No power to water pump - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2019, 12:29 PM   #1

Texas
No power to water pump

Hello all,
I have an 05 Dutchmen and recently my water pump quit working. I assumed the pump was bad and replaced it with a new one. The new pump won’t work either.
My water tank is full, I have a new battery, and the fuse is good. I separated the wires at the pump and turned switch on and no dc voltage. I even replaced the 12v switch and still no voltage. I’m stumped on this one and need help.

Thank you

Flanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:35 PM   #2

Texas
12V power at the switch? Unfortunately this could become a trace the wiring exercise to find the issue.

Old 11-04-2019, 02:59 PM   #3

Wisconsin
I agree. Corroded or broken connection? Pull the switch and look for voltage on input side. That will tell you which way to go.
Loose connection on fuse panel?
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:54 PM   #4

Texas
Will do and thank you.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:33 PM   #5

New York
Also have you run a seperate jumper test line from where you have power to the pump. See if it goes on. I just had this problem with a friend. He put a new pump in. He had power to the input of the switch and output side. I ran a jumper from the output side to the pump and it worked. Also check your ground. Then you'll know if it's the wire or connector. From the output side of the switch. I just ran a seperate line to the pump taped both sides of the old wire off. Since the fuse was OK on the input side of the switch. I didn't put a new inline fuse into the circuit on the output side.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:59 PM   #6

Texas
Thank you for this great idea. I will try this on Friday.

Flanman
Old 11-19-2019, 09:15 PM   #7

Texas
update to non working water pump.

Hello again, here is an update on my non working water pump. I recently verified that there is 12v to the pump. The tank is full, and I have a new battery. The pump still does not work. I even traced the lines all the way from the pump to the junction box on front of trailer and inspected and looked at battery connections. All seems in good order. Any other suggestions out there, I am still completely stumped on this frustrating pump issue.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:27 PM   #8

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanman View Post
Hello again, here is an update on my non working water pump. I recently verified that there is 12v to the pump. The tank is full, and I have a new battery. The pump still does not work. I even traced the lines all the way from the pump to the junction box on front of trailer and inspected and looked at battery connections. All seems in good order. Any other suggestions out there, I am still completely stumped on this frustrating pump issue.

You very well may have a bad pressure switch on the front of the pump. Something might be holding it open keeping the pump from running. If you have a VOM it's easy to see if power is going to the motor on the 'out' side of the switch. Or you can by pass the switch and connect power to see if the motor operates.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:46 AM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanman View Post

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:29 PM   #10

Massachusetts
possible bad ground ??
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 03:54 PM   #11

Texas
Thank you for your response. I will be working on camper on 11/30, and will post updates.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:32 PM   #12

Texas
Hello everyone, just wanted to update all who commented on my water pump issue. Turns out the ground wire was not grounded. Had to run a new ground wire, and pump works perfectly. Thanks to all who responded.

Tags
no voltage to water pump