Powered Vent Install - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2017, 03:49 PM   #1

Virginia
Powered Vent Install

I want to install a powered vent in my Coleman CTS192 where no vent currently exists. I've seen several videos where vents are replaced but none where a hole is cut into a roof and a new vent is installed. It seems there is a wood frame around the existing vents which I guess I'll need to create when installing a new fan. I called up Fan-Tastic Vent on this but they have not guidance. Has anyone seen a video or have knowledge on how to install a new fan in a travel trailer?

Fan-Tastic support did say they have two wires coming out of the fan and the black one is 12V positive. A problem I have is determining if a trailer wire I tie into is 12V positive or 12V negative. I’m thinking if I touch the multimeter red lead to the negative wire and the multimeter black lead to the positive wire the multimeter will display -12V. Is there a way to determine if a wire is negative or positive using a multimeter?

Also the Fan-Tastic vent site does not have specs on power vent power consumption on their model page. I've seen some unboxing videos where 3A is listed as the max amp draw on a Fan-Tastic vent box. Looking at Amazon I think I saw a MaxAir vent with an amp draw around 5A. I want to use the least power possible while still getting over 900CFM. Fan-Tastic support today said if I purchased a more expensive fan (over twice the low-end fan price) the amp draw was only 1.9A @ 920CFM - seems unlikely as Fan-Tastic claims the same fan motor is used in all their products. Anyone know of a site which identifies the amp usage for these two fans?

Thanks!

WannaBeFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:37 PM   #2

Oklahoma
A digital volt meter will read the voltage either way but will show with a minus sign if the meter is connected backwards.
An analog meter will read either way also except the needle will go off scale or to a lower scale reading if the meter is connected backwards.

With the shaded pole motors it will either not run or run backwards if connected in reverse. Not really a big deal since the motor and vent housing aren't bonded to ground in the RV.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:16 AM   #3

Virginia
Thanks sundancer 87,

Makes sense. Thank you much :-)
Old 05-13-2017, 12:47 AM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
I have the Fantastic Fan 2000 series (I think) it is 3 amps on high, less on the lower settings. Mine is manual open, thermostat and rain sensor.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:24 AM   #5

Virginia
Aaron,

Thanks for the details on the Fantastic 2000 model. I’m thinking I'll go with the Fantastic brand vs MaxAir primarily due to the lower amp draw. I was originally going with the base Fantastic model as I did not see a big advantage to having air pushed into the RV, I don't travel with pets so the thermostat is not that important for me, and I'll be using a Fantastic Vent cover so I don't need to be worried with rain.

On additional reflection, the thermostat could save quite a few amp hours. As the temperature drops at night the vent would continue to run with a comfortable inside temperature wasting amp hours and potentially making me uncomfortably cold while I sleep.

I was watching a YouTuber review a MaxAir fan with thermostat and he did not find a way to control the thermostat set point. An Amazon reviewer stated the thermostat set point could be set on Fantastic vents with a thermostat but said it was not degrees Celsius/Fahrenheit based.

I could probably find a thermostat (something like -50-110°C W1209 12V Digital thermostat Temperature Control Switch sensor Module | eBay) to connect to the base Fantastic Fan. This would use a small amount of power so I’d probably add a switch for the thermometer and I’m guessing I’d have to reset the thermometer set point each time power is cut to the thermometer. Probably much better to go with the more expensive model ��
Old 05-15-2017, 09:59 AM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Check the Fantastic Vent website for what is available. The thermostats on mine are rotary, we open the vent up and turn the thermostat until it starts the fan then if it gets too cold we turn it back a bit and leave it at that set point. One thing I do like about the Fantastic Vents is that it is fairly easy to upgrade the fan to something fancier just by switching out the interior components, not the whole vent assembly. We are upgrading our bedroom one to the top of the line with remote control. That way it will blow in and have a remote, my bride is vertically challenged and can only reach the controls by getting on the bed.

Aaron
Old 05-15-2017, 06:51 PM   #7

Virginia
Thanks Aaron,

The videos where I've seen the thermostatic fantastic vents used I saw what appeared be be an user adjustable dial to set the thermostat set point. Thanks for confirming that

My CTS192 has some low ceilings but I didn't consider if my wife could reach the vents. That is a very good point. I'll have to test that out and maybe I'll end up with a remote. That remote would be nice to have when in bed. If it gets really cold the vent could be fully closed from bed
Old 05-15-2017, 09:09 PM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeFree View Post
Thanks Aaron,

The videos where I've seen the thermostatic fantastic vents used I saw what appeared be be an user adjustable dial to set the thermostat set point. Thanks for confirming that

My CTS192 has some low ceilings but I didn't consider if my wife could reach the vents. That is a very good point. I'll have to test that out and maybe I'll end up with a remote. That remote would be nice to have when in bed. If it gets really cold the vent could be fully closed from bed
We like to have moving air in the bedroom, we have ceiling fans at home, so a vent that blows in will be a plus.

I likes remotes... problem is trying to remember what they are all for!

I am 6'-2" with long arms and can change light bulbs in a standard fixture at home where we have 8' ceilings without a ladder. My bride is 5'-1"...

Aaron
Old 05-17-2017, 05:32 PM   #9

Virginia
Yep. I have a box of "just in case I remember what this does" and it has a few remotes in it :-) For those remotes where I do know what they do finding them can be an ordeal.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:47 PM   #10
Site Team

North Carolina
My bride did take a label maker and put on them what goes where... Nothing like have 3 televisions that all use the same remote! Crazy thing is, I don't watch much television, not even at home.

Aaron
Old 05-17-2017, 11:27 PM   #11

Virginia
I like the way your wife thinks A label maker would take care of the identification problem. For me the biggest problem is finding remotes left wherever they were last used. If you have an Android phone which supports IR(Infra Red) this app supports a lot of equipment.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...emotect.mobile

My only problem with "Remote CT" is that it does randomly stop but it restarts by simply tapping the app's icon. I've had no problems with it working with my Sharp and Vizio TVs.