Load management - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2015, 10:29 AM   #1

Florida
Load management

Is the digital read out that shows current draw suppse to work on 50 amp shore power? Just got my 3950 back from dealer after 3 months and plugged it in and noticed that the digital display isnt showing anything. All of the panel LEDs showing what is operating work, just no digital readout. Since my unit has been in shop for repairs 4 1/2 months out of the 6 I have owned it, I can't remember if it ever displayed anything. The few times I have exercised my genset I don't think I have ever checked the display.

Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:26 PM   #2

Maryland
No, I had to digging on this before...their manual states that when on 50 amp, the assumption is that there is never a need to shed a load and that all the power needed is always available. It will operate on the genset, once running, it will wait the requisite two minutes, then add loads back.

Do remember that if you have shed loads, you will get an E7 error on your thermostat for the rear AC, because it is a hard disconnect of the 120v power, unlike the other two AC units.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:02 PM   #3

Florida
Thanks Cale!
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:32 AM   #4

Arizona
Cale- can you help me.
I seem to be having a LMS issue. When I turn in the gen when dry camping the load management system comes up (this is before turning anything on: a/c's) then it clicks off the W/H, the rr a/c, then mid a/c, then fr a/c and the whole load management system shuts off. They it comes right back on and then repeats clicking everything off one by one with with voltage of only 8 amps. I also get a E7 code on my rear a/c when i turn them on. Now what I did was check all my breakers and one by one turned them back on, what I found is if I keep the W/H and 3rd AC breaker off the load management system shuts off but everything else works, front and mid a/c, Mircowave etc, I used propane for frig and water heater. I don't get it, checked wiring everything looks correct and tightened. Any ideas?
Thanks
Sean
AzVoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:56 AM   #5

Maryland
The E7 code is normal when the LMS is operating in a shutoff scenario (just means there is no power).

Now to your other problem, if you are shutting off breakers and the LMS functions, it sounds as if there is a short to ground in one of those circuits. My guess is the water heater element is hosed...

When you say LMS shuts off, but still works, are you referring to the display? It does go to sleep, just need to wake it wished the push of a button.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:46 PM   #6

Arizona
Thanks for the reply Cale-
I got home from our trip yesterday, plugged into 30amp, the 3rd a/c unit worked and the water heater worked on electric. So the issue seems to be only when I run the generator. When the generator is on (running refrig with propane) dry camping, the load management turns on the light for the gen is on and the 4 lights for w/h, a/c rr, a/c FRT, A/c mid are on, before I even turn on the A/c units or run anything other than maybe a light switch, the system starts cycling, what I mean my that is one by one the 4 lights w/h, a/c .... turn off then the gen light turns off and the whole load management system turns off, 1-2 seconds later all the lights turn back on and then cycle back off. Once I turned the w/h and the 3rd AC breaker off, the load management system turns off meaning no lights come on the system( system is essentially off) but I am able to turn on the mid and front a/c units, use the propane via gas and every thing else works. I'll send you a private message and if you want me to shut your cell # to me I will send you a video of what happens.so basically if I am connect to shore power everything works fine with the load management system, it is only with the generator which makes me believe it is the transfer system.
AzVoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:29 PM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
I am shooting in the dark here, I am not familiar with the specific system. However it sounds like there may be a high resistance in the generator side of things, possibly the transfer switch itself or the wiring leading to or from it. I would take a close look at any and all connections and see if anything is loose or corroded. Even an undersized ground could cause issues.

Is this a new problem or has it been going on since day one?

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:28 PM   #8

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I am shooting in the dark here, I am not familiar with the specific system. However it sounds like there may be a high resistance in the generator side of things, possibly the transfer switch itself or the wiring leading to or from it. I would take a close look at any and all connections and see if anything is loose or corroded. Even an undersized ground could cause issues.

Is this a new problem or has it been going on since day one?

Aaron
This is a brand new trailer so I guess day 1 would be the answer. When I did my PDI. I was outside and just turned on the generator from the generator itself because on 50 amp everything works all theee A/c, etc so I wasn't inside to notice this wild happen I was more concerned with looking over the generator itself. First time I turned on the generator without being connected to shore power getting ready to go dry camping, this issue hits. I checked the generator connection at the transfer, but haven't checked the connections at the generator because the generator will still run 2 a/c's, microwave/convection oven, tv's, hair dryer etc, so I know it can produce power to both sides of the main.