Onan 5500 surging - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2014, 03:20 PM   #1

Texas
Onan 5500 surging

Which fuel additive, if any, should I run thru my carb to help with the surging of my generator. I think I remember hearing OR seeing that NO additive is recommended. Need input from the masses. Thanks.

txroadrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:03 PM   #2

Arizona
I don't know that this will help with surging. But after researching Fuel Stabilizers this one came out on top. Read about it and decide for yourself.

PRI Fuel Stabilizer- For Gasoline 32oz - - Amazon.com

arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:05 PM   #3

British Columbia
I have never had any luck with any of those snake oil treatments.

It's a crap shoot, but if you think the surging is due to a dirty carb, you can try carb cleaner additive to a tank of gas and one of the spray cans down the throat. There is also a product that you can spray through the fuel line with the engine running, it will smoke and sputter, but that's normal.

If that doesn't do the job it will need a tear down and soak/cleaning.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:57 PM   #4

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
I have never had any luck with any of those snake oil treatments.
I truly believe this is a good product. It has strong claims and many happy users.

I have had luck stopping the surging on a Honda generator. Remove the air filter, manually increase the throttle if possible. Then place the palm of your hand over the carburetor and remove quickly before it dies. Repeat this until hopefully the surging stops.

Above poster mentioned a complete rebuild of the carburetor but from what I was told when the dealer replaced my carburetor when my unit was new. Is that they are throw away carburetors and not rebuild-able. I don't know if that is true however with the information coming from an RV dealer.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:11 AM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
I truly believe this is a good product. It has strong claims and many happy users.

I have had luck stopping the surging on a Honda generator. Remove the air filter, manually increase the throttle if possible. Then place the palm of your hand over the carburetor and remove quickly before it dies. Repeat this until hopefully the surging stops.

Above poster mentioned a complete rebuild of the carburetor but from what I was told when the dealer replaced my carburetor when my unit was new. Is that they are throw away carburetors and not rebuild-able. I don't know if that is true however with the information coming from an RV dealer.
Arlan, You very well my be right about it being a throw away carb in this case, so it would defininately be worth investing a few dollars in some of the cleaners. That's the way of the world these days, just throw it away and buy a new one, it's getting to the point that it costs more to rebuild vs replace.

An example just replaced a perfectly good dishwasher, the racks where rusting, $400 for new racks, $399 for a new dishwasher.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:36 AM   #6

Louisiana
I have used SeaFoam in all of my small and large carbureted and fuel injected engines with great success. It has cleaned up stale gas in my boat, removed water in the gas from my lawn mower, and cleaned the carbs several times in my ATVs, and fuel injectors in my SeaDoo. Snake oil or not, I have seen concrete results using it.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:32 AM   #7

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
I have used SeaFoam in all of my small and large carbureted and fuel injected engines with great success. It has cleaned up stale gas in my boat, removed water in the gas from my lawn mower, and cleaned the carbs several times in my ATVs, and fuel injectors in my SeaDoo. Snake oil or not, I have seen concrete results using it.
I agree, seafoam... pretty good stuff. Try it. What can it hurt?
Old 09-01-2014, 11:50 AM   #8

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper2b View Post
I agree, seafoam... pretty good stuff. Try it. What can it hurt?
Used it for years in all things Gas and Diesel!!

2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
nmroper is offline   Reply With Quote