Dry Cell Batteries - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2018, 01:55 AM   #1

Ontario
Dry Cell Batteries

I have looked through the site and can't find an answer to what I think is an easy question. Hopefully the people with alot more experience than I can answer the question.

I have no modification to the exsisting charging or elecrical system on my 2011 denali fifth, I am wondering if I can install dry cell batteries in it. is the OEM charging system compatible with dry cell (AMG) type house batteries? I have always run typical wet cell deep cycle batteries but find they only last a couple of years and need to be repalced. My RV is connected to shore power most of the time all summer and I am tired of having to top up the wet cells with distilled water. I'm thinking of jumping to dry cell but know little about them and am looking for information about purchase and if they are compatible.

thanks

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 CTD
2011 Dutchmen Denali 262 RLX
drogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:42 AM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogers View Post
I have looked through the site and can't find an answer to what I think is an easy question. Hopefully the people with alot more experience than I can answer the question.

I have no modification to the exsisting charging or elecrical system on my 2011 denali fifth, I am wondering if I can install dry cell batteries in it. is the OEM charging system compatible with dry cell (AMG) type house batteries? I have always run typical wet cell deep cycle batteries but find they only last a couple of years and need to be repalced. My RV is connected to shore power most of the time all summer and I am tired of having to top up the wet cells with distilled water. I'm thinking of jumping to dry cell but know little about them and am looking for information about purchase and if they are compatible.

thanks
AGM batteries will charge faster than flooded batteries but that shouldn't be a problem for the control circuits of the converter.
If you have been topping off the so called deep cycle batteries they may be being over charged.
You might want to check the charge rate of the converter before spending money on AGMs.

A little reading material for you...https://www.batterysystems.net/flood...agm-batteries/

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:50 AM   #3

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
You might want to check the charge rate of the converter before spending money on AGMs./[/url]
How would you do this? Test the voltage at the hook up while connected to shore power? and what voltage should be there?

Old 02-27-2018, 12:27 PM   #4

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogers View Post
How would you do this? Test the voltage at the hook up while connected to shore power? and what voltage should be there?
The first thing to do would be to find the model number of the converter and then check the specs on it.
It's seven years old, probably the OEM converter that is a basic machine so it's maybe on its way out the door.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:24 AM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
If it is a WFCO converter that in itself may be the issue. Depending on the model you may be able to buy just the converter part and get an upgrade. I buy all of my converters and associated hardware from Best Converter, they are great people to deal with and very knowledgeable. You can email or call with any questions and they will give you an honest, prompt answer.

Post up which model you have and we can help with some suggestions. From what I recall the AGM uses a different power curve for charging than the flooded cell batteries. I also agree that if you are having to add water frequently you may have a converter issue. What brand and type of wet cell battery are you using? FWIW I typically get 5+ years out of a set flooded cell batteries.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:47 PM   #6

Michigan
I agree, from the sounds of your description I think it is the converter. You want a converter with 3 stage charging (bulk, absorption, float), sometimes called a "smart charging".
nickthehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:22 PM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
I actually prefer the 4 stage over the 3 stage. Here is a link to the Progressive Dynamic's Charge Wizard page. PD is my preferred converter. Anytime I have had a WFCO crap out (more than I care to remember) I have always replaced them with the PD versions. Also just for the record the WFCO are notorious for NOT using the Boost Mode effectively, it will go into boost mode briefly, then quickly go into normal mode taking much longer to fully charge the battery. There have been a host of work arounds, but IMHO I think the best method is to replace them with something that actually works like it is designed to.

Aaron
Old 03-01-2018, 03:29 PM   #8

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I actually prefer the 4 stage over the 3 stage. Here is a link to the Progressive Dynamic's Charge Wizard page. PD is my preferred converter. Anytime I have had a WFCO crap out (more than I care to remember) I have always replaced them with the PD versions.

Aaron
Forgive my stupidity, but do you have to buy that charge wizard to maintain the battery? I thought converters all had built in chargers?
Old 03-01-2018, 03:38 PM   #9
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Forgive my stupidity, but do you have to buy that charge wizard to maintain the battery? I thought converters all had built in chargers?
The Charge Wizard used to be an add-on, now it is an integral part of most of the Progressive Dynamics converters. Not all converters do the same thing. Some of the older ones were only two stage, Airstream was still using those up until just a few years ago. .

The key is to get at minimum a three stage the operates correctly, four stage is better. WFCO claims to be a four stage, but I have never seen one operate as a four stage nor operate correctly. They go to "normal" mode too quickly to do a good job. They also have a tendency to fail and boil batteries, or not produce any power at all.

Aaron
Old 03-02-2018, 11:46 AM   #10

Ontario
I haven't been ignoring your replies, they are appreciated. Once it warms up enough to pull the converter out I will do so and get back with the model number to get specs.

I'm sure I'll repost for more info in about a month or so.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:28 PM   #11

Massachusetts
Just a side question ..
I see a lot of different amperage rated inverters ??
what size is adequate for a 22 ft camper with 1 Battery ?? and or if I was to add another battery to have more reserve
Thanks in advance
Dan
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:05 PM   #12

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
Just a side question ..
what size is adequate for a 22 ft camper with 1 Battery ?? and or if I was to add another battery to have more reserve
Thanks in advance
Dan
My little camper came with a 55 amp unit (it has a 15k ac unit), the Progressive Dynamics replacement is also 55 amps. You should have a sticker somewhere on your old one that shows the specs.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:18 PM   #13

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
My little camper came with a 55 amp unit (it has a 15k ac unit), the Progressive Dynamics replacement is also 55 amps. You should have a sticker somewhere on your old one that shows the specs.
thanks .. don't need one yet but was just curious thanks for the input
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 12:05 AM   #14
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
Just a side question ..
Thanks in advance
Dan
The size has to do with the number of circuits and the output on the DC charger side. I typically see 35, 45 or 55 amp units in most smaller TT's. I seem to recall someone made a 25 amp unit for popups but I haven't seen one of those in years.

Aaron