Remote Battery Charging Suggestions - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2019, 05:48 PM   #1

Colorado
Remote Battery Charging Suggestions

90 percent or more of our camping is boondocking. I'm looking for proven options to keeping our batteries charged while remote. I'm swapping 2 12volt to a minimum of 2 6volt Deep Cycle batteries. Just looking to keep the lights and water pump on for at least a week.

I'm going to utilize wind and solar since here in Colorado there's generally plenty of both.

I'd like to see what others have used with success. Links are appreciated as well as your time, thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aspen_Trail.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	5215  

Old 01-24-2019, 11:15 AM   #2

Florida
bunches of us have utilized solar but I have not heard of anyone using a wind powered generator. I know they make them for marine applications.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:38 PM   #3

Oklahoma
Wind generators can be used in any application where there is wind. However, a minimum wind speed is needed constantly for the wind application to be beneficial.
Then there is the noise factor to deal with, especially when the wind changes direction and the generator has to head into the wind causing the blades to feather. Then you have the braking system on the generator that creates noise while it protects itself from over charging because of high wind speeds.
Also, there is the mounting staff and associated equipment to erect the generator. Heavy cables also.

If you enjoy the tranquility of remote camping and sleeping leave the wind generator in the store.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:41 PM   #4

California
Is a regular generator not an option? You can plug a battery charger in to it and be back up to full charge in no time, then top trickle charge with solar.
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:20 PM   #5

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
Is a regular generator not an option? You can plug a battery charger in to it and be back up to full charge in no time, then top trickle charge with solar.

It is but I'd like that to be the backup/failsafe option. Noise is a factor as well as cost.

I may be rethinking this and go with additional batteries and solar panel(s)
Old 01-30-2019, 01:38 AM   #6

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denowen View Post
It is but I'd like that to be the backup/failsafe option. Noise is a factor as well as cost.

I may be rethinking this and go with additional batteries and solar panel(s)
You can run a lot off propane, but if you use AC, you will need a generator. Also the microwave, toaster and coffee maker are tough on power, but with solar, golf cart batteries and an inverter, I think you will be set for everything but AC.
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:27 PM   #7

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
You can run a lot off propane, but if you use AC, you will need a generator. Also the microwave, toaster and coffee maker are tough on power, but with solar, golf cart batteries and an inverter, I think you will be set for everything but AC.
Thanks, I know about the usage, just trying to come up with an efficient charging method without a generator.

Research into wind generator shows it may be early for cost effective universal use in the RV world. Solar is the most likely go to from here.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:24 PM   #8

I have one flexible solar panel on my toy hauler, works great, boondocking in moab for 7 days at a time, no problem , even running the fantastic fan on medium during the day to keep dogs comfortable inside the shade of the unit with windows cracked open!
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:39 PM   #9

Oklahoma
When we take ours out to a disaster site I have used solar (3 of the Harbor freight systems ganged together) & 4 12 v batteries in parallel with success keeping all the radios and computers running for 10 days as well as the camper 12 v systems... We also have a 5k gen available for supplying power as needed...
Red Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:27 PM   #10

Montana
Solar works great. If you're not full timing, I'd say 200-400 watts of solar with 2x6V golf cart batteries in series and you've got yourself a great boondocking system.

Also important are demand-side improvements like LED lighting everywhere and energy use awareness. Run fridge on propane.