Grounding a generator? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2018, 06:38 PM   #1

Ontario
Grounding a generator?

I was reading the owners manual for my new Firman 3300i invertor generator and it recommends that I ground it with a copper wire and stake. Does anyone else that uses a generator do this? This is my first time using one with my trailer.

Adair1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:00 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adair1965 View Post
I was reading the owners manual for my new Firman 3300i invertor generator and it recommends that I ground it with a copper wire and stake. Does anyone else that uses a generator do this? This is my first time using one with my trailer.
Most of the generators I've seen (all brands), have a grounding lug but I can say I've never seen one grounded to earth.
The grounding issue is mostly manufacture CYA I think. The Onans in our RVs aren't grounded to earth but the RV does have a GFCI for protection in wet areas.
Pleasure boats have generators and they aren't grounded to earth so it's a gray area at most.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:04 PM   #3

Ontario
Thanks, thats what I've been reading, but I wanted to check with people here as well.
Adair1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:50 PM   #4

Florida
Would not hurt but driving a 6 - 10 foot copper rod each time you use it would be a definite pain.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:13 PM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
Depends on the way the generator is wired. Some have a bonded neutral, some have a floating neutral. And I can't remember which one requires grounding.

Our company has a policy to ground all generators, we try to use existing grounds on the buildings we are working on, as a last resort we will drive in a proper ground rod. We did an exhaustive review of the manuals of all the different brands of generators in the company, 14 different brands and sizes IIRC, the bulk of them said to ground the generators per local electrical codes, a few of the larger ones, 14kw and up called out to have proper grounding. The largest we have is a 20kw 3 phase diesel, smallest is a 1200 watt inverter.

As long as you have GFCI on your camper and they will trip and reset while on generator you should be good to go, grounded or not.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:51 AM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Depends on the way the generator is wired. Some have a bonded neutral, some have a floating neutral. And I can't remember which one requires grounding.

Our company has a policy to ground all generators, we try to use existing grounds on the buildings we are working on, as a last resort we will drive in a proper ground rod. We did an exhaustive review of the manuals of all the different brands of generators in the company, 14 different brands and sizes IIRC, the bulk of them said to ground the generators per local electrical codes, a few of the larger ones, 14kw and up called out to have proper grounding. The largest we have is a 20kw 3 phase diesel, smallest is a 1200 watt inverter.

As long as you have GFCI on your camper and they will trip and reset while on generator you should be good to go, grounded or not.

Aaron

Floating neutral would need to be grounded and bonded. Neutral is the return path line for the electricity back to the generator. Neutral is a current carrying conductor. Green ground is a non current carrying conductor but terminates at the neutral bus bar or a separate bonding bar in the panel.

Floating neutral is known as delta feeds like 480 delta. Not very common.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:47 PM   #7

Tennessee
Set it on the ground and run it.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:49 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
set it on the ground and run it.
^^^ this ^^^
Old 05-31-2018, 01:48 AM   #9

Texas
I have to ground my portable genset it my GFCIs will fault. I use a 6ft piece of solid copper wire connected to a 3ft piece of rebar that I drive in to the ground at an angle for ease of recovery. If for some reason I can't recover it, disconnect the wire, drive it in the ground flush and carry on.
3Sheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:11 AM   #10

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adair1965 View Post
I went through this exact thought process last year. There's a long winded discussion on this forum if you search generator ground and/or my username.

I don't use a ground rod. I did buy a neutral-ground plug for GFI purposes.

Haven't shocked myself yet.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2018, 07:55 PM   #11

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamW View Post
I went through this exact thought process last year. There's a long winded discussion on this forum if you search generator ground and/or my username.

I don't use a ground rod. I did buy a neutral-ground plug for GFI purposes.

Haven't shocked myself yet.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

might as well use a q-tip for a stake and a 22 awg wire for all the good that ground will do for you.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:12 AM   #12

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
might as well use a q-tip for a stake and a 22 awg wire for all the good that ground will do for you.
Actually? It does less than a Qtip and a 22AWG wire. The Neutral-Ground plug is not intended to act as ground. The neutral-ground plug is intended to bond the neutral and ground in a floating neutral generator, thereby allowing the GFCI receptacles inside the unit to operate as intended. Technically, this creates the 'safe' reference point for the GFCI unit. This does NOT create the personnel safety a ground rod would, but the available fault in this size of generator is quite small and the ultimate risk is quite low. (Think minor shock, not electrocution.)

If you choose to drive a ground rod every time you park your trailer and use your generator, I won't fault or mock you, you're safety is your responsibility and I respect your decision. I have done enough research through this forum and various electrical engineering forums to feel safe with my decision.

PamW is offline   Reply With Quote