Factory wiring is a joke - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2016, 10:09 PM   #1

Washington
Factory wiring is a joke

This is a what I discovered when pulling out the switch panel in the garage. The orange wire came completely out of the crimp and there are at last two open segments of copper wire on the factory-wired lugs. Boo!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	3564  

The Cramblersons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:04 AM   #2

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cramblersons View Post
This is a what I discovered when pulling out the switch panel in the garage. The orange wire came completely out of the crimp and there are at last two open segments of copper wire on the factory-wired lugs. Boo!!!
Yep, ours too. I mounted a double rocker switch on the wall so we could turn on the kitchen lights without having to open the cabinet. I discovered nearly every crimp behind the control panel was loose when I went in to wire the switches. I had to replace nearly every spade connector. Even the power jumpers crimps were loose. I had whole boxes of connectors so if the wires pulled out, a new one went on and was crimped properly. That was a real PITA job. We like having the kitchen lights on switches though, very convenient.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wall Switch.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	3565  

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:52 AM   #3

British Columbia
That's just the tip of the iceberg, just wait until you get behind a wall or into the bellypan.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:12 AM   #4

Washington
Ugh. I want to install a legitimate ammeter in the panel. I shudder to think what I may find. I even noticed the holes for the switches were cut all irregular and barely cover by the trim plate.
I like the idea of the switches outside the cabinet. My front awning control is inside the cabinet but the awning light is on the wall above the thermostat. Weird.
The Cramblersons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:12 AM   #5

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cramblersons View Post
Ugh. I want to install a legitimate ammeter in the panel. I shudder to think what I may find. I even noticed the holes for the switches were cut all irregular and barely cover by the trim plate.
I like the idea of the switches outside the cabinet. My front awning control is inside the cabinet but the awning light is on the wall above the thermostat. Weird.
Yep again, Ours the same. I'm looking to get an awning switch like the rear one to mount next to the light switch. Also pondering installing another double on the other side of the fireplace for the lights on that side.

It does take two people to pull out the control panel though. The wires are just hanging with no support so I had to lift the bundle from underneath while the misses gently pulled out the panel. As has already been said, anytime I look inside anything I just shake my head and start fixing it right. Maybe someday I'll actually be finished.

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:24 PM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompwil View Post
Maybe someday I'll actually be finished.
Ten years and I'm still finding stuff. My alltime favorite was the 120V wire flopping around in the wall behind the T-stat, that was linstalled with a 2" screw. There was only one bare wire showing, where the insulation was worn away by. the screw.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote