New Kodiak-Slide is it in or not?? - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-19-2017, 08:09 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
ArmyVeteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Aiken
Posts: 600
South Carolina
New Kodiak-Slide is it in or not??

Brand New Kodiak 243 BHSL. With dinette slide. Have only operated the slide once and I am looking at the lower right side and see that the "fenders" attached to the slide do not line up with the "fender" on the body. Is this a problem? The seal all around the perimeter seems reasonable.


Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171119_152112504[1].jpg
Views:	84
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	4530

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171119_152107180[1].jpg
Views:	81
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	4531

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bill
__________________

ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:18 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,847
Oklahoma
Is the seal on that side compressed?
How about a pic of the seal as it goes up the body?
__________________

__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:32 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
ArmyVeteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Aiken
Posts: 600
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Is the seal on that side compressed?
How about a pic of the seal as it goes up the body?
The seals all around appeared normal. I worked my finger around and seems to be sealed. Being a rookie that may be a bad assumption on my part. It is dark now. I will examine again in morning and get more pictures.

Thanks for the reply. CYA tomorrow.

Bill
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:38 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,847
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
The seals all around appeared normal. I worked my finger around and seems to be sealed. Being a rookie that may be a bad assumption on my part. It is dark now. I will examine again in morning and get more pictures.

Thanks for the reply. CYA tomorrow.

Bill
What you might try, make sure the RV is LEVEL and then run the slide out and hold the button for 10 more seconds. Bring it back in and hold the button again for 10 seconds. This action supposedly syncs the motors again.
We don't want to get into the blind installers at the factory so give that a go.

If doing the resync thing doesn't make those parts match up I'd be back at the dealer as soon as possible.
__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:54 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
wildwest450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sparta
Posts: 1,710
Tennessee
100% normal, that's exactly how mine looks. There's no way the fenders can line up as one is attached to the camper body and one is attached to the slide which sits further out, even when fully closed.
__________________
2014 Aerolite 213 RBSL
2016 Chevrolet Colorado
wildwest450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:12 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,847
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
100% normal, that's exactly how mine looks. There's no way the fenders can line up as one is attached to the camper body and one is attached to the slide which sits further out, even when fully closed.
If that's the way it is then I'd say it's another Dutchman engineering marvel.
__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:52 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
wildwest450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sparta
Posts: 1,710
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
If that's the way it is then I'd say it's another Dutchman engineering marvel.
They probably could have extended the fender on the slideout a little so it doesn't leave that big gap, but it's only cosmetic.
__________________
2014 Aerolite 213 RBSL
2016 Chevrolet Colorado
wildwest450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:54 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,847
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
They probably could have extended the fender on the slideout a little so it doesn't leave that big gap, but it's only cosmetic.
Yep, a little over lap would have made it look finished or at least a cap of some sort to close the gap.
__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:00 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
ArmyVeteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Aiken
Posts: 600
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
What you might try, make sure the RV is LEVEL and then run the slide out and hold the button for 10 more seconds. Bring it back in and hold the button again for 10 seconds. This action supposedly syncs the motors again.
We don't want to get into the blind installers at the factory so give that a go.

If doing the resync thing doesn't make those parts match up I'd be back at the dealer as soon as possible.
Ok, syncing motors. Never saw that before. Thanks
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:04 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
ArmyVeteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Aiken
Posts: 600
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
100% normal, that's exactly how mine looks. There's no way the fenders can line up as one is attached to the camper body and one is attached to the slide which sits further out, even when fully closed.
Thanks, I wish I remembered if that is how it look on the dealer lot.....ughh.

What you are saying does make sense. Silly design flaw for sure.

Thanks
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:05 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
ArmyVeteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Aiken
Posts: 600
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
If that's the way it is then I'd say it's another Dutchman engineering marvel.
That is know as a "FEATURE"
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:19 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Thom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Youngstown
Posts: 643
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
That is know as a "FEATURE"
And carries a "slight" upcharge.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:43 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tampa
Posts: 1,852
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
Brand New Kodiak 243 BHSL. With dinette slide. Have only operated the slide once and I am looking at the lower right side and see that the "fenders" attached to the slide do not line up with the "fender" on the body. Is this a problem? The seal all around the perimeter seems reasonable.


Attachment 4530

Attachment 4531

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bill
looks to me that the slide is pushing against the other panel. I had the issue with mine and I pulled the skirting out a bit and then it sort of lined up.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:21 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,847
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
Ok, syncing motors. Never saw that before. Thanks
I'm not sure the practice applies to your RV. The big gear driven slides are treated this way.
__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:40 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
ArmyVeteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Aiken
Posts: 600
South Carolina
Thanks

Everyone for your input!

I am going to send more pictures in a bit.
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:18 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
ArmyVeteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Aiken
Posts: 600
South Carolina
Pictures and observations

And I can tell now that the top of the slide on the sides is more tightly closed that at the bottom. Not enough to make up the difference at the fenders. Probably no more than a half inch difference.

I did the 10 second reset, no change. I was looking at you-tube videos and there are several variations on the reset procedure. Trying to figure out which applies to my trailer.

Here are the pictures. The left side picture is not very good. But spacing is similar to the right side. As best as I can tell the seals are making contact. But not as good on bottom both sides as on the top. I would think at highway speeds and in the rain, water would make its way in. But again, I am a rookie.

With the slide in, I was peeking at the mechanism and it seems a tightening of the "lower" cable would be in order.

Any more thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated/

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171120_123401999.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	4533   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171120_123450419.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	4534   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171120_123423954.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	4535  
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:27 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,847
Oklahoma
When I picked up my 3800 in Colorado I noticed the bottom of the slide wasn't plumb with the outside wall. I mentioned it to the dealer and his response was, '9 out of 10 of them are like that'. I told him to get me number 10 or fix mine.

If going back to the dealer is not out of the question I'd drag it back there. By doing this will you have started a documentation trail in the event this is an actual problem in the future.

It's either maladjusted or a piss poor engineering design.
__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:30 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tampa
Posts: 1,852
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
And I can tell now that the top of the slide on the sides is more tightly closed that at the bottom. Not enough to make up the difference at the fenders. Probably no more than a half inch difference.

I did the 10 second reset, no change. I was looking at you-tube videos and there are several variations on the reset procedure. Trying to figure out which applies to my trailer.

Here are the pictures. The left side picture is not very good. But spacing is similar to the right side. As best as I can tell the seals are making contact. But not as good on bottom both sides as on the top. I would think at highway speeds and in the rain, water would make its way in. But again, I am a rookie.

With the slide in, I was peeking at the mechanism and it seems a tightening of the "lower" cable would be in order.

Any more thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated/

Bill
Looks crooked to me. What mechanism do you have for your slides?
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:37 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
ArmyVeteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Aiken
Posts: 600
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
When I picked up my 3800 in Colorado I noticed the bottom of the slide wasn't plumb with the outside wall. I mentioned it to the dealer and his response was, '9 out of 10 of them are like that'. I told him to get me number 10 or fix mine.

If going back to the dealer is not out of the question I'd drag it back there. By doing this will you have started a documentation trail in the event this is an actual problem in the future.

It's either maladjusted or a piss poor engineering design.
I hear you. I will start the process. The dealer is two hundred miles away. So we need to work with a local outfit.

As an aside, I called Dutchman before making the purchase. Asking about warranty work in our area. Dutchman customer service said:
Find any local dealer or repair shop. Get an estimate. And they will take care of it that way. No need to go to a Dutchman Authorized dealer.

I am going to look at more you tube videos and such. I want to understand the problem as much as possible.

Thanks again.

Bill
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:47 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
ArmyVeteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Aiken
Posts: 600
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Looks crooked to me. What mechanism do you have for your slides?
I am not sure what the proper term is for the mechanics. But it utilizes cables and a 12 volt DC motor.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
Bill
__________________

ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Dutchmen RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×