller wouldn't work. Am now waiting on a new 3 piece system. Thanks for the input, I'm going to install a second battery for sure.
My quick disconnect only stops me from using my slides and moving my Lippert leveling system. It's always drained the batteries over time if not plugged into shore power. I believe it's the way it is wired. If I leave my rig unplugged from shore power I disconnect one of the battery cables.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 12-16-2014, 12:53 AM   #8

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
It is my understanding that many Schwintek installations were poorly done, which causes most of our problems. I've seen 45' Class A monsters with 25' full-wall slides operating without any problems so I don't believe size or weight is an issue. It takes more time to properly install Schwintek systems and it seems trailers suffer as a result poor jobs being done.

The weight issue that I was talking about was, in our case, the 12 cubic foot fridge was freighted and was dragging the base board on the floor which created more resistance for them little high torqued motors. The motors are made to react to friction/electrical resistance. That was why I brought it up to Ggregg. Chances are he doesn't have that same issue, just figured I'd bring it up.

Buddy of mine has a Meridian MH with Schwintek slides. Like you said they're problem free. Lets see......$300,000.00 versus $85,000.00. Apparently, money talks

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Old 12-16-2014, 01:01 AM   #9

Florida
My disconnect is between the positive battery terminal and the first positive connection. It shuts down everything.
Also, my trailer is a 2014 with king bed slide and huge galley slide. Denali has not stopped using Schwintek componets.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:23 AM   #10

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGreGG View Post
My disconnect is between the positive battery terminal and the first positive connection. It shuts down everything.
Also, my trailer is a 2014 with king bed slide and huge galley slide. Denali has not stopped using Schwintek componets.
Ah, so the drain of the battery came from them just working on everything without plugging into shore power.
I've also, got to amend the no Schwintek on the 2015 Infinity. They still use it on the bedroom slide. It's no longer on the galley slide.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL

Tags
dual batteries, electrical, schwintek