Directv traveler install - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2015, 03:35 AM   #21

Nevada
Directv traveler install

Ok here is the latest after talking to directv. Each account can have only one genie system. I have one in my home and do not want to disrupt my recordings etc. So what I can do is purchase an hr-24 dvr receiver and a h-25 receiver. They are not wireless so I will have to run coax to both. Not a big deal. It does appear for now that recorded programming will only be seen the living room TV. My understanding was you could only have 1 dvr on an account. Not so but you can only have one genie set up. Nice thing there is no additional dvr fee and each receiver is $6.50 per month and I'll receive same programming as home. Not perfect but close.

Soccerloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:36 AM   #22

Maryland
Bill, I believe you can turn the receiver services off when not in use...so you aren't paying for it all winter. As far as hooking up services to the trailer, check into SD services...since no Genie, you may not need the whole SWM setup and can get away with an easier install. The coax in the wetbay makes its way to a jumper and the antenna booster. I think someone posted a wiring diagram of the coax last year (or so it seems). You may be able to use the coax already installed. I know that my installer did something to the back of the jumper panel, I will pull it apart Saturday morning to see what he installed....however, he set mine up with no intention of using the RV wiring, after the jumper, for satellite services.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:54 AM   #23

New Jersey
I used the metal plate on the roof for my install just to be safe, mounted the power/control box in the cabinet where the light switches are. I pulled the fireplace out and installed the bridge on the wood just above the fireplace being there was an outlet there and all your cable connections can be repaired with quality ends at this time. The cable feed from the dish I ran down the wall the fireplace is in between the bathroom, just measure this 10 times before you drill a hole in the roof. We installed the main box in the living room and the other 2 tv's have a genie. the outside tv we just use the antenna or campground cable but could easily pull a genie from another room or simply add another.
Real Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:01 PM   #24

New Jersey
directv will allow more than one genie, we did it. you have to tell them its for another building more than 150 feet from your home. the reason they say this is if you have two in the same house they fight each other. I know when the Tv is close to my house and the client is turned on my house client picks up the outside genies. find a good directv installer to call it in for you and no problems, it can be done we did it.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #25

Nevada
Directv did told me that I can turn off receivers any time however we use our voltage all year on average two weekends a month. The hr 24 receiver is Swm compliant if you don't have Swm dish you have to do install some type of something. Even with genie which I would love you still have to make roof penetration. For those that have done their own install wondering if you drilled from the inside or outside? Will call directv again and see if I can convince to give me another genie.
Appreciate replies!!
Bill
Old 09-23-2015, 02:24 PM   #26

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
You might pull the drawer under the stove, it's roomy under there and there is an outlet that services the exterior TV. On my 3800 that is.
Yep, that's where it was. Crawled down there this morning and found it. Thanks!
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 04:38 PM   #27

Nevada
Directv traveler install

Ok here is what happened on my receiver situation. Finally got someone at direc that new programming and what the receivers were capable of

Ended up with hr-24 500 dvr/receiver and my bedroom will be an h25 mini receiver. These units as well as my winegard traveler are SWM. As a result will be able to view recorded programming in the bedroom. Cost for these is $200 for dvr and $100 for h 25. Agent direct gave me a $100 discount. Not bad. They delivered units to my wife this as I am traveling. Direc tech was ready install but I am gone. He left two splitters and an extra power supply. He also left name and number and is more than willing to return if I need help. Oh and yes only one genie system per account. And yes you can have more than one dvr per account with no extra dvr fee. So my bill will increase $13 per month and will have same programming as home. Yes!!![emoji322]
Old 09-26-2015, 10:19 PM   #28

New Jersey
your talking to the wrong people that are telling you 1 genie. I have two and it can be done. you need to tell them its in a different bldg on the property. I will be more than happy to give anyone the number of the guy that hooked me up.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:36 PM   #29

Nevada
Not surprised. I had agents that told me I couldn't have two dvr's. I'll be home Monday and check things out. My home has none wireless genie I tried telling them about having a place 100' away from main house. No way. I'll call again Monday. This system
At least will do what I want
Old 09-26-2015, 10:40 PM   #30

Nevada
Please send number. Thanks bill
Old 09-27-2015, 01:49 AM   #31

New Jersey
Bill,
Call Terry 731.644.0190 or email gb11563@comcast.net
he is a Directv dealer/installer and hooked me up no issues last April. what happened is I purchased all the equipment new from him off ebay. I wired everything up and called to activate it and they told me we could only have 1 genie like they tell everyone. I spoke to Terry and he said thats not so if its in another bldg 150 feet away it can be done. anyhow its all working just fine. Let me know how you make out.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:51 AM   #32

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerloco View Post
Directv did told me that I can turn off receivers any time however we use our voltage all year on average two weekends a month. The hr 24 receiver is Swm compliant if you don't have Swm dish you have to do install some type of something. Even with genie which I would love you still have to make roof penetration. For those that have done their own install wondering if you drilled from the inside or outside? Will call directv again and see if I can convince to give me another genie.
Appreciate replies!!
Bill
I will try to get you pics of my install tomorrow, very clean. drilled from the roof down but measured 10 times.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:20 AM   #33

Nevada
Very well. Will be measuring a bunch!! Thanks
Old 10-02-2015, 03:36 AM   #34

Nevada
Directv traveler install

Alrighty completed my Directv traveler installation today. About 5 pm today everything activated and working. Like many projects some planning was helpful. Wasn't rushed into getting it done which was nice. When I received shipping box it weighed 74 lbs which made me a bit wary of getting unit on top. As it turned out actual satellite antenna weighed about 55lbs no problem even for an older guy like me. Hauled it up extension ladder with no major problem. Could have spent a lot of time for placement but ended up installing between AC units. Installing dish was very easy. Used a large install plate first. Identified location, located plate and marked around perimeter with a marker moved plate a laid down a substantial bead of caulking on the inside of line. Dropped plate down and secured with screws. Next antenna unit marking out location caulking and then fastening unit with screws. Next I hooked antenna controller with extension cord and observed unit do its thing locating satellites in quick order. Very cool. Inside I determined receiver location. Dvr/receiver in the living room and mini receiver in bedroom. Had some trepidation about drilling holes in the roof but turned out to be easy. Determined where I need cabling in each room. Next I eyeballed on the roof for any issues. Went back inside and drilled from inside to the top roof. Easy and was able to use standard length drill bits. For the bedroom where I located antenna controller and coax cable from dish I used a 13/16th bit. For the living room only needed a 1/2 inch bit for one coax cable. Spent time locating power supply for antenna and controller then did the the same for mini receiver. In the living room had plenty of room to mount Swm power supply and power strip with circuit breaker. Super nice to have same service as home in great hd quality. Fun project. Camping world wanted $800 for install. Crazy had fun!!
Old 10-02-2015, 04:17 AM   #35

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerloco View Post
Alrighty completed my Directv traveler installation today. About 5 pm today everything activated and working. Like many projects some planning was helpful. Wasn't rushed into getting it done which was nice. When I received shipping box it weighed 74 lbs which made me a bit wary of getting unit on top. As it turned out actual satellite antenna weighed about 55lbs no problem even for an older guy like me. Hauled it up extension ladder with no major problem. Could have spent a lot of time for placement but ended up installing between AC units. Installing dish was very easy. Used a large install plate first. Identified location, located plate and marked around perimeter with a marker moved plate a laid down a substantial bead of caulking on the inside of line. Dropped plate down and secured with screws. Next antenna unit marking out location caulking and then fastening unit with screws. Next I hooked antenna controller with extension cord and observed unit do its thing locating satellites in quick order. Very cool. Inside I determined receiver location. Dvr/receiver in the living room and mini receiver in bedroom. Had some trepidation about drilling holes in the roof but turned out to be easy. Determined where I need cabling in each room. Next I eyeballed on the roof for any issues. Went back inside and drilled from inside to the top roof. Easy and was able to use standard length drill bits. For the bedroom where I located antenna controller and coax cable from dish I used a 13/16th bit. For the living room only needed a 1/2 inch bit for one coax cable. Spent time locating power supply for antenna and controller then did the the same for mini receiver. In the living room had plenty of room to mount Swm power supply and power strip with circuit breaker. Super nice to have same service as home in great hd quality. Fun project. Camping world wanted $800 for install. Crazy had fun!!
No pictures it was not done.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:20 AM   #36

Nevada
I will post some pics tomorrow.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:14 AM   #37

Nevada
Directv traveler install

Here are pics of living room and bedroom receiver installs. In the bedroom is the controller for traveler antenna and the h25 mini receiver. I placed power supplies behind shelf unit which hides them fairly well. In the living mounted dvr/receiver and my blu ray player under tv cabinet. Mounted power supply and plug strip inside. Even though receiver and blu Ray are beneath tv cabinet there still is nearly 6'4" of clearance to floor at 6' 2 no problem. Because I ran separate coax cables to each tv this install still allows antenna tv to work as installed by factory. Had to go into town today and have a big cycle ride tomorrow but will post pics of traveler antenna. Watching this thing work is so cool

Very happy with end result
Old 10-05-2015, 07:43 PM   #38

Nevada
Ok here is directv antenna installation. Coax I used is approved outdoor so it is secured with cable clamps every 16 inches. Later on I will run one more cable to garage tv. The antenna is amazing the way it quickly locates all 3 satellites. Also it stows very compactly and being behind ac unit it blocks some of the wind.

Now I have same programming as home with a dvr/receiver that can deliver recorded programming to bedroom. Unit was pricey but ongoing cost of $13 per month very nice. We use our rig 2 to 3 weekends a month year round so having satellite tv will be very convenient. The satellite unit install was extremely easy. Within 20 minutes after laying location out I was able to fire up antenna.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:08 AM   #39

Michigan
Very nice. I would love this setup. Unfortunately, we camp in allot of wooded areas so I have to stick to my vucube
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:01 PM   #40

Nevada
Understand. We camp in a variety of areas but today headed to Lake Tahoe to enjoy some fall weather. There are tall pines so we'll see how it works