Converter / inverter question ??? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #1

Alberta
Question Converter / inverter question ???

Quick question ... Why Should the converter breaker be shut off when running the inverter?
When I had the solar panels and inverter installed they told me to shut the breake off to to the converter when turning on the inverter. !? Any thoughts ??

D-Maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:25 AM   #2

Washington
No transfer switch?

Old 03-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #3

Alberta
Good idea. But I think there kind if transfer switch was or is just telling me to shut off the converter breaker. Are transfer switches hard to wire in?
Old 03-28-2013, 10:55 PM   #4

Washington
Yeah, that was my thought, you're a manual transfer switch.

Does the inverter power just a couple outlets or does it power the entire coach? If it powers the converter, I wonder if they want you to shut it off so it doesn't try charging the batteries.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #5

Alberta
The inverter powers the whole coach.i think it does charge the batteries cause like I said prior if I don't shut off the converter it will hit full power and when i do I loose a one notch on the battery gauge. My big conserne is do I need to be turning of the breaker to the converter while running my inverter or will I wreck or fry some thing if I don't shut the converter off. Is it bad for the inverter or to run power through the converter?
Old 03-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #6

Montana
I'm not sure if you are referring to a combo inverter/charger, I'm not familiar with those. But in a traditional stand alone converter and stand alone inverter setup you most definitely should shut the breaker to the converter off if you are running the whole RV off the inverter. I.e., plugging the shore power cable directly into the inverter AC outlet. This is because your converter works to charge your batteries anytime it's plugged into AC power. If you were to allow the converter to try and do that off inverter AC power, you would be allowing the converter to try and charge the batteries using power that is being drawn from those same batteries. Because the DC to AC back to DC conversion is in no way 100% efficient, you would be creating and endless loop of power drain on the batteries. A potentially big one, too, since the converter may try and pull quite a few AC amps.
Here's some reading.
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Converter Left On Powered by Inverter--Measurements
Old 03-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #7

British Columbia
Ewarnerusa...thanks for the simple explanation.
Great job.
Coops
Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #8

Alberta
Thank you very much that is the explanation I have been trying to get and I under stand what your saying.