Furrion observation camera - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2019, 06:08 PM   #1

Michigan
Furrion observation camera

I have a 2018 Aspen Trail 28'. I am looking into getting the furrion observation camera. Would like any feed back from anyone who uses one.

Grpahelmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:51 PM   #2

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grpahelmer View Post
I have a 2018 Aspen Trail 28'. I am looking into getting the furrion observation camera. Would like any feed back from anyone who uses one.

Expensive ($300). But works flawlessly for us. I also run it full time while on the road. So I can keep an eye on the TAIL GAITERS!
Our TT was prewired with powerfed off of running lites. So I keep parking lights on while I drive, not necessarily a bad idea.

Good Luck

ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:22 AM   #3

Arizona
I bought one and mounted it just under the center marker light in the rear of our 29ft trailer. Works well....no dropouts.

Issues I did have during installation is the wires are so tiny, I soldered and crimped the power wires, taped them up then zip tied them to existing wires inside my trailer's rear wall. I'm crossing fingers vibrations don't get the best of those little guys. Second issue is the screws that mount the camera to the holder are also very small. One has already stripped out by vibration alone, after one short hop to a nearby state park for our 1st outing in the trailer. I told support people about it and they acted like I was the only one who ever had this problem. Maybe so, but I tend to doubt it. I used a larger screw in that hole. Others were loose, so I snugged them up. I'm debating a safety wire to protect the camera just in case.

All this aside, the unit works well. I wired power to the trailer running lights as I drive with them on all the time...so the camera has power anytime I'm on the road. The view is wide angle, making it seem like the teeny little car behind you is far away, but he's probably tail gating you!

As a passing tool, I've found when the car you just passed is well beyond the green markers on the monitor, you are good to start to pull back in. Do some testing yourself...you'll see what I mean about bother above statements...

So far so good...
People, Places & Things...for over 40 Years!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:27 AM   #4

Michigan
Thanks for the info greatly appreciated. My unit is pre wired for one, so that eliminates connection problems. ( I hope ). Thanks again.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:25 PM   #5

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grpahelmer View Post
Thanks for the info greatly appreciated. My unit is pre wired for one, so that eliminates connection problems. ( I hope ). Thanks again.
Welcome. Suggest you tape the mini-jack connection between the camera and your built in mount. Mine came undone on last trip (this past week). No power to camera!
People, Places & Things...for over 40 Years!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 03:37 PM   #6

Michigan
Good idea thanks
Old 05-05-2019, 10:38 AM   #7

Florida
I have one and like it very much. My Aerolite was prewired with the mount already on the rear of the trailer. It was however wired as a backup camera so I had to trace down the wire and re-attach it to the running lites so I could use it as an observation camera. I travel with the running lites on for safety and to have power to the camera.
Danj2718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:51 AM   #8

North Carolina
The only thing I don't like about mine is the screen size ( 4" I believe ). I think a 7" is available now. I would get that one.
riven1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:59 PM   #9

Oklahoma
There is a difference between a back up camera and an observation camera. The back up cameras are wired they way they are because the use is intended for going in reverse.

If one wants to watch behind themselves while traveling down the road then the observation camera is the way to go.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:35 PM   #10

Texas
Anyone know if there is a DEFAULT to how these are factory wired. I guess in a new 2019 Coleman Dutchmen what are the odds it is wired as back up only if it sits right next to the running lights.....pre-wired also could mean they never even hooked it up which would SUCK..
www.MasterTheNEC.com
PAbernathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:56 PM   #11

South Carolina
Not sure about this buttttt. Are most trailers even wired for back up lights???? I have not seen one.

Of course I have only seen 232 of the 18 million trailers out there.

Ours is not.
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:15 PM   #12

Florida
There is NOT a wire in the truck to trailer connection that is labeled back up! I wired my camera to the running lights so ok, i have to turn the lights on manually.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:33 PM   #13

Texas
LOL..maybe I was not clear. Some cameras only work for backing up and some are working all the time down the road. I have been reading that some RV's have the power wired from the factory to only provide power when in reverse(backing up).

However, I did speak with Dutchmen today and they said they use the running light 12V right above the furrion camera pre-wired mount so it should have power on whenever the running lights are on.
www.MasterTheNEC.com
PAbernathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:36 PM   #14

Wyoming
May or may not be applicable to your situation... but my factory rear camera was wired to be hot all the time... and I do mean ALWAYS. That is, even with the rig parked in the campground... I could be coming back from town, and would begin getting the video feed in my truck up to a half-mile away.

It worked well, when it worked. Was kinda useful when passing someone going down the road... sneak a peek at the monitor to ensure I was fully past the slower vehicle before pulling back into the right lane.

Only problem was... the cameras that were used back in 2013 & 14 were crap. I went thru 3 of them under warranty before finally saying "screw it".

Since I already use a Garmin RV GPS, I bought their camera as a replacement (BC-30)... which simply uses the GPS as a monitor. Ditching the factory square-box monitor allowed me to get rid of another box on the dash. Anyway, installed it up on the rear using the same wiring as the factory. That was in 2015, and I've never had another issue with it since.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:22 AM   #15

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
There is NOT a wire in the truck to trailer connection that is labeled back up! I wired my camera to the running lights so ok, i have to turn the lights on manually.
Hey Frank, check out center pin/purple wire.

Now whether or not Dutchman runs the purple wire any further than the junction box, could be a whole 'nother story.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:15 PM   #16

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Hey Frank, check out center pin/purple wire.

Now whether or not Dutchman runs the purple wire any further than the junction box, could be a whole 'nother story.
WOW, Who uses a 7 pin plug? Good point though. My RV and TV only has 6 pins and the other plug (the flat one) only has four.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:29 PM   #17

British Columbia
new to site - good stuff. Have a new 5th wheel Aerolite 34'...Bought Furrion Observation camera and hooked it up. Found out rig pre-wired for Back up camera so only comes on in reverse. Is there and easy way to change wire to clearance lights or do I drill and solder. Don, Vancouver Island, Canada.
brendond336@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:31 AM   #18

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendond336@gmail.com View Post
new to site - good stuff. Have a new 5th wheel Aerolite 34'...Bought Furrion Observation camera and hooked it up. Found out rig pre-wired for Back up camera so only comes on in reverse. Is there and easy way to change wire to clearance lights or do I drill and solder. Don, Vancouver Island, Canada.
Don,
Welcome to the forum!
You should be able to make it work like you want by going to the junction box where the trailer lights connector plug ties the plug into trailer lights. If you look at the picture of the plug I posted earlier, you should find a purple wire (back up lights) from plug with a wire joined to it (probably with wire nut or splice). Disconnect this wire from the purple wire and cap off purple wire. Connect this loose wire to the brown wire (side markers/license light). Be sure to include any wires that were already hooked to brown wire when connecting new wire to brown.

This should do it for a 7 pin connector. If you only have 6 pin, do a Google search for a six pin connector schematic.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:29 PM   #19

British Columbia
Thanks Thom, will give it a try.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:14 PM   #20

British Columbia
Thanks Thom - got it working - slight difference with wire colour - back up wire is yellow and clearance lights are green. This is the Dutchmen hook up. Did the switch with these wires and all is good. Works off my clearance lights or headlights. Love it. Come to Canada, I will buy you a beer. Don.