Blew the breaker - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2017, 05:46 AM   #1

Texas
Blew the breaker

All i did was try to blow dry my hair.

KathyJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:12 AM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Main breaker or the circuit the hair dryer was on?

Typical blow dryer is 1100-1500 watts which works out to around 10-12 amps, which is between a third and half your total amps coming in on a 30 amp trailer. If you had the A/C on, fridge and possibly the electric water heater element I wouldn't be surprised.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:15 PM   #3

Florida
common problem. happens all the time. Look to see what else you have plugged in. MOST of the circuits in an RV are connected together, the max allowed is 5 outlets in series on one cb by the NEC. MOST of the circuit breakers in an RV are 15 amp which "trips" at 60% of its rated value (data center cb's are rated at 90 - 100% rated value). 12v systems are on fuses. Once you learn what is connected together, you will be happier. By the way, if you tripped the breaker on the campground side, figure out what is most likely running (WahooNC is correct) at the same time. More of an issue in the wintertime since those electric heaters pull LOTS of power as well as the hot water heater and furnace (if running). IF that is an issue, possibly you could purchase a 50 amp to 30 amp pigtail and use the 50 amp outlet if available.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:50 PM   #4

Tennessee
It seems like it was only yesterday that I had "the blow dryer" talk with the wife.

Especially since she's a hair stylist by trade and has a $350 blow dryer that puts out a staggering 1900 watts. Yes dear, it's like running 2 small microwaves at a time.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:00 PM   #5

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
...MOST of the circuit breakers in an RV are 15 amp which "trips" at 60% of its rated value...
Where did you get that from????????????
Unless someone changed the NEC rules recently, A circuit breaker will carry 100% of its rated load. It will carry 80% of its rated load on a continuous basis (more than 3 hours).
nickthehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:34 PM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthehunter View Post
Where did you get that from????????????
Unless someone changed the NEC rules recently, A circuit breaker will carry 100% of its rated load. It will carry 80% of its rated load on a continuous basis (more than 3 hours).

NEC states that they be rated between 80% and 100% but conversations with Schneider say the are reliable to 60% for sure. Plus, they have a 20% tolerance so an 80% breaker may trip at 80% - 16 or almost 60% - ish while the 100 % stuff is supposed to be 100 to 125%.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:59 PM   #7

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
NEC states that they be rated between 80% and 100% but conversations with Schneider say the are reliable to 60% for sure. Plus, they have a 20% tolerance so an 80% breaker may trip at 80% - 16 or almost 60% - ish while the 100 % stuff is supposed to be 100 to 125%.
I think you need to have another conversation with Schneider (whoever he is). We are not talking about 80% breakers, we are talking about full load breakers. 80% breakers are a whole different animal and last I knew, they weren't used in RV applications. And the 20% tolerance is for continuous load (more than 3 hours).
nickthehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:06 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthehunter View Post
I think you need to have another conversation with Schneider (whoever he is). We are not talking about 80% breakers, we are talking about full load breakers. 80% breakers are a whole different animal and last I knew, they weren't used in RV applications. And the 20% tolerance is for continuous load (more than 3 hours).
ummm... ok. I am sure they put 100% (precision) breakers in these rv's.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:44 PM   #9

Texas
Water heater, fridge and a.c. all on. 😃
KathyJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:06 PM   #10

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyJB View Post
Water heater, fridge and a.c. all on. 😃
Haha, that will do it. Of course it's impossible to tell if the hot water heater was actually on or not. If the air was running and you turned on the blow dryer as the hot water element was firing up, that could do it. I tell my wife as long as the microwave and coffee pot aren't on she's good to go. Or you could just turn off the hot water heater for 10 minutes while you melt your hair.