Portable surge guard - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #1

British Columbia
Portable surge guard

FYI.
Attached is the photo of the portable surge, over/under voltage protection device. When I was price comparing at one of the RV parts department they said their supplier would not bring it in to Canada as it was not UL listed nor CSA approved. I phoned Camping World..they said they were not sure. I sent an email to TRC requesting clarification on their portable unit and here is their response. The fixed unit is UL listed just not the portables.

"Thank you for contacting TRC.

The 34730 is not UL listed or CSA approved."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	563  

Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #2

Don't know about listings but I can tell you it works great! Saved our electrical system twice now from power surges that would have fried the system without it.

BigBoyjack b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #3

My progressive Industries came in via ups today. Man its a big box. I have not had a CG problem yet, maybe one with low voltage, but just in case I hope this monster box saves the day if and when necessary.
I did see a pretty good looking lock down on Ebay. It is made of metal (homemade) and seems like a much better way of locking down the device from thieves. If interested let me know and I will post the link.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #4

Wyoming
I bought a similar one from Camping World on our trip and love it. It is UL listed. I paid about $100 for it and because I'm a Good Sam member got the lock ($35 over-priced) cover free.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman View Post
My progressive Industries came in via ups today. Man its a big box. I have not had a CG problem yet, maybe one with low voltage, but just in case I hope this monster box saves the day if and when necessary.
I did see a pretty good looking lock down on Ebay. It is made of metal (homemade) and seems like a much better way of locking down the device from thieves. If interested let me know and I will post the link.
I have one of those gadgets and the lock. However, I don't use the lock because there isn't anything to keep the bandit from disconnecting the cable at the rig and the electrical box. Not only do you lose the protector you lose the cable as well.

When I feel the need to lock mine down I chain it tightly around the electrical box's post. Throw a loop in the cable and all is secure, for the most part.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #6

I have the lock but never use it. We rarely camp in areas where theft is a problem. And if my electricity goes off, I check on the regulator first. Plus, we rarely leave camp.
BigBoyjack b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #7

Wyoming
My power cable is integrated in the unit and not removable so the lock works well. I wondered how people with removable cables would secure it and the power cable itself.
I had thought that you could use a chain on the same padlock that is on the cable and go around the pedestal.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:15 PM   #8

British Columbia
Only the hard wired ones are UL listed the portables are not.
I saved over $100.00 bucks canadian shipping and exchange included.. by buying it from Camping World. The cheapest locally was $385.00+tax the most expensive was $460.00 plus tax. The small thing about UL and CSA approval is when there is a related electrical incident the insurance company may asked what approval is the protector. I lost a converter most likely due to dirty power..I hope this unit will save me.

Check the TRC website out for the units that are UL listed.

http://www.trci.net/media/91764/comp...rts_r12-12.pdf

Coops
Canada
Old 07-11-2013, 01:38 AM   #9

Wyoming
I just checked and Coops is right, my portable is not UL rated. Hmmmm....
Old 07-11-2013, 02:16 AM   #10

British Columbia
Wanderer..your the one that got me thinking of buying one when you bought yours..I still ordered the pricey one..I think it's worth it....it's all about balancing the risk..." pay me now or pay me later."

Thanks ....
Canada
Old 07-11-2013, 03:05 AM   #11

I agree Coop is correct that ALL of the portable units are not UL approved. Maybe because it is used outside and not totally waterproof. That is my guess although it will handle rain and other adverse conditions.
The reason I went with Progressive Surge protector is the Lifetime warranty and it has a few more protections that Surgeguard has only a one year warranty.
Coop is again right.. pay me now or later. Sometimes later will ruin your trip. I would hate to be a thousand miles from home and blow a converter board because of faulty pole wiring..
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:46 AM   #12

Illinois
I fried my power converter most likely due to bad power. I just purchased a Progressive Industries hard wired surge/power protector. It's only 6" x 9" so it's a lot smaller than the portable ones. I'm planning on wiring it in tomorrow. I also upgraded my power converter to a progressive dynamics one.
Pullrite Super Glide Hitch
jd4230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:36 PM   #13

Virginia
On sale ppl motor homes 299.49 right now
Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:59 PM   #14

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboy View Post
On sale ppl motor homes 299.49 right now
Where?
Old 03-26-2014, 10:22 PM   #15

Virginia
Portable Power Surge Protectors - Save Your Electronics - PPL Motor Homes
Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:48 PM   #16

British Columbia
I have a portable PI surge protector. I haven't experienced any power or voltage problems yet, but I think that it is good insurance. I know someone who had 240 Volt that damaged their new fifth wheel.
I recently posted some information and photo of how I changed the security tab to a shackle. It is posted on IRV2 forum under Product Evaluations, Surge Guard. Hopefully you might find it useful.
I'm not promoting another forum, but I am sure many of you also follow some of the other RV forums.
Cheers, Gary