Generators - price versus quality - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2019, 07:44 PM   #21

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I have owned a wide range of generators over the years. Hondas have been my go-to for dependability and longevity. I have a couple of Honda GX series (similar to the current EB series) that are pushing 25 years old with several thousand hours on them. I used to own a pair of the Honda EU2000s. Great generators, sold them for what I paid for them after using them for about 5 years.

If I were replacing them today I would seriously consider the Champions. The only major difference that I am aware of is that the Hondas use a fuel pump while the Champions are gravity fed. This would likely only be a problem if you wanted to use an auxiliary fuel tank.

Aaron

This is true, you would need to add a few components in order to add an auxiliary fuel tank. I have a list of parts on an Amazon wish list that if I ever do come around to actually using the gen for extended runs, that I will purchase and assemble.

Needs one of These and some check valves and hoses along with a fuel tank for an outboard.

acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:19 PM   #22

California
We have a 2000 Ryobi bought on sale at home depot. It is pretty quiet. We only use this mid day to top off the batteries. Do not try and use the AC but can use the fan part to blow out the hot air. Also I try to place it where the sound would be somewhat blocked to adjacent sites. I have even left it in the back of PU which also works to quiet it down. Out TV is 12V Jensen but really have not watched much while camping. We read, play games, etc.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:19 AM   #23

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
This is true, you would need to add a few components in order to add an auxiliary fuel tank. I have a list of parts on an Amazon wish list that if I ever do come around to actually using the gen for extended runs, that I will purchase and assemble.

Needs one of These and some check valves and hoses along with a fuel tank for an outboard.

Interesting enough, I just bought the items I need for an extended run setup on my Westinghouse iGen 2500. We are at soccer tournaments a lot and during the summer being able to run the AC is great. Even at full throttle I get a pretty decent amount of time out of the 1 gallon onboard tank, but eight the added 6 gallons I could probably run the generator non stop all weekend and not worry about fuel.

I got an sealed extended run cap, a 6 gallon marine auxiliary fuel tank and a prebuilt fuel feed line to connect the 2 that has a primer bulb, check valve and sprayless quick connect. All for about $100-115. Hope it works as planned.
Jayro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:58 PM   #24

Illinois
Ran across this video on a Harbor Freight Predator, pretty quiet for a large generator

Old 05-12-2019, 05:24 PM   #25

California
I heard this generator at a campground about 9 months ago and it was really quiet. In fact this was my top choice on my short list of generators to buy.

Ultimately, I chose Westinghouse igen 4500 due to higher watts, quieter, more features and better warranty for the same price. (Lower in my case)

Once you do your homework and pick what meets your needs, be on the alert for price drops and sales and any coupons you may have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4B662D9A-0C1A-40AE-A35B-3CA367BDCBA1.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	5408  
Drinks of choice: any great bourbon-San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:41 PM   #26
Site Team

North Carolina
Another thing I have not seen mentioned is repair parts availability. It is becoming harder and harder to find parts and people to work on many things. But it is still a factor to keep in mind when choosing something.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:03 PM   #27

Tennessee
Did a review of the Champion 2000 and the all new Honda EU2200 if anyone is interested.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:20 PM   #28

California
Just looked at it, it is a 2200

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:50 PM   #29

Oregon
LOL... sometimes, having too much information can be a double edged sword.

After reading posts here and talking to several generator and battery dealers, I am once again starting to lean towards going with a lithium iron battery. Part of that has to do with just liking everything I hear about them, and that looking at a Battle Born versus a Relion will bring the cost down about $450. According to the Battle Born tech I spoke to, I will have to purchase a new controller since the one I currently have is not adjustable. Cost about $130.

Second, still considering what generator. Part of me wants to invest in the “best” (Honda from what I can determine), but also trying to justify that purchase over a Champion or Westinghouse.

Regardless, the time for me to make a decision is approaching so the hand wringing will end soon.
Researchhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:03 PM   #30

Tennessee
My buddy just told me that Honda recalled 200,000 2200's for a potential fuel valve leak, so figure on an extra trip to your local Honda Powersports dealer if you buy them online.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:25 AM   #31

California
Westinghouse igen4500

We will be dry camping at the beach Memorial Day weekend and part of this trip is to put our generator through the various tests. I’ll report the results. BTW, this is the same location where I witnessed a Predator 3500 running and was very impressed with how quiet it was.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C8BB1998-996F-4D29-8E70-048ADDAB4781.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	5409  
Drinks of choice: any great bourbon-San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:39 AM   #32

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
We will be dry camping at the beach Memorial Day weekend and part of this trip is to put our generator through the various tests. I’ll report the results. BTW, this is the same location where I witnessed a Predator 3500 running and was very impressed with how quiet it was.

I will be interested to hear about your results. I have the iGen 2500 and so far I like it. My only complaint it that this past weekend it didn’t want to run the electric heating element for my hot water heater. All though I was running a couple other things too.

I will Be full timing in my trailer for at least the next few months, so I will get to test out my 2500 quite a bit.

I have all the parts for my extended run tanks, so I will get to test it out too.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:05 AM   #33

Illinois
Went to the shed to get my power washer, so looked at my genny. Its a 3100 Inverter but not one that can be paired with another one. Hmm, thought it was. Oh well, it gets the job done by itself.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:56 PM   #34

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayro88 View Post
My only complaint it that this past weekend it didn’t want to run the electric heating element for my hot water heater. All though I was running a couple other things too.
Why aren't you running your hot water heater on propane with a generator? Those electric elements are huge power draws.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:33 PM   #35

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Why aren't you running your hot water heater on propane with a generator? Those electric elements are huge power draws.
doh!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:37 PM   #36

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post

If I am already using gas running my generator for other reasons, why wouldn’t I run the electric element in the water heater?

Firing up the generator for just the element wouldn’t make sense. If I am plugged in at a site I also will kick on the electric element to use the campsite electric instead of propane.

Is there a reason not to do this?
Old 05-15-2019, 03:43 PM   #37

Illinois
The elements are roughly 1000-1400 watts. That is a huge draw on the generator, and LP is cheap to heat water with. When hooked up I usually run both.

Would you believe(probably not ) that I have one tank that is still the original fill from when I bought the trailer in 2016?
Old 05-15-2019, 04:13 PM   #38

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayro88 View Post
If I am already using gas running my generator for other reasons, why wouldn’t I run the electric element in the water heater?

Firing up the generator for just the element wouldn’t make sense. If I am plugged in at a site I also will kick on the electric element to use the campsite electric instead of propane.

Is there a reason not to do this?
I always run on electric when on shore power, that's no big deal. Your generator is capable of 2200 running watts, as acdii mentioned that element will be using half or more of your available power, not counting what your converter is using. If the air kicked on or someone ran the microwave, it's going to blow a breaker or possibly damage the generator.

Of course if that's the only thing running, it's not a problem. I plan on running my fridge and hotwater heater on propane when we boondock. I guess my goal is keep them running at a low rpm as much as possible.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:45 PM   #39

Arizona
Honda 2200

I researched all the inverters out there and decided to go with the latest model...the Honda 2200. With the MicroAir Easy Start on the AC, it starts and runs just fine...nice and quiet as well. I wanted to buy once and just use it. Costco and others have good prices on similar units but I wanted the reliability of the Honda. I've had Honda and Yamaha motorcycles for years and trust their reliability above any other brand...bar none!

My Honda serial number was in the middle of the recall batch, and Musselman Honda in Tucson took care of the fix in 1 hour.

So far I've made 2 trips boondocking and am impressed with how well the Honda works. It starts, runs and works without any issues. Plus I like to be able to run the carb dry position of the on/off switch as well as the carb bowl drain screw. I can run it dry, drain the bowl and know I'll not have issues in a month when it's time to go out and camp. (yes I do use Stabil and Seafoam as well).

BTW, I got it at Camping World. Yea, I know...but with the internet price from their website and a discount coupon I had for the Honda from the store, they matched the internet price and the total bill at the local store came to a touch over $800 and included a free cover and a free set up. So I'm happy with that as well!

My only complaint was with CW. The tech told me it took 1 qt of oil. I said no...read the book. He insisted. So when I got home, I opened the drain for the oil and it flowed out until it stopped. Over full! Cleaned it up and it's run fine since.
So check the oil level BEFORE you run it at home for 1st time...if you have the initial service done where you buy it.

Honda.
People, Places & Things...for over 40 Years!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:18 AM   #40

Colorado
You have to factor in the running wattage as well. Most advertise starting watts and not running watts. With the 2000 watt range, there could be differences of 200 running watts and when paralleled, can be the difference of 400 watts. So look at that. Most of the inverter generators are pretty quite. I had a pair of briggs and stratton p2200s. My neighbor had Hondas. We used a decibel reader and my briggs and strattons were 1 dB quiter.