Inverter Generators - Honda vs. Generac - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2017, 09:45 PM   #1

Oregon
Inverter Generators - Honda vs. Generac

I'm in the market for a inverter generator to power AC, fridge and other appliances while recreational dry camping.

The Generac (iq2000,$799) goes toe to toe against the Honda (eu2000i,$1279) on paper but how does is stack up in the real world.

Output and warranties are the same for both units. Any input or insight is appreciated.

Bend Aerolite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:04 AM   #2

New Jersey
I have the Honda, it's as reliable as a rock, is so quiet you can hold a normal conversation within a few feet of it, and it sips fuel. Quality of power that comes out of it seems clean & stable. No personal experience with the Generac.

Amazon has the Honda for $999, and site below for $949, with free shipping.
Electric Generator Depot - Honda EU2000i Super Quiet Light Weight Inverter 2000W 120v Fuel Efficient Generator with Parallel Capability and Oil Alert

Old 03-07-2017, 01:07 AM   #3

South Carolina
Check other threads on this subject. Most will say 2000 Watts in an inverter without any surge capacity will not handle an AC, and you'll end up buying a second one to run in parallel.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:27 AM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
I would steer clear of Generac. I have not been impressed with them. We have several that some idiot at work bought and they have major issues. They leak oil from the engine cases and it cannot be easily fixed. I would go with Honda, Yamaha or Champion.

Also as Marty pointed out 2,000 watts isn't going to run your AC unit. You need to add up everything you plan to run at the same time, don't forget the converter will suck down power when topping up the batteries. I would at minimum go with either a 3,100 watt single or double up on your 2,000 watt ones. I used to use two Honda 2,000 watt in parallel. I could use a single one when I didn't need AC, or use both when I did.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:08 PM   #5

Montana
There's a soft start kit you can install on your air conditioner that is claimed to allow a 2000 watt generator reliably run a 13.5 kBtu air conditioner.
Micro-Air - Products
My research into the product claims leads me to believe that this technology does indeed work. I've ordered one and will install later this spring so I can hopefully run the air conditioner reliably when it is super hot and/or we are at high elevation with our Yamaha 2400.
When dry camping, use your fridge on propane. I guess it doesn't hurt anything to let it switch to electric when you're plugged into the generator, but you're not saving any resources by doing it this way.
Yamaha and Honda have led this corner of the generator market for a long time. I don't have experience with other brands and they may work just fine. But you often get what you pay for.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:05 PM   #6

Arkansas
The Honda will run everything on that camper but the ac, you will need 2 in parred for the ac , unless u installed a micro start .
Buddy has it installed and 1 Honda will run it all , but not the micro wave

Sent from a place I no not where

meterman is offline   Reply With Quote