How a generator works - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2019, 12:38 PM   #1

Ohio
How a generator works

There have been several questions myself and others have answered regarding generators. I found this article and would highly suggest it as reading material for a better understanding of generators.

https://www.chainsawjournal.com/how-...enerator-work/

2015 Voltage 3605
KN5DX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:43 PM   #2

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kn5dx View Post
there have been several questions myself and others have answered regarding generators. I found this article and would highly suggest it as reading material for a better understanding of generators.

https://www.chainsawjournal.com/how-...enerator-work/

qsl................

Old 08-10-2019, 06:50 PM   #3

California
Now I remember, KN5DX is a HAM radio operator. That's why he is also so knowable. I didn't see any mention of a square sign wave that some inverters use. I'm still think about the ground on our RV's. If the tires are dry you should be able to grab the hot lead and be isolated from shock, I'm talking outside using extension cord. I think using an extension chord or running power to house is the same must have proper connections ground and neutral etc. I've lost many friends working as a lineman. Local 1249 I've also lost friends on 480 volts (Local 569), they where killed when a panel in a high-rise exploded, they died from the burns not electrocution. I've lost a couple friends on 120 volts. More people are killed by 110 volts than the other voltages. Yes, its because its what most people mess with, people tell me all the time " It's only 110".
larrypride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:13 PM   #4

Florida
Arc Flash is the number one killer and most folks that are electrically oriented are not properly trained,.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 03:31 PM   #5

California
When I was an apprentice I shorted

I shorted a 30amp 240 volt circuit on purpose. Trying to locate the breaker. Wow what a mistake that was, blew up those Kline players liquid molten metal burnt my hands, wasn’t very pretty. I can only imagine what 50amps could do. Then there is another scenario that’s even more dangerous. We could go on about AIC and what could happen if breaker failed and didn’t trip.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:10 PM   #6

Florida
When I teach Bonding and Grounding courses, I try to impress on the students that it could only take a very slight amount of current to kill you. Breakers won't trip immediately, they can take some time to work. GFCI and ARC FAULT breakers are much faster but not suited for computer room applications. We use Precision Breakers for those environments and they trip way slower.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:53 PM   #7

California
I'm not sure what a precision breaker is?
Old 08-17-2019, 07:40 PM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
I "cat herd" a bunch of industrial roofers. I worry more about electrical than anything else. We max out at 50 amps / 240 volts but on a wet roof with bad line insulation, it can get real ugly real quick. I have worked with electricians and can and do work on single phase up to 480 and have a working knowledge of 3 phase. I ALWAYS follow the NFPA 70E guidelines. When I flip the breaker at the campground I always stand to one side. Years ago I had a 20 amp blow out of the panel.

Good article on the generators BTW.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:04 PM   #9

Ohio
Larrypride thanks for compliment.

Arc Flash is very serious. We were doing major repairs after a severe storm. After complete rebuild of this one primary cross-arm (3 phase, 14,400 volts), we called the Foreman over for the hot switching. By chance I was selected as the groundman. They switched on A & B phase no problem. When they threw the cutout for C, HUGE explosion (fireball size of car). The hot stick shot up and out of Foremans hand into fireball expanding and covering the bucket. The cross-arm equipment exploded (think ceramic shrapnel). I'm trying to crawl under F-250. I watched the fireball travel up the pole then bouncing between overhead line westward for half mile. This tripped out the 115 kva substation. Thanks to training, PPE and bit of luck no injuries. Flame retardant clothes, safety glasses,hard hats, etc. The Foreman and other Journeyman had managed to drop into bucket before fireball covered it.
2015 Voltage 3605
KN5DX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:32 PM   #10

Florida
A lot of guys and gals object to wearing the proper clothing, having the proper gloves on and face shields here in Florida (I can sort of understand). I've seen folks working on the prison electricals with NO protection at all. Arc Flash training is given free by some of our suppliers and it's a mandatory thing for electricians. We even offered the training to folks working in the auto industry for working on those new fangled cars that have 10 kva in batteries in the trunk.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:40 PM   #11
Site Team

North Carolina
On a lighter note... What are two things you never want in a switchyard?

A lineman or a squirrel.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:12 PM   #12

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I "cat herd" a bunch of industrial roofers. I worry more about electrical than anything else. We max out at 50 amps / 240 volts but on a wet roof with bad line insulation, it can get real ugly real quick. I have worked with electricians and can and do work on single phase up to 480 and have a working knowledge of 3 phase. I ALWAYS follow the NFPA 70E guidelines. When I flip the breaker at the campground I always stand to one side. Years ago I had a 20 amp blow out of the panel.

Good article on the generators BTW.

Aaron

Stand to one side and use your non-dominant hand!
Old 08-19-2019, 01:22 PM   #13

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamW View Post
Stand to one side and use your non-dominant hand!
LOL, In case you loose it...