MaxxFan wiring - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2015, 04:09 AM   #1

Colorado
MaxxFan wiring

Hi all, I have a Kodiak 240BHSL and I just had a Maxxair fan installed in the bathroom. The installer used the existing wires for the fan that were in there but unfortunately that wiring is controlled by the switch on the wall. Meaning I can not use that switch for the ceiling light anymore. Normally this would be a minor problem and simply needing to learn a new habit turning on the light at the ceiling instead of the switch, however with a 9 year old who can not reach the ceiling switch this is a problem and I thought I had a solution.
I suggested to the tech that we tap into the wire leading up to the wall switch (before the switch) and run constant power up to the fan unit. It seemed to me a pretty simple solution and we would not even have to figure out a way to fish new wire, just follow the existing wires with the new. He was pretty dismissive of this suggestion when I made it.
So, I still don't understand why this couldn't work. Can someone let me know if this would/would not work and why if not?
I'm prepared to do it myself if it's a safe and effective solution.
Thank You,
Randy

rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:20 AM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Yes it will work, that is how I run mine. Tech was being lazy. FWIW several brands of trailers I have had in the past (not Dutchmen) actually had a hot wire near where the vent was installed just in case.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:29 PM   #3

Missouri
Didn't your bathroom vent have the little fan already installed? I would have thought you could have used the existing power for that. It 12VDC right? If not, from what you are saying I also agree with Wahoonc and you should be OK.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:09 PM   #4

Colorado
Yes, the there was a small fan unit in there however it was powered by the wall switch so I could turn the wall switch on and both the bathroom light and the fan would come on. I could then shut each off independently at their switch if I wanted.
So currently I need to leave that wall switch on all the time to run the fan and use the light switch on the ceiling.
Thank you WahooNC, I suspected it would work fine, especially as I have LED in the light so a low draw overall on the circuit.
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote