Progressive vs Surge Guard - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2016, 06:24 PM   #1

Tennessee
Progressive vs Surge Guard

After doing a bit of research I decided it would be in my best interests to get a surge protector for my new Coleman 262BH. I've heard some bad stories about the Surge Guard 30 amp EMS, mainly about very little to no tech support and incredibly hard to get warranty issues worked out. Also the warranty on the PI is lifetime vs the 1 year on the SG. And last but not least, it's made in America. Because of all this I chose the Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C. Have any of y'all that have the same one had any real issues with it?

Thanks! -Frosty

Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:12 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
I am currently using a TRCI Surge guard, so far it is doing the job. I got too good a deal on it to pass up. Two RV's back I had the hard wired PI and had zero issues with it. Eventually I will go back to the hardwired PI. Only recent issue I have heard of with them has been issues with water getting into them and causing problems. Most people have been putting a garbage bag over the power pole if they are in an area of heavy rain. I know that PI is coming out with a new and improved model for 2017. I have a buddy that has their portable unit and he has had two replaced under warranty, no problems. Don't recall what his issues were.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:54 PM   #3

Tennessee
Yeah I saw the new model after I had already put my order in this morning. Oh well. They say they're still going to fully support it and the lifetime warranty still stays in place, so that's good. And that's awesome that they replaced your buddy's without any issue. That's probably the biggest selling point to me is I've read in many places they take care of their customers really well.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:10 PM   #4

New Jersey
I have the 50 amp version. No problems. It's done it's job in low voltage situations by dropping power. Not had any high voltage, surges, or miss wired situations that I know of for it to handle. I find it comforting to watch the frequency, voltage on each leg, draw on each leg, and see if there were any fault codes when I walk by it.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:50 PM   #5

Kentucky
I need to purchase one of these before my next outing. I have read a lot of good things about Progressive Industries products.
BarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 12:28 AM   #6

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD View Post
I have read a lot of good things about Progressive Industries products.
Me too. In fact I tried pretty hard to find a bad review of the PI protector but I couldn't. (I'm sure there's one out there but I gave up looking.) On the flip side, the other brand had a number of complaints of unit failure and trying to get ahold of the company, much less a replacement, was difficult - if not impossible.

But it's a must have item though. Pricey but I'm sure it's a whole lot cheaper than replacing electronics and appliances!
Old 12-31-2016, 02:48 PM   #7

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
Me too. In fact I tried pretty hard to find a bad review of the PI protector but I couldn't. (I'm sure there's one out there but I gave up looking.) On the flip side, the other brand had a number of complaints of unit failure and trying to get ahold of the company, much less a replacement, was difficult - if not impossible.

But it's a must have item though. Pricey but I'm sure it's a whole lot cheaper than replacing electronics and appliances!
Progressive Industries is the way I am going to go. I did not know surge protection was needed until I joined this forum. Just lucky that I did not run across any issues on all the trips I took with my first camper. Glad this is not a lesson I am going to learn the hard way.
BarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:12 PM   #8

Texas
Yep, every power pedestal across this land is a stranger unknown to your vulnerable home away from home. While most will prove to be no threat, the occasional evil one is sure to be waiting.

Alas, nothing to fear if properly protected.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:13 PM   #9

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD View Post
Progressive Industries is the way I am going to go. I did not know surge protection was needed until I joined this forum. Just lucky that I did not run across any issues on all the trips I took with my first camper. Glad this is not a lesson I am going to learn the hard way.
I didn't think much of it myself until I bought a new RV. Previously I have had a pop up that had many issues. The only electrical things that did work really was the AC and the lights. It was great for a starter but such a pain in the ass to setup and take down. But, now that I have something that stands to be heavily damaged without a surge protector, I got one. My CW dealer really tried to push one on me and I thought $300ish was a bit much for a surge protector.. Did some research on if I even needed one, asked some friends here that are pretty hardcore RV'ers and figured I'd get one. Glad I didn't get the one at Camping World as their prices are obscene for that kind of stuff. Plus they didn't carry the Progressive Industries ones, just the Surge Guard. Glad I did some price checking before throwing money at it!
Old 12-31-2016, 07:26 PM   #10

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Alas, nothing to fear if properly protected.
Words to live by. I'd rather blow the $230 I did on this PI unit than have to pay the probable thousands of dollars for damages should something happen.