Exterior Light doesn't work - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2015, 02:13 AM   #1

Ontario
Exterior Light doesn't work

We have a Kodiak 160E and the exterior light that is in the middle of the trailer under the awning does not work. I have changed and checked the bulb, that is not the issue. I have also ensured the exterior light switch on the inside panel is turned on, which it is. I have even checked the wires for power and there isn't any. Is there a way to get a detailed wiring diagram for my trailer so I can trace the wires back? I am not sure if this is worth fixing or not, since I don't really want to dig into the walls for one tiny light. I have found this one to be strange, all of the rest of the lighting in the trailer works fine, as do all of the other electrical items. The trailer is in top shape too so I am surprised this light doesn't work. I am not sure if there is anything else I am missing.

glawrence66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 02:38 AM   #2

Arizona
Where did you check the wires for power. At the bulb or at the switch. If you had power at the switch then check and make sure that your ground is good.

arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:48 AM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
No wiring diagrams are known to exist, supposedly the factory makes them available to authorized dealers, but the few I have talked to say they don't really exist and what few they have seen bear little resemblance to reality.

Check the power at the switch, then back stream from there. In most cases there is a loose or even missing wire. There is always the chance that the light was never hooked up.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:01 PM   #4

Ontario
I have checked the power at the switch. I guess I will have to see if the ground is good and if the hot wire is indeed hot.

Where abouts do you think the wiring for that light would be tied in? I am not sure where it is supposed to get power from.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:11 PM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by glawrence66 View Post
I have checked the power at the switch. I guess I will have to see if the ground is good and if the hot wire is indeed hot.

Where abouts do you think the wiring for that light would be tied in? I am not sure where it is supposed to get power from.
It most likely is daisy chained from another light or near by device. I have pulled several lights on mine and found up to 4 wires crimped together. FWIW all of my lights are controlled by a switch directly on the fixture. I found that I have one circuit has the range hood fan, range hood light, over sink light and bath room light on it. I just added another one to it. Good thing is I am using LED so I really don't have to worry about overloading the circuit now.

Aaron
Old 05-10-2015, 12:05 PM   #6

Ontario
I found the problem, there is an intermittent connection at the switch inside the trailer on the switch panel beside the microwave. If I play with the switch, the outside light will work. I will make sure the wiring is good, if it is, then I will replace the switch. I am glad I found the issue and I don't have to rip the trailer apart.

Thanks for the help.

Greg
Old 05-10-2015, 01:26 PM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by glawrence66 View Post
I found the problem, there is an intermittent connection at the switch inside the trailer on the switch panel beside the microwave. If I play with the switch, the outside light will work. I will make sure the wiring is good, if it is, then I will replace the switch. I am glad I found the issue and I don't have to rip the trailer apart.

Thanks for the help.

Greg
Bad switch... they are not made very well and I wouldn't be surprised if the ones Dutchmen uses are bottom of the barrel quality. FWIW I use the ones from JR Products, seem to be better made that a lot of them, also anything from Blue Sea is a good bet too.

The ones from Blue Sea are console mount the ones from JR can be used in place of most RV switches, they also make a wide variety of cover and mounting plates. JR is what I put in my camper. I usually order mine off Amazon, I have yet to find a dealer with a decent stock of them on hand.

Aaron

Tags
exterior light