Onan Auto Start - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2014, 01:52 AM   #1

California
Question Onan Auto Start

Hello everyone. I just purchased a new voltage. I'm having the dealer install an inverter. My question is, has anyone used the onan auto start? I love the concept of it. It seems cheaper than solar. If you have used it, is it worth getting the one with the remote? Have you had any issues with it? Any comments or suggestions are appreciated!

Jason

Jwoody205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:50 AM   #2

Tennessee
I do not have an inverter. But I do like the auto start system. I had an auto start on my Blue Bird Wanderlodge when the batteries dropped below 11.5 volts the gen would start bring them up and auto shut down. Nice feature. What are you planning to run on your inverter and how many batteries to justify the auto system?

Old 05-03-2014, 03:23 AM   #3

California
I plan on running the four TVs and one DVD player. Not at once obviously. But I have a 5 year old that has to watch her princess movies for a long time. . Not to mention i have dish so we can watch football and whatever else. Plus I'm thinking of having one of the kitchen outlets wired as well. I don't have solar so I don't want to worry about making sure the charge is good all the time. This seems like it would really help. Did you do the remote version? If not what did you use? I will have 4 six volts as well.
Jwoody205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:44 AM   #4

Tennessee
Onan has their own system, the energy command. I should, but I dont remember what was on my Blue Bird... only owned it 8 years . It had a Kabota 15kw genny! There are several different systems that require alterations in wiring as you know. Example, if ac not available will start, or dc volts to low will activate auto start. It all depends on what you want. I dont remember if i had a remote? I did have a panel that allowed me to set the parameters if that's what you mean..
Old 05-03-2014, 04:07 PM   #5

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwoody205 View Post
Hello everyone. I just purchased a new voltage. I'm having the dealer install an inverter. My question is, has anyone used the onan auto start? I love the concept of it. It seems cheaper than solar. If you have used it, is it worth getting the one with the remote? Have you had any issues with it? Any comments or suggestions are appreciated!

Jason
First congrats on the new trailer. Which Voltage model did you purchase? Did you purchase from Richardsons? I have an inverter installed in my 3895 with 4 six volt batteries, but it does not have the auto start.

Tags
auto start, inverter usage, onan