Best way to hookup my inverter - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2019, 03:16 AM   #1

Manitoba
Best way to hookup my inverter

Hi group I have a 2018 kodiak ultimate 240bhsl and will be camping this summer at a seasonal dry campsite. I have a generator and solar panel to keep the unit and family happy but for nighttime when the gennys have to be off and the fam still wants t.v ect I bought a 1000 watt pure wave inverter and got a extra battery. my question is what's the best way to hook it up to the trailer if i simply hook it up to the battery and plug my trailer up to it will it not try and charge its batteries off itself because the converter would pull off the 120 and try to charge the batteries is pulling off of. maby not but that's what my brain is telling me lol. any advice on how to rig it in would be appreciated. thanks

moosey069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:33 PM   #2

Wisconsin
hooking up an inverter

There are multiple strategies for hooking up and inverter. The small (1000 watt) size of the inverter makes some more practical than others.

The 1000 watt inverter is an alternating current 115 volt power supply. A generator and shore power pedestals are as well. Except in certain situations, only one can be connected at a time. More expensive systems use a transfer switch to connect one at a time and to reconfigure the service entrance to the needs of the different sources. This is probably more complicated and expensive to install than you are willing to do.

Plugging the shore power cord into the inverter is another way. As you noticed, certain appliances need to be excluded when you do this. The charger/converter is one that must be turned off. My Kodiak Cub has a dedicated circuit breaker on the service panel that can be turned off.

Air conditioners, microwaves, residential refrig, electric water heater, and any other appliances that consume large amounts of current need to be off.

The 1000 watt converter does not supply enough power to run what would be one normal 15 amp household circuit. 2000 watts would be needed for that. Look at the specification labels on each appliance you want to run. The total of all devices run at the same time must be LESS THAN 1000 watts. 12 volt lights and other 12 volt appliances are run from the batteries. They do not count in the total AC power to be run from the inverter.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter kodiak