Satellite TV Connection - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2014, 07:28 PM   #1

Pennsylvania
Satellite TV Connection

I have a 13 Coloeman CTS262bh. I am told its virtually the same camper as a Dutchman 261BHS. We currently have it sitting in a seasonal spot where we have access to a Direct TV Satellite Dish. I was told by a fellow camper that I may not be able to run the satellite cable into the port on the side of the trailer. He was saying that satellites are different and that I may have to run the cable through a window directly to the receiver box. Can anyone shed any light on this? Being that its winter time, I am unable to do anything about it until April!. Just curious if anyone might know the answer. My thoughts are that its a newer camper, so I would hope that its capable of handling either cable or satellite throughout he port on the side. Thanks in advance for Amy help!

Old 01-13-2014, 08:28 PM   #2

Texas
I was able to run it into mine through the outside connection. Make sure to turn off the antenna booster or it will mess up the signal.

firestone bags with AirRide wireless auto level Curt Q20 on R5 rails
Jbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:13 PM   #3

British Columbia
X2 on the antenna booster.

There are 2 different coax cables on the market used for tv, RG 6 and RG 59, they both work and my tired old eyes can't see any difference in picture quality.

I had a problem with the way the the coax was attached to the splitter in the living area. The cable from the outside connection was attached to the output side and the bedroom TV was attached to the input.

Once the coax cables were attached to the correct terminals everything was fine.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:32 PM   #4

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post

There are 2 different coax cables on the market used for tv, RG 6 and RG 59, they both work and my tired old eyes can't see any difference in picture quality.

I had a problem with the way the the coax was attached to the splitter in the living area. The cable from the outside connection was attached to the output side and the bedroom TV was attached to the input.

Once the coax cables were attached to the correct terminals everything was fine.
RG-6 has higher bandwidth than RG-59 the higher bandwidth more data on cable (Better picture, HD).

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:36 PM   #5

I think what your friend was telling you is there must be a straight run from the outside to the satellite receiver. If the line has a splitter in it before it reaches the receiver it will not work. some campers split the incoming line to go to the bedroom and or outside. If yours is split between outside and the satellite receiver then you MUST run a separate line.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:56 PM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:

I was out in the trailer yesterday tinkering and had look at my TV setup.

It must be the old "unimproved" version. My problem was that there are two coax connections on the outside of my trailer. One is marked Cable, the other is marked Satellite, the Cable coax was attached to the output side of the splitter, so I had no signal no on the living room TV.

This is the first trailer that I recall seeing two coax connectors on the outside. Does anybody else have this setup. I guess it would be handy if all you want to do is watch TV, you can switch from cable to sat TV without going outside.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #7

Quote:
I was out in the trailer yesterday tinkering and had look at my TV setup.

It must be the old "unimproved" version. My problem was that there are two coax connections on the outside of my trailer. One is marked Cable, the other is marked Satellite, the Cable coax was attached to the output side of the splitter, so I had no signal no on the living room TV.

This is the first trailer that I recall seeing two coax connectors on the outside. Does anybody else have this setup. I guess it would be handy if all you want to do is watch TV, you can switch from cable to sat TV without going outside.
You cannot watch sat or cable without going outside. Some setups have only one outside connector where you can connect either sat or cable but even those you have to go outside to make the swap.

Now you could connect both the sat and cable to the outside connections and make the swap inside which ever one you choose to watch.

Decisions decisions..
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:48 AM   #8

Nevada
I ran an second RG6 for Sat so I won't have to go outside one that I added just goes to the Sat receiver then a HDMI switch then a HDMI cable to each TV.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:36 PM   #9

Ontario
We have a 2015 Coleman CTS262bh and we had the same problem could not watch satellite using the existing connections, i.e. 2 connections outside and one for second set in Bedroom and of course the main power amp face plate in the entertainment centre. The book and the RV dealership says if you want to watch cable/satellite you need to turn the Amplifier off but this does not work due to the fact that the dish sees the face plate as a splitter and no signal gets through so here is the fix for you if you have the same problem without loosing the power amp for the radio.

First remove the fuse for the radio which is also for the power amp.

remove the face plate from the cabinet you will see 3 coaxial cables and 2 power cables. pic.

This is the book schematic that show the rear of the face plate remove the coaxial marked cable. now drill a hole the same size as a cable connector ( see next pic)

below where the original connector comes through face.
plate. and put the cable connector through this hole and lock it off with the lock nut. Now connect the coaxial you removed from the back to this new connector. replace face plate and connect receiver box replace the fuse and power up your amp so you can still use radio. see next pic of how the end result should looks.

you can also connect the out from receiver to the original faceplate outlet and this will still run satellite to the master bedroom outlet.

hope this helps

Rab
madrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:50 AM   #10

Ontario
sorry all it appears the pics I put in the above didn't appear bizarre ill try and repost with links to the images instead.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:52 AM   #11

Ontario
We have a 2015 Coleman CTS262bh and we had the same problem could not watch satellite using the existing connections, i.e. 2 connections outside and one for second set in Bedroom and of course the main power amp face plate in the entertainment centre. The book and the RV dealership says if you want to watch cable/satellite you need to turn the Amplifier off but this does not work due to the fact that the dish sees the face plate as a splitter and no signal gets through so here is the fix for you if you have the same problem without loosing the power amp for the radio.

First remove the fuse for the radio which is also for the power amp.

remove the face plate from the cabinet you will see 3 coaxial cables and 2 power cables. pic.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2q...it?usp=sharing

This is the book schematic that show the rear of the face plate remove the coaxial marked cable. now drill a hole the same size as a cable connector ( see next pic)

below where the original connector comes through face.
plate. and put the cable connector through this hole and lock it off with the lock nut. Now connect the coaxial you removed from the back to this new connector. replace face plate and connect receiver box replace the fuse and power up your amp so you can still use radio. see next pic of how the end result should looks.

you can also connect the out from receiver to the original faceplate outlet and this will still run satellite to the master bedroom outlet.

hope this helps

Rab
Old 07-31-2014, 01:03 AM   #12

Colorado
I have no idea if Dish is different from Direct, but when we had Direct installed in our house they had to replace all the splitters with ones specific to the frequency Direct uses. I asked the installer if that would apply to the RV. He took a look and said "yes" and suggested just running a separate direct cable from the dish to the receiver if we decided to use it in the camper. For what it is worth.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote