No towing lights - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2015, 07:09 PM   #1

Idaho
No towing lights

I just bought this 1995 260 Classic. None of the exterior towing lights work. The 7 pin plug is pretty corroded as are most of the light sockets and wiring from having no covers. Is there any common area that the wiring for the lights has problems?

zytek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:03 PM   #2

Oklahoma
I think you pretty much identified your problem area. Corrosion is probably the culprit, work there first.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:49 PM   #3

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by zytek_fan View Post
I just bought this 1995 260 Classic. None of the exterior towing lights work. The 7 pin plug is pretty corroded as are most of the light sockets and wiring from having no covers. Is there any common area that the wiring for the lights has problems?
This might help:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-way diagram.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	2060  
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:02 AM   #4

Tennessee
Quote:
Check the corroded areas. On my old camper a few wires had pulled out inside the trailer connector, easy fix. If you have enough cord length, i'd probably just buy a new connector, cut it back a little and rewire it if the corrosion is bad.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:33 AM   #5

Idaho
Does anyone else's have a ton of scotch locks for wiring connectors on their lights and brakes?
Old 04-21-2015, 01:42 AM   #6

Oklahoma
Quote:
Does anyone else's have a ton of scotch locks for wiring connectors on their lights and brakes?
1/2 ton at least. I taped all of mine when I connected the LED turn/brake assembly.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:44 AM   #7

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
1/2 ton at least. I taped all of mine when I connected the LED turn/brake assembly.
I expected them on the lights, but not on the trailer brakes.

I'll be working underneath on wirewheeling all the rust on the frame and painting, so I'll take some time to replace the scotch locks.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:45 AM   #8

South Carolina
Quote:
I'm sure some do, but it's not good. In a perfect world, it should be solid copper from the plug to the destination socket, connection, whatever. Each connection is an open invitation to corrosion. If you must splice, get a good, strong physical connection, encased in solder, wrapped with shrink wrap, then taped, and finally enclosed in a protective hose or conduit.
If you do terminate a wire with a crimp-connect, solder it anyway, and leave enough wire for subsequent replacements. An example would be a ring terminal at the battery post.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:50 AM   #9

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
I'm sure some do, but it's not good. In a perfect world, it should be solid copper from the plug to the destination socket, connection, whatever. Each connection is an open invitation to corrosion. If you must splice, get a good, strong physical connection, encased in solder, wrapped with shrink wrap, then taped, and finally enclosed in a protective hose or conduit.
If you do terminate a wire with a crimp-connect, solder it anyway, and leave enough wire for subsequent replacements. An example would be a ring terminal at the battery post.
Having been using Deutsch connectors at work (I'm a Caterpillar service technician) I would really like to use those to replace all the scotch locks.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:26 AM   #10

Florida
I am a huge fan of duraseal butt splices. after you splice your wires, take a heat gun and heat it just like heat shrink, except these splices will make an extremelyy tight enviormental seal around the wire into the splice.

splices

The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote