electrical junction box on fith wheel pin box - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2015, 03:26 PM   #1

Arizona
electrical junction box on fith wheel pin box

looking for wiring diagragm on 2014 voltage for junction box on the pin box

labador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:21 AM   #2

California
There are 6 wires in the box, going to 6 wire nuts. Each has a wire coming from the trailer mated to a wire coming from the truck - except one...The reverse/backup wire.
What is it you are looking to do? There are no Voltage wiring diagrams that any of us know of other than the ones we had to figure out, so we may be able to help that way.

2015 Voltage 3800 w/ Epic IV, Int&Ext, Garage Pkgs; 8x100W Solar, 2x Xantrex C35 Charge Controllers, SW2000 Inverter & Monitor; 2005 Chevy Duramax Dually 3500 w/Banks; Kawi KFX700 & Polaris Scrambler 500 ATVs.
VCToyhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:59 AM   #3

South Carolina
Standard 7 pin here. Hope it's a start....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-way diagram.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	2584  
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:29 PM   #4

Arizona
I need to know where the black 12 volt charging wire coming from the truck connects to the trailer
labador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:17 PM   #5

Utah
We need the same information on the junction box for our 2013 Voltage 3200, wires were pulled out of wing nuts accidentally and we're trying to rewire a new 7 way. There's a lot more wires in ours than 6, we have everything working now but the side running lights. Thank you!
Electra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:27 PM   #6

British Columbia
Welcome to the forum, Electra.

If you look at the image that Martyg posted the brown wire at number three positon is your tail/running lights. Are the tail lights working, or are you counting them as a running lights as well. If the taillights are working, there may be another wire nut down stream from the junction box that has been effected.

Take a look at the wires, do you have any odd colored wires, the above is supposed to be the standardized colors. When I rewired the junction box on our camper, there were some wires that were an off color shades and if it weren't for doing one set of wires at a time I would still be trying to figure it out. I had to get a flashlight to see the difference in color.

Good luck, I hope you find an easy fix for your problem.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:26 AM   #7

Utah
We have a bunch of wires in there. The obvious are the ones from the hitch cord itself. Yellow to yellow, brown to brown, red to red. Yellow is dead, got that one down(backup lights). White to white. Blue to blue. Not sure where the heavier black wire goes. So on the trailer there are 4 white wires, one fat red, one brown and white, one brown, one red, two black(Ebrakes) one blue. Everything works except the lights. I have turn signals, Flashers, brake lights, trailer brakes. No running lights at all. So something somewhere up there is wrong, just don't know what it is. Can't find a wiring diagram at all except the standard ones, which Voltage isn't using.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:12 AM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra View Post
We have a bunch of wires in there. The obvious are the ones from the hitch cord itself. Yellow to yellow, brown to brown, red to red. Yellow is dead, got that one down(backup lights). White to white. Blue to blue. Not sure where the heavier black wire goes. So on the trailer there are 4 white wires, one fat red, one brown and white, one brown, one red, two black(Ebrakes) one blue. Everything works except the lights. I have turn signals, Flashers, brake lights, trailer brakes. No running lights at all. So something somewhere up there is wrong, just don't know what it is. Can't find a wiring diagram at all except the standard ones, which Voltage isn't using.
Dutchmen doesn't provide wiring diagrams, if they did that they would have to build them all the same way.

Sounds like your left over wires are for the campers 12V system. Without being able to get hands on I can't tell you which is which.

I can describe how our TT is wired. The red number 4 pin on Marty's diagram is your 12V charging circuit from the truck. The heavy red, white, and black wires are the campers side of that circuit. Keep in mind I am talking TT not 5er, from that 12V charging cicuit, I have two heavy wires going from that connection, to a pair of circuit breakers on the tongue. I can't remember what they are protecting. One of the heavy wires goes to the + side of the battery and there is one black wire that is tying your TV ground to the camper.

If you find the circuit breakers that will help you to identify which wires belong to the charging cicuit.

For the lights, check the 12V fuse panel in the camper to make sure you don't have a burnt out fuse that's the culprit. If the fuses are good, you will have to trace the tail lights/running lights cicuit looking for defective wire nut splices. If it's a bad splice I suspect it is going to be fairly close to the first junction box. You may have to start pulling lights to verify conections from one light to the next.

When I rewired my TT, I installed a proper 7 pin junction box and clean up another one of Dutchmens messes. I haven't had a wiring related problem since.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:25 AM   #9

South Carolina
Here's a trick, but be careful: Construct a jumper wire of 10ga wire, with a 20amp fuse in line. Now connect one end to the camper battery +, i.e. positive side. Make sure the tow vehicle is not connected. Now touch the other end to each wire. See what happens. The brakes will hum, lights will light. When you touch the 12V+ nothing will happen, and when you touch the ground, the fuse will blow. Now you know what each lead goes to. (BTW, your three whites each sound like grounds, but I'm guessing at this point.)
Old 07-19-2016, 05:57 AM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
(BTW, your three whites each sound like grounds, but I'm guessing at this point.)
Marty,

The white wires should be grounds, but you have the Dutchmen factor to consider. This is why I love my multi-meter, it removes the Dutchmen factor.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:05 AM   #11

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Marty,

The white wires should be grounds, but you have the Dutchmen factor to consider. This is why I love my multi-meter, it removes the Dutchmen factor.
Jim, agreed. I wouldn't tackle this without mine. I started thinking about a post where more than zero ohms was a lamp, but near-zero was a ground. I gave that up, because I figured the poster had no clue, and no multi-meter. (Only about $8 at Harbor Freight), or knowledge of how to use it. That's how I came up with the "ground blows a fuse" method. Rough, I know, but again, if they knew how to use a meter, they wouldn't be asking these questions.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:06 PM   #12

Utah
Thank you everyone for your comments and tips, I'll have my husband read them and see what we can figure out. If anyone has a 2013 3200 I'd appreciate a photo of their wiring in the junction box. The side amber marker lights are not working, everything else seems to be ok.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:47 PM   #13

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
That's how I came up with the "ground blows a fuse" method. Rough, I know, but again, if they knew how to use a meter, they wouldn't be asking these questions.
Marty,

I like it, it's kind of like a single use multi-meter. It would be a great teaching aid in learning the basics of using a multi-meter.