No power? Master switch/disconnect? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2014, 03:36 AM   #1

Minnesota
No power? Master switch/disconnect?

I have a 2013 Aspen Trail 3125. I purchased it in the spring of last year, and paid someone to winterize it this year. When I went to check on the trailer, there was no power DC in the rig. Not even the tongue jack would work. Is there a master battery disconnect that I'm not aware of, somewhere on this rig?

Graunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:27 PM   #2

New York
Did you charge the battery and try connecting it to the trailer?

Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:40 PM   #3

Minnesota
I am bringing a fresh battery out there today, and will plug that in. Hoping that there is a switch somewhere.

Being that I just bought the dang thing I'd hope that the battery it came with is still good.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:42 PM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
I would guess dead battery. There are several things that draw on the battery unless it has been completely disconnected. LP detector is one that comes to mind.

I would check the battery first, possibly swap in a fully charged battery if possible. If you know how to use a voltmeter you can get a quick read too.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:45 PM   #5

Minnesota
Ok, thanks guys. I'll bring out the fresh battery today, and see where that gets me.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:52 PM   #6

New York
Don't forget to let us know hat happened Graunke!
I checked a few you tube videos but non showed the exterior of the trailer.....but the interior sure does look like a nice floor plan!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:50 PM   #7

Minnesota
I brought out the new battery, and everything worked as it was supposed to.

On a somewhat interesting note, the plastic battery container was filled with ice. Earlier this year, it was filled with water, and I emptied it, but there must have been more since then. I couldn't get the battery out, because it was surrounded and frozen. Which explains the dead battery.

I'm going to take a look at the plastic container, and figure out why it is filling with rainwater. Something is wrong there in the design.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:09 PM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graunke View Post
I brought out the new battery, and everything worked as it was supposed to.

On a somewhat interesting note, the plastic battery container was filled with ice. Earlier this year, it was filled with water, and I emptied it, but there must have been more since then. I couldn't get the battery out, because it was surrounded and frozen. Which explains the dead battery.

I'm going to take a look at the plastic container, and figure out why it is filling with rainwater. Something is wrong there in the design.
I agree shouldn't be filling with water. At the very least I would drill a couple of holes in the bottom.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:15 AM   #9

Indiana
Before I built my diamond plate battery compartment I too had problems with the battery boxes filling with water. My plastic boxes had vents in the top that had a plastic plug/cover thing in them (two per box). The rain water from the front of the trailer ran down hit the trim piece and landed right on those boxes then ran into them. I put a dab of silicone on the underside of the lids to seal up those vents from the rain and all was better, no more water.

PS: I figured that the holes where the cables enter the (back and side openings) lids were vent enough to let out any gas build up that the battery may have created.

2013 Denali 311 bhs pos
Love the trailer, hate the dealer and manufacturer.
memgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:24 AM   #10

Alabama
I had the same problem with my previous TT. I drilled a quarter inch hole in the bottom of my battery box at each corner. Prevented the water from pooling in the box regardless of level (storage area is anything but!).

2013 Voltage 3895
2011 Ford F-350 DRW w/ Firestone airbags and heavy duty compressor, Edge Insight CTS, Curt Q24
Moogal78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:27 PM   #11

Florida
My new Denali had no disconnect. And if you store it without turning off the 12 volt (and you have no 120 volt plugged in) the battery will drain in 10 days or less. I've had 2 new Denalis, 2012 and 2014, neither came with a disconnect. They drain because of the draw from the gas monitors and stereo system.

GGreGG is offline   Reply With Quote