Furrion power cord - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2015, 12:30 AM   #1

Michigan
Furrion power cord

I just bought my 2015 Kodiak a little over a month ago. I've had the electric plugged in most of the time at my house. The power cord has the red and blue led light on it. The blue light was always on until 3 days ago I noticed the red one was on. When I went camping this past weekend neithe were on but the blue light on my camper where the cord plugs in was on. I had power, I am just curious is its a faulty cord or what. Anyone else ever have this happen?

pgarza0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 02:38 AM   #2

Alabama
I have a set of blue LED lights on one end of my 50 amp cord and a blue LED at the camper recepticle that seem to function whenever they want to. I haven't had any issues with the power supply from this cord, and assume that the intermittent operation of these little LEDs is just a product of the sketchy quality to be found throughout the RV industry. I was worried about it the first time I noticed it, but after a year's use out of that cord, I just don't pay attention to the lights anymore.

2013 Voltage 3895
2011 Ford F-350 DRW w/ Firestone airbags and heavy duty compressor, Edge Insight CTS, Curt Q24
Moogal78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:48 AM   #3

Michigan
Same here. Two blue LEDs on male end of 50 amp cable. Both worked all last year, now only one comes on. Blue LED on cap of camper receptacle - worked all last year and not now. No power issues at all in the rig.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 02:45 PM   #4

South Carolina
The blue and red LED indicators are for normal power hook up and reverse polarity hook up. respectively. Link to page that has description of what they are supposed to do is here: 30 AMP 125V HEAVY DUTY RV CORDSET W/FAULTSMART LED - 36FT BLACK - FURRION . Since I have been an electrical worker for my adult life, I always secure power before connecting/disconnecting cables. A reversed neutral (red LED) could be especially bad for a person as the exposed frame elements could be electrically hot instead of being at ground state. This could lead to a shock if you were to create a path to ground by touching the frame while standing barefoot. Pretty sure that the two blue LED indicators are mentioned somewhere on the site as well.
Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:31 PM   #5

Michigan
Thanks for the input. I'm assuming the light are just acting up because I was plugged into the outside outlet at my house the whole time. It was blue for the first month or so then just out of nowhere it turned red. The polarity on the hook up just didn't up and change. I also plugged it into another outlet and it was still red. Contacted furrion and the tech support guy said the led lights just get screwed up. He had an explanation for it though. Either way they're sending me a new power cord just to be safe.
pgarza0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:35 PM   #6

Missouri
The LED's are problematic. On my TT, the LED on the cover of the receptacle worked one week. I had it on my warrantee list. The dealer had to replace the whole receptacle. They told me that they were having trouble with almost all of them. My replacement is still working after a year.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:21 PM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgarza0910 View Post
Thanks for the input. I'm assuming the light are just acting up because I was plugged into the outside outlet at my house the whole time. It was blue for the first month or so then just out of nowhere it turned red. The polarity on the hook up just didn't up and change. I also plugged it into another outlet and it was still red. Contacted furrion and the tech support guy said the led lights just get screwed up. He had an explanation for it though. Either way they're sending me a new power cord just to be safe.
Actually due to the lack of intelligence of a commercial electrician I have had power just up and change. It was on a construction site, they changed phases on the power from the temporary wiring and wreaked havoc with a bunch of my equipment. I have also had neutral issues with my beach house, they had one go bad, power company had to write quite a few checks that week for repairs and replacement of just about every electrical item in the house.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:36 PM   #8

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Actually due to the lack of intelligence of a commercial electrician I have had power just up and change. It was on a construction site, they changed phases on the power from the temporary wiring and wreaked havoc with a bunch of my equipment. I have also had neutral issues with my beach house, they had one go bad, power company had to write quite a few checks that week for repairs and replacement of just about every electrical item in the house.

Aaron
I feel your pain. I've been an industrial electrician since 1999 and a shipboard (US Navy) electrician from 1977 to 1998. Nothing quite like troubleshooting a system to find out that a neutral broke free in the transformer that the utility company owns or that someone switched phases on the pier since you were there last time. I've learned as much as I could from bolder electricians as I prefer to be an old electrician.
Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:20 AM   #9

Michigan
I solved my "inop LED on the power cord" issue by installing my EMS surge protector with remotes. The remotes display voltage and amperage on each leg - no more looking at one LED being on and one off wondering if there is a problem...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Surge pro 1.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	2142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Surge pro 2.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	2143  
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:13 PM   #10

Oklahoma
X2 on the EMS surge protector. Took a bit of getting used to waiting for the 'click' to turn on the power, but it has already saved me once when we plugged in and the unit would not turn on. Power on the pole was bad. We changed sites and all was good. Worth the money in my opinion.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:39 PM   #11

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgarza0910 View Post
I just bought my 2015 Kodiak a little over a month ago. I've had the electric plugged in most of the time at my house. The power cord has the red and blue led light on it. The blue light was always on until 3 days ago I noticed the red one was on. When I went camping this past weekend neithe were on but the blue light on my camper where the cord plugs in was on. I had power, I am just curious is its a faulty cord or what. Anyone else ever have this happen?
I had the RV power connector light go out, and one of the 2 power cord lights also. Had both replaced under warranty. That lasted for a short time. Now all the lights are out. Power is fine. It's poor quality on Furion's part.