inverter clicking and more - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2017, 02:31 AM   #1

Wisconsin
inverter clicking and more

ok i tried searching for inverter clicking but i'm not finding any useful answers... let me give you some background:

bought this trailer in wi and pulled it out to nevada, no electrical problems at all on the way or even for a few weeks after we got here. then the inverter/breaker thing starts making this clicking noise. unplugged shore power and no 12v lights or anything working. checked/replaced battery... no change. found an auto resetting 40 amp fuse up by the battery box that was shot... replaced it... now it is clicking on and off and the inverter is still clicking at times. then it mysteriously stopped for an hour. we got up to walk around in the trailer and it started as soon as we took a few steps. my only assumption now is that there is some kind of short between the battery and the inverter/breaker box. i disconnected the red wire to the battery at the inverter itself and the problem is gone for now.. but all i've got is shore power. anyone have an actual wire routing diagram for this trailer in my sig? is there an easy way to get to these wires?

edit i dont see that my trailer specs i put in to register are showing up so here they are:
1996 FL DSL dutchmen classic bumper pull.

dillrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:17 AM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Welcome to the forums!

Sounds like the converter might be going bad? Which one do you have?

Wiring diagrams don't appear to exist for too many Dutchmen products. So I suspect you are own your own. I had to make one up for my Coleman.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:36 PM   #3

South Carolina
The clicking noise sounds like an auto-resetting circuit breaker. It trips, waits a couple of seconds, then tries to reset, only to trip again. With one clicking in the converter (inverter is something else), and one by the battery shot, it's fairly certain your 12V+ line between the battery and converter is grounded. As Aaron said, check out your converter, find out what make/model it is. Look at the basic wiring, it could be some kind of frayed wire, but most likely is a failed converter. Once you have disconnected the converter, put the big red wire up in a safe place, and reconnect the battery. Now go back into the TT, and if you have 12V+ at the red wire, then your wire and battery are good. Disconnect the battery, replace the converter, and reconnect the battery.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:39 AM   #4

Nevada
If it sounds like chirping it is a bridge rectifier on your inverter.
The sound Is the voltage going to ground after the capacitor for the bridge rectifier.
Time to replace the inverter.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote