Directv traveler install - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2015, 04:04 PM   #1

Nevada
Directv traveler install

Just got my traveler. I know this has probably been covered but here it goes

First when mounting dish assembly are voltage roof's strong to mount directly or did you first put down plate material?

Is it easier and better to run dedicated cable to each TV location?

I want three TV capability. What receiver are you using? Have genie system at home. Have dvr receiver in living and small genie receivers in bedroom. That's what I would like to do in rv. Don't know if small receivers are wireless and need cable connections?

Any information greatly appreciated.
Bill

Soccerloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 05:14 PM   #2

Nevada
Bill, Check with Cale, he has Direct TV and has all the TV's working…...

2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 05:15 PM   #3

Nevada
Great thanks!!
Old 09-19-2015, 07:05 PM   #4

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNevada View Post
Bill, Check with Cale, he has Direct TV and has all the TV's working…...
Off topic:
How would Bill find Cale's screen name or does he already know who he is?
DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:59 PM   #5

Nevada
Sorry but have talked with him in the pass, if you look at the other thread on TVs you will see his email address....i dont remember it right now and driving at this time
Rich
Old 09-19-2015, 08:13 PM   #6

Maryland
Bill,

Received your PM...I am driving down the road, give me a couple hours to get back home and I will get the information you requested.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:32 PM   #7

Maryland
Bill,

See the photo below, that is what I have in the Voltage right now. It works well for us, especially since we full time as a family. If it was just the wife and myself, I would have only one mini Genie, as they can be moved from TV to TV, only requires power cord and HDMI cable... The Air Bridge and the main Genie are located behind my main TV, the outside TV mini is inside, under the stove, and the others are velcroed to the backs of the TVs.

As far as antenna, I only use a roof mount for Internet. The satellite gets setup on a tripod and is manually setup each time we move...takes me about 15-30 minutes, depending on which kid is helping me...

Cale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	2555  

Old 09-20-2015, 03:28 AM   #8

Nevada
Directv traveler install

Cale appreciate your reply. So it appears I need 1 genie dvr and two minis and video bridge. Since we travel quite a bit internet is not a requirement. Did you purchase these items from directv or Amazon or the like
Really appreciate your info!!!![emoji3]
Old 09-20-2015, 03:38 AM   #9

Wyoming
Ok, as some of you may remember, I've been thinking of adding this to my rig for awhile, and have previously asked a few questions. As such, I've been following the 2 threads that SoccerLoco started.

While I'm still on the fence about investing the $2,500+ that it'll take to get things going (antenna, receivers, genies, etc.), and then the extra $800/year I anticipate in monthly service dues... I'm now wondering about installation.

While I don't mind turning wrenches on mechanical issues... the installation & plumbing of the required cables is clearly an area I'm not comfortable with doing myself.

Question: Any recommendations out there for a competent installer that would come to my rig & do the work on site?

Option 1:
Yes, I know I could pack up and schedule an appointment at Camping World. But that means losing the rig for a day or 2, and plus I'm sure they'd want me to buy the antenna from them... and their current price is about $400 more than I can get it for elsewhere.

Option 2:
Since I understand that I have to buy the receivers & genie units from someplace... I'm wondering if they can/will also dispatch service technicians to install and set things up?

Option 3:
If I call DirectTV, will they send someone to install & setup my gear?

I'm just completely dumb about all of this... and while, if I decide to go ahead, I don't mind spending the money for good equipment and competent labor... I don't wanna spend an arm & leg, only to find out after the guy leaves that I didn't get the correct components or things didn't get installed correctly.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:42 AM   #10

Nevada
Bill, I think you said you have Directv at home, just order the items from Directv and they should only charge you $6.00 for each Genie a month, I don't know what the cost will be for the DVR
Old 09-20-2015, 03:57 AM   #11

Nevada
Directv traveler install

It is a crazy dilemma. In my case I am already a directv user. I looked at dish and their special $49 a month for two years. Also you can buy dome antennas that receive HD signal unlike directv for 3 to 500 hundred dollars. Next issue my wife and I travel a lot she often likes to watch different programs which presents a problem. So I called dish and the $49 special is not available to Rv's so if I went with them it would be $75 a month plus hardware roughly $900 buck a year. With directv big money for antenna but it works like home and it will cost $6.50 per month per receiver. It's possible I might use one or two genies from my home so for me what I save on monthly charges will pay for the antenna in a couple a years or less. I have been vacillating on installing myself or having someone do it. When I was recently in Couer d'Alene Idaho camping world quoted first $1,000 to install with purchasing traveler from for $1899. After a couple minutes the service person said he could do it for $700. First you can buy the latest travelers for $1250 to $1475 biggest issue is shipping. Mine was $1475 free shipping. Needless to say I politely told camping world to keep their whole deal. I have called a local mobile Rv tech and hope to hear from him on Monday. I will let you know his estimate. Really looking at the install the biggest hassle is getting unit on the roof. Most folks it takes them about two hours to install Keep waiting for a loader to head down my street so we could lift the antenna on the roof. Oh well don't get mounting plate till Wednesday and I am leaving on Friday. So install after next weekend
Old 09-20-2015, 04:10 AM   #12

Nevada
Directv traveler install

Rich your absolutely right. I spoke to them the other day and the customer service agent said I should check Amazon and eBay. The $6 per month per receiver absolutely clinched the deal for me. It makes the pain of the cost of traveler antenna all better!! And we will have same channel package as home
Old 09-20-2015, 11:23 AM   #13

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Ok, as some of you may remember, I've been thinking of adding this to my rig for awhile, and have previously asked a few questions. As such, I've been following the 2 threads that SoccerLoco started.

While I'm still on the fence about investing the $2,500+ that it'll take to get things going (antenna, receivers, genies, etc.), and then the extra $800/year I anticipate in monthly service dues... I'm now wondering about installation.

While I don't mind turning wrenches on mechanical issues... the installation & plumbing of the required cables is clearly an area I'm not comfortable with doing myself.

Question: Any recommendations out there for a competent installer that would come to my rig & do the work on site?

Option 1:
Yes, I know I could pack up and schedule an appointment at Camping World. But that means losing the rig for a day or 2, and plus I'm sure they'd want me to buy the antenna from them... and their current price is about $400 more than I can get it for elsewhere.

Option 2:
Since I understand that I have to buy the receivers & genie units from someplace... I'm wondering if they can/will also dispatch service technicians to install and set things up?

Option 3:
If I call DirectTV, will they send someone to install & setup my gear?

I'm just completely dumb about all of this... and while, if I decide to go ahead, I don't mind spending the money for good equipment and competent labor... I don't wanna spend an arm & leg, only to find out after the guy leaves that I didn't get the correct components or things didn't get installed correctly.
Tom,

IRT your questions, calling DirecTV would be best if you are not a customer already. While I was a current customer when I ordered my setup, the whole wireless thing was only in certain areas at the time and the purchase of equipment through an online vendor was nearly non-existent. Plus I had the added benefit of the tech changing out my old bulky Genie for the latest/greatest version...

For my install, the only thing items that needed to be pulled from the small cabinet below the TV to the TV itself was an HDMI cable and a piece of coax. I would have to remove the booster plate to check what was done, as I cannot remember, but the tech was able to put a wire and a splitter (maybe wrong nomenclature) in the wall which still allows for boosted OTA signals to make it to all TVs and cable (on the chance that a park offers it) to all TVs. Kind of the best of everything...

For the equipment, the install was $99 (tech got it waived, but gave him $50 and we had a beer afterwards, since I was his last call and it was late), the main Genie was free (current customer), received two minis free and paid $99 each for the other two...cost to me was $250. I believe if you are a new customer, you can get all the equipment for free, but have to pay $99....I caution you on this DO NOT say RV to the representative. I made that mistake, the price quote was stupid high, which confused the rep, after some talking to her supervisor, she said that the RV prices included hanging new TVs at each location and some other stuff. Her supervisor said to write it up as a regular home.

When we travel outside our 250 mile local spot beam, I just give them the updated service address and I have local channels if I desire. If nothing on those channels need to be recorded, we just watch the other channels...pay channels don't care where you are at...same satellite...

We talked about the roof mounted system (wife and I) and ultimately decided against it, due to a lot of places we go have a lot of trees. I have had to set the dish up nearly 100ft away before. I have also needed to set up on a neighbors spot, luckily the weather was crap that weekend, so I offered the mini Genie from our outside TV for their use while we were there for the weekend, which worked great and their kids enjoyed it...

If you are not going anywhere for a while, I would just have them come out to install your stuff now (they will give you a dish, LNBs, and a tripod), then keep shopping around for the roof mounted installation. Once you have the roof mounted antenna, you can choose to keep the ground antenna in case you end up somewhere the roof doesn't work for you.

Cale

Old 09-20-2015, 05:14 PM   #14

Wyoming
Ok, thanks. I have been hesitant to call DirectTV, as I'd heard many of you say before to not tell them I'm in an RV. Well, since I'm now fulltime, I don't know what else to tell them. I no longer have a fixed address.

But at least I know that they will come out to hook everything up, so that helps.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 09-21-2015, 12:05 AM   #15

Maryland
Don't tell them you are an RV in the sense you are looking for a "roaming service". They know RV folks use their service...last Christmas, we changed service location 6 times in 15 days...it became a running joke when I called in to change service addresses...I have found that many of the customer service techs are curious about RVs and we chat about roaming around while service is resetting. I do have to hand it to DirecTV, they use US based customer service, which I am extremely happy with.

Cale

Old 09-21-2015, 02:28 AM   #16

Nevada
Tom, Since No one has talked about Good Sam, I will put my info. I pay $489 per year, but have $1,000 Deductible….You may get a better Rate, since I have a lot of toys and Properties….For my vehicles and Homes, I have AAA, Boat and Jetski's with Boat US
I am also looking for new Ins., so I am interested on your question….
Old 09-23-2015, 02:06 AM   #17

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by calewjohnson View Post
... The Air Bridge and the main Genie are located behind my main TV, the outside TV mini is inside, under the stove, and the others are velcroed to the backs of the TVs...
Cale (or anyone else), yet another question... this one a little more generic.

You mention the outdoor tv above... how you mounted the Genie "inside, under the stove". How did you get access under the stove to place it & provide power? Did you cut a hole behind the TV, or is there a better way? I've got a drawer under my stove, but I don't think removing it will get me where I need to go..

Thanks...
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 09-23-2015, 02:09 AM   #18

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Cale (or anyone else), yet another question... this one a little more generic.

You mention the outdoor tv above... how you mounted the Genie "inside, under the stove". How did you get access under the stove to place it & provide power? Did you cut a hole behind the TV, or is there a better way? I've got a drawer under my stove, but I don't think removing it will get me where I need to go..

Thanks...
My 120 outlet is on the bulkhead under my spice drawer, just to the right of the stove....I keep all that goodness under that drawer...

Cale
Old 09-23-2015, 02:28 AM   #19

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by calewjohnson View Post
My 120 outlet is on the bulkhead under my spice drawer, just to the right of the stove....I keep all that goodness under that drawer...

Cale
Hmmm... ok, thanks. My floorpan's different, so I don't have that kind of setup. The only visible power outlet in that area for me is in the overhead cabinet... above the microwave, and to the left of my fridge.

That said, I KNOW there's gotta be another outlet somewhere behind the exterior TV panel, as the power cord goes into the bottom of it and disappears somewhere behind it. Looks like I may need to bore another hole and go exploring.

Fun, fun...
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 09-23-2015, 02:31 AM   #20

Oklahoma
You might pull the drawer under the stove, it's roomy under there and there is an outlet that services the exterior TV. On my 3800 that is.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote