dealer told me I bought the wrong generator - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2019, 08:19 PM   #21

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by videoarizona View Post
Call MicroAir and ask them if they have a schematic for your AC unit...bet they do...They did mine and I have an Advent AC. I received a pdf file with the instructions and diagram!

https://www.microair.net/collections...nt=30176048267

No...I don't work for them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
I agree about reaching out to Micro Air, they are very helpful and know what's up. I happily plug the product, too. No, I don't work for them either. :-) When our camper was brand new I installed the hard start capacitor (SUPCO SPP6) that is often touted as the way to get your generator to start an RV 13.5 kBtu AC. But still our Yamaha 2400 was not able to reliably run it when we really wanted AC, so I quit even bringing our generator along. Then I got curious about Micro Air and bought and installed it. It works, generator is now always brought along and much appreciated when it is blazing hot out.
I owe you all a big thank you. I was shocked to learn today that a hard start capacitor DOES NOT reduce the starting current of the compressor, but provides increased compressor starting torque. I've read a lot of articles and forum posts that claim the opposite. So adding a hard start will not help running your AC with a generator. So now I need to figure in the additional $300 cost of the easy start to a generator. The gentleman I talked to said that a 2000w Honda generator would run my 15k unit with the easy start anywhere east of the Mississippi, which is incredible. You could literally run your entire camper off of 2 paralleled 2000w invertors.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:16 AM   #22

Michigan
I installed the Micro Air on all three of my AC's (yes, it is an investment). But I can run all three AC's at once now. We love this when we are boondocking at hot NASCAR events in the dead of summer. I will never own another rig without installing Micro Air immediately again. I do not work for them - just a great product.

donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:27 PM   #23

New Jersey
Hi Guys,
I own two champion 2000 Watt generators and was hoping to be able to run my 13,500 btu AC unit on one generator using the easy start package from micro air. So I called them gave them the whole story and they told me that even with the easy start installed it would still need to run both generators to start the AC unit. Give them a call and ask the question. They were honest with me.

all the best and safe travels
Pat
Allentown, NJ
Firstime RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:32 PM   #24

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstime RVer View Post
Hi Guys,
I own two champion 2000 Watt generators and was hoping to be able to run my 13,500 btu AC unit on one generator using the easy start package from micro air. So I called them gave them the whole story and they told me that even with the easy start installed it would still need to run both generators to start the AC unit. Give them a call and ask the question. They were honest with me.

Pat

When I spoke with them they said a quality inverter generator in the 2200-2500 watt range would run the AC with an EasyStart. Smaller than that would be an issue.
Jayro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:44 PM   #25

Tennessee
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Pat
Must not be the same output from a Champion to the Honda, he told me one Honda would run my 15k unit. Of course you can buy 2 Champions for what one Honda costs.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:52 PM   #26

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Must not be the same output from a Champion to the Honda, he told me one Honda would run my 15k unit. Of course you can buy 2 Champions for what one Honda costs.

Could be. I know the outside temp has an effect on the amps required to start the compressor, plus altitude has an effect on the output of the generator. Maybe that is why he specified the region the 2000w Honda would work in. I believe they guaranteed you could run the AC anywhere in any temp with the 2200-2500watt generator.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:34 PM   #27

New Jersey
Micro air has experience with many generators, so I cant argue with success.

I think the Hondas have a greater displacement and can handle larger starting loads.

In my case, the AC would use almost the entire output of the 2000 watt Honda leaving very little capacity to run anything else.

For the same price my two champions running in parallel, deliver more than enough power (4000 watts peak/3400 watts continuous) to the AC along with a few other normal loads, such as battery charging lights etc.

It's not a simple choice since you need to evaluate what you want to accomplish, with a number of factors to consider.

I do like the way the use the term "quality" though".
I learned a long time ago that quality means conformance to requirements. Not the most expensive gadget or the one with the most frills...

All the best and safe travels.
Pat
Allentown, NJ
Firstime RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:44 PM   #28

Indiana
Quote:
Micro air has experience with many generators, so I cant argue with success.

I think the Hondas have a greater displacement and can handle larger starting loads.

In my case, the AC would use almost the entire output of the 2000 watt Honda leaving very little capacity to run anything else.

For the same price my two champions running in parallel, deliver more than enough power (4000 watts peak/3400 watts continuous) to the AC along with a few other normal loads, such as battery charging lights etc.

It's not a simple choice since you need to evaluate what you want to accomplish, with a number of factors to consider.

All the best and safe travels.
Pat

Your right on about evaluating your need. Ease of transport (size and weight) was big for me. Plus cost. I came out ahead purchasing the smaller generator and a MicroAir vs getting a bigger generator. Fuel consumption is a little less with the smaller generator, but not sure if runtime on a tank is any longer due to the smaller tank. Eventually I would like to figure out a way to connect a larger fuel tank to my generator for the times I am away from the trailer at tournaments etc, but want to keep the AC running.

I don’t use a lot of high amp draw items at 1 time and don’t have an issue turning off 1 to use another. It also helped that MicroAir had it as a package deal on sale at the time.