Electrical Questions - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2016, 05:33 PM   #21

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
\
It's doubtful they follow the NEC given some of the 110 volt wiring we've come across.
For GFCIs, 6 feet within a water source is sort of a rule of thumb for interior spaces.
No, it's certain that they don't follow the NEC or any other code. If Dutchmen had to have every unit built inspected by the electrical inspector they would never pass.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:15 PM   #22
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
No, it's certain that they don't follow the NEC or any other code. If Dutchmen had to have every unit built inspected by the electrical inspector they would never pass.
The first one they built for the RVIA passed... it was all self-inspection after that!

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:41 PM   #23

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
The first one they built for the RVIA passed... it was all self-inspection after that!

Aaron
Yep and that's the day the electrician was laid off.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:15 PM   #24

Colorado
matokeya,

Marty has the plan. Trip the GFCI outlet, then check for which outlets are still in service or out of service. Then you'll be able to map at least some of the outlets. Me, I use a standard light bulb fixture that plugs into and outlet...quick test!

We only got about 2" of snow here in Canon City. Started snowing about 2 AM Saturday morning and quit about 9PM Saturday night. Real wet snow...thankfully washed all the pollens out of the air. Cedars and Junipers are pollenating and my eyes itched so bad..UGH!! Just about dried out now. So it goes!!

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:04 PM   #25

Florida
Click image for larger version

Name:	pollen.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	3058
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:32 AM   #26

Colorado
Thom,

And oh boy don't I know it!! About as miserable as I've been in 10 years!!

Today the wet snow melted, got the pollen and I feel better than I have since getting home from Arizona on March 7th!!

Pirate
Old 03-28-2016, 10:49 AM   #27

Colorado
I found out last night why that GFCI keeps tripping and hopefully it will be an easy fix when warmer weather comes. Seems like I have a leak on the top of my unit that is allowing water to come into my trailer right above one of my outlets. It tripped last night and when I went to fix my coffee pot for this a.m., there was a large puddle of water under my pot. I checked the cabinet above and sure enough, it was wet. So, when the snow ends and I have a couple of dry days, I'm going to risk life and limb (I can't do heights) to see if I can seal that corner (or at least find some brave soul to do it for me).

Pirate, we got about 12 more inches up here (that's on top of the 20 we got last Wed.) It is very heavy & wet but will do good for vegetation. Sorry you are having allergy problems. Hope you feel better soon.
matokeya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:23 PM   #28
Site Team

North Carolina
We have our fair share of pollen... thankfully we had heavy rains last night that have washed a lot of it down. Here is a picture of the lake first thing this morning, it will take a while to completely dissipate, at least it is contained now.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:01 PM   #29

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by matokeya View Post
I found out last night why that GFCI keeps tripping and hopefully it will be an easy fix when warmer weather comes. Seems like I have a leak on the top of my unit that is allowing water to come into my trailer right above one of my outlets. It tripped last night and when I went to fix my coffee pot for this a.m., there was a large puddle of water under my pot. I checked the cabinet above and sure enough, it was wet. So, when the snow ends and I have a couple of dry days, I'm going to risk life and limb (I can't do heights) to see if I can seal that corner (or at least find some brave soul to do it for me).
You will want to get on that real quick, get as much air circulating through the cabinet and the rest of the camper to get it dried out.

Mould and mildew take hold and spread fairly fast. It sounds like a quite a leak and if it's flowing enough water to create a puddle on your counter, there's probably a lot more that you can't see and that will be getting into your floor.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:45 PM   #30

Colorado
The very wet snow we had on Saturday did a great job of getting all the pollens out of the air!!

So feeling so much better! I just hate red, incredibly itch eyes and an itchy palet is even worse.

Hopefully that was the worst of it..hope...hope...hope!!!

Thanks for the thoughts!!

Pirate
Old 03-29-2016, 08:45 AM   #31

Colorado
hddecker - Thanks for the tip. Actually, I had already done what you suggested. Just checked and all is dry, no sign of moisture. As soon as I can find someone to climb up to check it out, I will then know what I need to do. I am mortified of heights and it took all the courage I had just to climb up a few rungs to see if I had a tv antenna (which I do). Need to get a few replacement parts for that and I can see tv again, which I haven't seen in a little over a month. Really missing the news.

Pirate - glad to hear you are feeling better. I don't have allergies so don't know what you are experiencing. I do have friends that have them bad so I kind of know what you are going through. Most of my snow has melted but still have a lot. Over the two storms we just had, I got about 32 inches total. I see where we have another round coming in tomorrow and then again the evening of 4/6 morning of 4/7. I love the snow, but so looking forward to finally retiring (in 13 weeks) and not having to drive in it if I don't need to.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:31 PM   #32

Colorado
matokeya.

13 weeks to retirement...where are you retiring from?

I retired at 57 from Xcel Energy on June 3, 2011. 35 years was enough. No regrets and No looking back!!

Pirate
Old 03-29-2016, 11:07 PM   #33

Colorado
Pirate,

I'm presently working at Current. Been there only 4 years, but I turn 70 next month and I think I'm old enough to simply retire. I took early retirement 5 years ago and I'm regretting that decision. Do wish I had waited. The road ahead is going to be pretty tough & $$'s thin, but hey...I'm a survivor and I can make things happen. I do have a part-time, remote job, with my former boss in Texas doing my job I did when I was there remotely. Wedding & Event planning. Actually, I work for the Taylor Corporation out of Mn, and all of our jobs will be ending the end of June when Taylor pulls everything up there. Current Inc, is now owned by Regent out of Calif. Anyway, I'm looking forward to NOT have to drive to work everyday, in the dark & snow. I actually live a pretty simple life, so don't need much to make me happy and content.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:57 PM   #34

Colorado
Sorry, what is Current Inc.?

Bummer the road is going to be rough and financially difficult.

But yup, us survivors will be OK.

Pirate
Old 03-30-2016, 11:34 AM   #35

Colorado
Current Inc, has been around since the 70's. They sell a bunch of stuff. The couple who started it started in their garage here in the Springs.

Yeah, it's going to be tough, but I do have a part-time job to help and if need be, I can get another one, but sure don't want to. I also have a craft business that has been on hold for a while that brings in extra income as well. Been doing that since the 70's as well. So, I do have my resources.

Matokeya